FX8 with Mark II JP MIDI

DaveP

Inspired
I am trying to wrap my head around using the FX8 as a midi controller for switching channels on the JP-2C.
I understand the footswitch assignment part but is it possible to use a pedal board layout using 8 separate effects both pre/post (4CM) and use it to switch channels on the amp?

Would that be setup as part of the X/Y toggle on the individual switch?

Basically I want to be able to use 8 switches to switch amp functions and 8 for pedal board effects.

the fx8 can't be used as a full-featured midi controller, per se. what i mean is with most "midi controllers" all switches can be programed to do whatever you want.

the fx8 CAN control midi features, but it is restricted to 2 MIDI blocks and Preset and Scene MIDI commands. you'd need 8 MIDI blocks to do what you describe.

i don't have time to explain the details right now, unfortunately, but you can probably do everything you want with a combination of the features. use the Blocks for things you need on/off access to. use Scenes and Presets for changing Channels. lots of ways to do it. you won't have 8 midi functions sitting waiting for you to hit, though you might not need it either.

Thanks Chris, I will play with it some more. It would be great if the Mesa would allow your to use the footswitch and the MIDI at the same time. Unfortunately it's one or the other.

Thanks Chris, I will play with it some more. It would be great if the Mesa would allow your to use the footswitch and the MIDI at the same time. Unfortunately it's one or the other.
oh i did not know that.

The footswitch doesn't have FX on/off. MIDI allows this functionality as well as toggling Shred on/off along with some other combinations. My idea was to use the FX8 for all the amp switching using an X/Y toggle for switches 1-8.
According to the manual:
The MIDI Block offers X/Y capability. The X and Y states can each have completely different settings.
Do the MIDI block take a lot of CPU? If not, adding a total of 4 MIDI Blocks would solve the issue. That would allow 8 amp function changes.

Last edited:
The footswitch doesn't have FX on/off. MIDI allows this functionality as well as toggling Shred on/off along with some other combinations. My idea was to use the FX8 for all the amp switching using an X/Y toggle for switches 1-8.
According to the manual:
The MIDI Block offers X/Y capability. The X and Y states can each have completely different settings.
Do the MIDI block take a lot of CPU? If not, adding a total of 4 MIDI Blocks would solve the issue. That would allow 8 amp function changes.
MIDI blocks take almost 0 CPU, but there are only 2. you will have to use Scenes to send other commands. again, i'd suggest Scenes and/or Presets for channel changes, and use MIDI blocks if you need to use something else. don't get "stuck" trying to setup all the MIDI controls - you may not really need them all.

I'm very interested in this as well. I have a JP-2C limited version on order and I just picked up an FX8. So far the FX8 is working nicely with my Mesa Mark V, however my main purpose in buying it was to be able to handle some MIDI operations for the new JP-2C amp and handle effects as well in an all-in-one type solution. I spoke with someone at Fractal in advance on this and apparently after reaching out to JP's tech, it was determined that this solution should work well.

My thought is that per scene, I would only need to change one or two things at a time on the amp as I imagine that most of the state of the amp will be rather static on each channel for the type of music I play. Simultaneous channel switching and effects changes will be the most important thing, since I don't see myself needing to switch the EQ on or off much, and I probably won't be using the amp's built-in reverb. I think being able to turn "Shred" mode off and on might be the next most important thing for me.

I'm very interested in this as well. I have a JP-2C limited version on order and I just picked up an FX8. So far the FX8 is working nicely with my Mesa Mark V, however my main purpose in buying it was to be able to handle some MIDI operations for the new JP-2C amp and handle effects as well in an all-in-one type solution. I spoke with someone at Fractal in advance on this and apparently after reaching out to JP's tech, it was determined that this solution should work well.

My thought is that per scene, I would only need to change one or two things at a time on the amp as I imagine that most of the state of the amp will be rather static on each channel for the type of music I play. Simultaneous channel switching and effects changes will be the most important thing, since I don't see myself needing to switch the EQ on or off much, and I probably won't be using the amp's built-in reverb. I think being able to turn "Shred" mode off and on might be the next most important thing for me.

I wondering how that can get done.
I have a JP-2c and a Fx8 Mark II ...problem is I'm a noob when it comes to everything except dialing in tones so i have to wait for a friend to come over to setup the midi side of things and program my scene presets so ch's and effects can get changed.
Richb

I've had my Mesa for a couple months now. Setting it up to switch channels via midi was a breeze and trust me, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to programming.

I've had my Mesa for a couple months now. Setting it up to switch channels via midi was a breeze and trust me, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to programming.
i don't think anyone is worse than me in this dept.
How sweet is the pair though huh...

i don't think anyone is worse than me in this dept.
How sweet is the pair though huh...
Read the manual, ask questions here, and experiment....that's all I did. If someone does it all for you you'll never learn. And yes, they sound sweet together.

Read the manual, ask questions here, and experiment....that's all I did. If someone does it all for you you'll never learn. And yes, they sound sweet together.
Are you using scenes with the midi change?
How did you program the two together?
Thanks!

Just curious, do I need junction box so the communication occurred? Or it just direct fx8 midi to amps midi port , I think I want change mark V 25 to more powerful Mar V 35

Just curious, do I need junction box so the communication occurred? Or it just direct fx8 midi to amps midi port , I think I want change mark V 25 to more powerful Mar V 35
the mark 5:35 doesn't have midi, and's a special plug to controll its footswitchable functions, so you'll need a midi amp switcher or a special adaptor to use the relays on the fx 8

I am trying to wrap my head around using the FX8 as a midi controller for switching channels on the JP-2C.
I understand the footswitch assignment part but is it possible to use a pedal board layout using 8 separate effects both pre/post (4CM) and use it to switch channels on the amp?

Would that be setup as part of the X/Y toggle on the individual switch?

Basically I want to be able to use 8 switches to switch amp functions and 8 for pedal board effects.
This is my current set up. My fx8 controls all parts of my jp2c via midi using 4cm. I set up the fx8 using scenes. I use all 3 channels plus shred mode. Just set up the effects you need to use 1 - 8. In each scene you can save what effects you want on or off with a midi message of what functions you want the amp to respond to. Works amazingly for me so far! Good luck!

the fx8 can't be used as a full-featured midi controller, per se. what i mean is with most "midi controllers" all switches can be programed to do whatever you want.

the fx8 CAN control midi features, but it is restricted to 2 MIDI blocks and Preset and Scene MIDI commands. you'd need 8 MIDI blocks to do what you describe.

i don't have time to explain the details right now, unfortunately, but you can probably do everything you want with a combination of the features. use the Blocks for things you need on/off access to. use Scenes and Presets for changing Channels. lots of ways to do it. you won't have 8 midi functions sitting waiting for you to hit, though you might not need it either.

Hey, how or what do you use to change the amp channel switching from the fx8 to mark V?as for the mark V are using midi for the footswtich.

And were you able to control the eq?coz sometime i need the eq on som some channel, which i was able to do it on the mark V 25.

Hey, how or what do you use to change the amp channel switching from the fx8 to mark V?as for the mark V are using midi for the footswtich.

And were you able to control the eq?coz sometime i need the eq on som some channel, which i was able to do it on the mark V 25.
Yes you can control all parts of that amp via midi. For example I have shred mode set up as a midi box in which can be switchable at any time, in any scene. If you need to be able to use all 8 of your blocks, then simply assign that midi control to a scene.

Back
Top Bottom