FXIII user - Need Speaker advice

So how do I decide between "PA" and "FRFR"? For the QSC Ks would you recommend 10" or 8" and any preference between the 8.2/10.2 or the older versions? Also, which Electro Voice should I consider?

"PA" and "FRFR" are marketing terms that are basically the same class of speaker system. Fractal says this in the manuals:
Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 9.33.37 AM.png
So, good PA or FRFR, are what you're after.

I think that 10" speakers are a good size for a guitar. We don't really need 12" speakers, though they're the de-facto standard in guitar cabinets, because their low end tends to clutter the sound on stage. 10" and 8" speakers tighten the bass response while keeping the highs and, if you've ever used a 2x10 or 4x10 cabinet, you'll know how punchy they are.

I'd go for the K version of QSC probably if I was to use QSC. I've heard the K12.2 used with a friend's AX8-based rig and they kick butt. They're basically FOH speakers, with a bevel on the back so they can sit at an angle if you want to use them as a floor monitor, but they only support one angle, which leads to…

I use the EV PXM-12MP stage monitors, which are pro-quality 12" speakers with a coaxial tweeter, various built-in EQ settings via a DSP, and about 700W per cabinet. I like them because they have multiple angles for setting them on the ground so I can have them at my feet firing upward toward my head, behind me firing at 90º like a typical backline cabinet, or even stacked vertically. I also like their size; I can carry two into a venue along with a guitar in my gig bag and the FM9 or FM3+FC6 in its bag… I don't want to walk too far doing that, but I have done so to avoid multiple trips. I would have bought a 10" version of them if EV made such a thing because it would have been a bit smaller and lighter.

Looking at the frequency response charts of QSC and the EV, they're close enough to flat response that either should work without any compensation in the modeler. I occasionally use a low cut on mine to compensate for stage rumble due to the cabinet shaking the stage but I never change the sound of the EVs themselves, instead, I leave them on their Monitor 2 setting which is very flat. It looks like QSC has an equivalent setting in their DSP.

I also mentioned RED SOUND's MF-10 and ELIS.8 cabinets. I had the ELIS.8 and they sound great and are definitely good choices on stage. @Marco Fanton helped design them and has many videos on YouTube demonstrating and/or using them live. They don't have built-in DSP or EQ curves, probably because they're going more for a guitar cabinet substitute. They do tip back but don't have the angles that the EVs have.

You should be able to find the EVs and QSCs in music stores here in the U.S. or North America. The EV might be sold by Dynacord in the rest of the world. I'm not sure about QSC elsewhere. RED SOUND is from Italy and G66 distributes them.

"PA" and "FRFR" are marketing terms that are basically the same class of speaker system. Fractal says this in the manuals:
View attachment 114493
So, good PA or FRFR, are what you're after.

I think that 10" speakers are a good size for a guitar. We don't really need 12" speakers, though they're the de-facto standard in guitar cabinets, because their low end tends to clutter the sound on stage. 10" and 8" speakers tighten the bass response while keeping the highs and, if you've ever used a 2x10 or 4x10 cabinet, you'll know how punchy they are.

I'd go for the K version of QSC probably if I was to use QSC. I've heard the K12.2 used with a friend's AX8-based rig and they kick butt. They're basically FOH speakers, with a bevel on the back so they can sit at an angle if you want to use them as a floor monitor, but they only support one angle, which leads to…

I use the EV PXM-12MP stage monitors, which are pro-quality 12" speakers with a coaxial tweeter, various built-in EQ settings via a DSP, and about 700W per cabinet. I like them because they have multiple angles for setting them on the ground so I can have them at my feet firing upward toward my head, behind me firing at 90º like a typical backline cabinet, or even stacked vertically. I also like their size; I can carry two into a venue along with a guitar in my gig bag and the FM9 or FM3+FC6 in its bag… I don't want to walk too far doing that, but I have done so to avoid multiple trips. I would have bought a 10" version of them if EV made such a thing because it would have been a bit smaller and lighter.

Looking at the frequency response charts of QSC and the EV, they're close enough to flat response that either should work without any compensation in the modeler. I occasionally use a low cut on mine to compensate for stage rumble due to the cabinet shaking the stage but I never change the sound of the EVs themselves, instead, I leave them on their Monitor 2 setting which is very flat. It looks like QSC has an equivalent setting in their DSP.

I also mentioned RED SOUND's MF-10 and ELIS.8 cabinets. I had the ELIS.8 and they sound great and are definitely good choices on stage. @Marco Fanton helped design them and has many videos on YouTube demonstrating and/or using them live. They don't have built-in DSP or EQ curves, probably because they're going more for a guitar cabinet substitute. They do tip back but don't have the angles that the EVs have.

You should be able to find the EVs and QSCs in music stores here in the U.S. or North America. The EV might be sold by Dynacord in the rest of the world. I'm not sure about QSC elsewhere. RED SOUND is from Italy and G66 distributes them.
Wow, thanks Greg for taking the time to give me such a comprehensively reply and for sharing your knowledge. I think I will give the QSC K10.2 a try. Thanks again! I must have two inputs since I want to run vocals too and have never run vocals through the Axe, not sure if that works well.

I think it’s possible but takes a mic preamp IIRC.
Thanks, Yes I may just get a vocal processor like a Boss VE500, need to check f that has good mic preamps.

I found a pair of QSC K8 (Mk I) for $1,000. Wonder if I should get those, it is almost half the price of new 10.2s. What do you think? I will try to play under 85dbs. so I wonder if I really need the 10s. 8s have a wide dispersion. Also, don't know if the QSC Mk II are much superior to the MK I

Thanks, Yes I may just get a vocal processor like a Boss VE500, need to check f that has good mic preamps.

I found a pair of QSC K8 (Mk I) for $1,000. Wonder if I should get those, it is almost half the price of new 10.2s. What do you think? I will try to play under 85dbs. so I wonder if I really need the 10s. 8s have a wide dispersion. Also, don't know if the QSC Mk II are much superior to the MK I
I'm not an expert on QSC, I only have a friend who used them when I was playing with him, and observed how good they sound.

8" speakers can put out a surprising amount of low end, but I think 10" is a better fit for guitar tones.

I'm not an expert on QSC, I only have a friend who used them when I was playing with him, and observed how good they sound.

8" speakers can put out a surprising amount of low end, but I think 10" is a better fit for guitar tones.
Got it. Thanks very much Greg! Really appreciate your time and help. Cheers!

Friedman ASC-12x, two of them in stereo. End game IMO. Of course you could also go 4x12 + power amp. Lots of options, no right or wrong.

That's a marketed as a guitar cabinet? How do vocals and backing tracks sound through it?
They are FRFR and designed for guitar modeling. As for vocals and multiple tracks at once I have never tested it but they are supposed to be flat and neutral. They have a page on it on their website.

Depending on how often you are putting drums or bass in backing tracks into your speakers, I'd be looking for something like a pair of srx812p, which are 12" pa speakers.
If you need vocals, then get a small mixer to go with them as well.
If you want huge bass and have money to spare, add a matching sub too. (It would be unneeded with just guitar I expect, but amazing with drums)

Mine sound amazing with everything I ask of them.
A few times I used a single 812p for a drum wedge with an electric kit, and the drummer was very happy.

Many options in this thread will sound great on guitars, but if you really want to feel the music, I'd be looking for something designed with that in mind.

Oh, and something that you can take out of the garage if that need ever arises would be added bonus.

Depending on how often you are putting drums or bass in backing tracks into your speakers, I'd be looking for something like a pair of srx812p, which are 12" pa speakers.
If you need vocals, then get a small mixer to go with them as well.
If you want huge bass and have money to spare, add a matching sub too. (It would be unneeded with just guitar I expect, but amazing with drums)

Mine sound amazing with everything I ask of them.
A few times I used a single 812p for a drum wedge with an electric kit, and the drummer was very happy.

Many options in this thread will sound great on guitars, but if you really want to feel the music, I'd be looking for something designed with that in mind.

Oh, and something that you can take out of the garage if that need ever arises would be added bonus.
Yes that's what Greg indicated too, a PA/FRFR. I won't go bigger than 10. Used to have 12" PA speakers and they were just too loud for home. Don't see the SRX available in 10". Wish the QSC CP were availble in 10.

I used 2 x Yamaha DXR10's for a long time with my AxeFX II and then the AxeFX III. I moved onto Yamaha HS8s which I've used for about a year now but will be moving back to the Yamaha DXR (12 this time) because they translate so well to the front of house.

With a large room you could even get a sub (like I did with the DXS12) for extra oomph.

I have a pair of QSC k 10s they are way more then I need but you get that cabinet feel when you turn them up. I always enjoyed feeling the vibration of real amps when playing loud. You get this with the QSC k 10s. also to note that you can put them in any position( IE floor .stands or just standing up in the corner). that wattage is crazy. I will never use that much. QSC has some video's on the use of the k series but doesn't go over optimal setting for the QSC k 10s for FRFR..to bad
P.S I tried the 8s ....10 much better!!!! 12s way tooo much...

I used 2 x Yamaha DXR10's for a long time with my AxeFX II and then the AxeFX III. I moved onto Yamaha HS8s which I've used for about a year now but will be moving back to the Yamaha DXR (12 this time) because they translate so well to the front of house.

With a large room you could even get a sub (like I did with the DXS12) for extra oomph.
Thanks bread! I really want more sound dispersion than what Studio monitors offers so I will definitely go the PA speaker route, just need to decide 8" or 10". Considering QSC CP8, K8.2 and 10.2, and Yamaha DXR8 DXR10 and DBR10. Too many choices :)

I have a pair of QSC k 10s they are way more then I need but you get that cabinet feel when you turn them up. I always enjoyed feeling the vibration of real amps when playing loud. You get this with the QSC k 10s. also to note that you can put them in any position( IE floor .stands or just standing up in the corner). that wattage is crazy. I will never use that much. QSC has some video's on the use of the k series but doesn't go over optimal setting for the QSC k 10s for FRFR..to bad
Thanks Terref69! I need to decide 8" or 10". Considering QSC CP8, K8.2 and 10.2, and Yamaha DXR8 DXR10 and DBR10. I guess you would vote for the K10.2s Have you tried any of the others?

What setting do you use with them. I’ve never gotten a clear answer as to which setting is the most flat. I’d used studio monitor setting, but was told by another member to keep it at default.

Sorry to steer off track. What speaker are you leaning towards?

What setting do you use with them. I’ve never gotten a clear answer as to which setting is the most flat. I’d used studio monitor setting, but was told by another member to keep it at default.

Sorry to steer off track. What speaker are you leaning towards?
use the default .. studio is good to. note you have a eq on board as well, punch up the looper and stand back away from the speaker as it plays and adjust the eq... mess with other setting to..I asked QSC to put out a video on FRFR.. they have not done it yet????
somehow I don't think they know how may people are getting there speaker's.

I can only vouch for what I have experience with. Our drummer has a pair of QSC 10.2 that he uses for monitors. Very clean, very loud (I have to rein him in by controlling what goes to his monitors, I do the mix as well as play guitar). I have an Alto TX 310 that I use as personal monitor on stage. Works to tell me what I am doing but would NOT recommend for mixing in a room. Colors the sound too much. Then I have a Mackie Thump 15A. 15 inch speaker plus tweeter, and this is what I would recommend. Nice accurate clean sound, plenty of volume on hand. Also have a pair of JBL 610s, 10 inchers with a really nice sound. We use those as our band monitors and no complaints. Accurate clean sound and lots of headroom. Also have a pair of JBL EON 700s, but for just about anything those are overkill.

Back
Top Bottom