FXII just as an FX processor

Well, my FX2 is here. I just took a moment to make sure it was in working order and that is way indeed. My first thing is to figure out how to be able to use my FCB1010 to control the FX2 volume. I did see some FAQ's on this so I'm gonna have to bear down and read it tonite ... or if some already knows you're more that welcome to tell me

question for the 'Axe fx only for effects users': curious, how do you all connect the Axe fx to your amp?
1) using the fx loop of the amp?
2) putting the amp in the fx loop of the Axe fx?
3) using the 4 cable method?
4) placing the Axe fx before a (clean?) amp.

I plan to use it in the fx loop of my amp to start. As I better understand the fx2, I might use the 4cm so I can use things like the wah

question for the 'Axe fx only for effects users': curious, how do you all connect the Axe fx to your amp? 1) using the fx loop of the amp? 2) putting the amp in the fx loop of the Axe fx? 3) using the 4 cable method? 4) placing the Axe fx before a (clean?) amp.

So far I mainly use it before a clean amp (70s era non master vol Marshall JMP 100)
I use my own drive and fuzz pedals before the AF2 ( add pitch modulation and delays as needed) and then into amp

I am currently experimenting with driving the amp more or using one of my vintage master vol Marshalls and using a voodoo amp STL-1 ( speaker to line box) to peel off a line level (post power amp section)signal from Marshall to feed rear of AF2.
Then feed the out of AF2 into Matrix power amp to feed one or two "wet"cabs.

This will allow me to put more of the drive and gain tasks on the head vs pedals.one of my heads just sounds so mean that way.
Then I don't have to mod the head for an FX loop, still get the crazy combined drive pedal + pushed head sound and I can use the AF2 for pitch modulation and delays as needed

For recording I use just the AF2

question for the 'Axe fx only for effects users': curious, how do you all connect the Axe fx to your amp?
1) using the fx loop of the amp?
2) putting the amp in the fx loop of the Axe fx?
3) using the 4 cable method?
4) placing the Axe fx before a (clean?) amp.

#4. i go straight in to my redplate blackloop 1x12. i only use the clean channel and get all of my overdrive/distortion from the drive blocks in the axe fx

good news... I got the fcb1010 hooked up to my FX2 and got each of the buttons to changes my patches and got expression pedal A to work as a master volume control on all of the stock patches...yeah... Next, is figure out how to create a patch that has only effects in them and then hook this puppy up to my TriAmp. I expect a full day of playing.

joe...

I use the AXE FX in my Bogner fx loop using 4 CM. VERY important to set your input levels correctly and work the I/O pads if required. I do use one of the drive pedals but I agree they are not the forte of the AX2.

very curious if the people here who use the 4CM have this noise from the FX loop of the Axe fx? I didn't try it with with an amp but only with effect pedals and the noise was just too much for me. Tried everything; using different pedals, adjust the output boost pad and other settings etc. but nothing helped. The Fx loop in the Axe fx is just too noisy for me and therefor unusable. Not sure if it is the same for amps and pedals? I have read this noise problem from other users as well and heard there was a fix. But then I have to send my unit to G66. Can anyone confirm this? does it fall in the warranty? I want to know before I contact G66.

I just got the fx2 working in my fx loop of my triamp. I am not doing 4cm. I used the in/out of the fx2 and I created a couple patches and it sounds perfect. I did have to boost the global gain up a notch so that the output volume match that of when I was using to loop or not. i want to try to create more patches later. Btw, all of the effects I am using are those that sit after the preamp

Joe...

The best tip here was to put your filter block behind the FX Loop on the layout. That made a huge difference. I've been doing a ton of experimenting with my AXE FX and my Blues Deluxe tube amp. After going at it for almost a year I still go back to the responsiveness and complexity of tone a real fender amp gives me versus the AXE through my QSC K12 and my AXE FX through my BWG power amp and 2x12 JBL D120 Cab. My Blues Deluxe also has a JBL D120, so its a great speaker and can function like a FR Monitor in terms of reproducing sound versus colouring it.

What surprised me was that I'm gravitating towards using the amp and cab sims in front of the BD's preamp. Sure they colour the sound, but they also act as mild clean boosts with a touch sensitivity to OD when I crank up my guitar volume.

So far I'm using the 4CM. But I also have a Silverface Vibrolux. Can anyone shed some light on the never really mentioned old school one cable method. My results on the 4CM is its a tone sucker big time when I'm trying to let the Blues Deluxe just be itself, and the one cable method is giving me more grief in terms of amplifying noise.

For the sceptics out there here's a demo I put together comparing the various setup options - 4CM, Amp as a poer amp only and straight digital.

The best tip here was to put your filter block behind the FX Loop on the layout. That made a huge difference. I've been doing a ton of experimenting with my AXE FX and my Blues Deluxe tube amp. After going at it for almost a year I still go back to the responsiveness and complexity of tone a real fender amp gives me versus the AXE through my QSC K12 and my AXE FX through my BWG power amp and 2x12 JBL D120 Cab. My Blues Deluxe also has a JBL D120, so its a great speaker and can function like a FR Monitor in terms of reproducing sound versus colouring it.

What surprised me was that I'm gravitating towards using the amp and cab sims in front of the BD's preamp. Sure they colour the sound, but they also act as mild clean boosts with a touch sensitivity to OD when I crank up my guitar volume.

So far I'm using the 4CM. But I also have a Silverface Vibrolux. Can anyone shed some light on the never really mentioned old school one cable method. My results on the 4CM is its a tone sucker big time when I'm trying to let the Blues Deluxe just be itself, and the one cable method is giving me more grief in terms of amplifying noise.

For the sceptics out there here's a demo I put together comparing the various setup options - 4CM, Amp as a poer amp only and straight digital.

Sounds great!! And it seems like your enjoying it, so go for it.

Back
Top Bottom