FX8 VS MKII

cmprock

Greetings!! I'm not regular here but wondered if I could throw out a question. I bought an FX8 sometime ago now... the effects are stellar as we all know. And I love the whole layout and UI.... SO COOL!! However, However, I bought it with intention of using it with my existing head and ditching my larger FX set up. I was told of how clean and unadulterated the input source was. I'm sorry if this comes out wrong, but this was not the impression I had. It felt different under my fingers, and just didn't have the same vibe as the head straight in. I messed with levels and so forth with some help and tips here... but it just didn't FEEL right. SO...HERE'S my question:
Is the MKII as improved in this area as described? Perhaps you guys could share some of your experiences before I make the investment in the MKII.....

Thank you in advance!

Hello,
I can only share my own experience. I have the original FX8. I find that the device has a negligible effect on the color and dynamics of the amplifier. It is simply "transparent", it reflects 99.9% of what the amplifier alone gives.
The mates have the FX8 II - and despite our best efforts, we couldn't see the differences. Conclusion: assuming your FX8 is undamaged, the problems you write about stem from the settings.
Greetings

I can't comment on the MK I vs MK II comparison, but I have found that the MK II I own to be quite transparent. It is not 100% the same as running a guitar directly into the input of the amp (a very small difference in dynamics and tone), but it is quite close and I suspect that much of that difference may be due to the additional cable length involved. The buffer on the MK II is very good and is more transparent than the tube powered buffer (VHT valvulator) that I was using previously.

I have an FX8 II mounted in a rack in 4CM so my cable lengths are very short. I find there is a slight difference than running straight into the amp but it’s 99% there. The biggest issue I have is with an EV1 expression pedal setup to run a pre volume. It’s constantly slipping the gear and has to be recalibrated. When I have the toe down you expect volume and gain to be 100% but it’s not so it takes away gain, volume, tone and sustain. Without that pedal in the way it’s pretty transparent.

I own both versions and with both I really can't tell the difference regarding feel using the FX8 in 4CM or plugging directly into one of my amps (Diezel VH-4 and Palmer FAT50). But maybe other amps react different with the FX8 in front or in the loop.

I would suggest try running through the FX8 without anything in the preset (a blank preset), and if it sounds close to 100% true bypass then add some effects one-by-one to see what colors the tone (if at all).

If you are still not getting close to a 100% true bypass with a blank preset then you should look at the noise gate settings (turn them all the way off and see if it fixed the issue).

Then try different cables .........

Also, it might just be the effects loop of your amp (unfortunately, some effects loop affect the tone of the amp when used with effects).

Adjusting any pre/post volume levels on the back of the amp can drastically change the way it affects the tone (you didn't mention what type of amp here).

If you have access to another amp then I would try the FX8 with it and see if you get the close to 100% true bypass with a blank preset.

Suggestion: A lot of posts have been placed in this forum with tips/suggestions regarding this same topic so you could benefit from looking for them and reading through them since someone might have proposed something that will help you.

Back
Top Bottom