FX8 vs AFX? Anyone own both or had to choose?

john_p

Inspired
SO my invitation to buy an fx8 is due any day, and unless I'm very wrong the ax8 won't be in the UK for a while so it occurred to me that I could sell my usual gigging amp (evh 50) and buy a used afx xl and a power amp and midi board for around the same price.

If I get the fx8, I can pair it with the evh or any of my other amps (lots of them here including old marshalls and fenders) and it should be a simple change from the G system I was using.

If I get an afx rack, it will give a lot more sound options but at the cost of extra tweaking and it won't easily integrate with any of my other amps so I'll be using my pedals if I want to gig the twin.

Any fx8 owners been through a similar decision and have any thoughts on gigging with either rig?

I must admit that whilst I was waiting on my invite for the FX8 I did toy with the idea of an AFX. However, I think the AFX is totally overkill for what I need and by the time I bought a power amp and MFC101 and cases etc, I was looking at well over double to outlay. Added to this I have just bought a Mesa MKV 25 head which is just amazing for the type of gigs I play (function band stuff).

I think for me, the FX8 will be a lot simpler to dial in than the AFX would be (I don't have a lot of patience) so I have stayed with the simpler route. The FX8 is on route and should be with me on Thursday and I must add that G66 and Sussi in particular have been fab to deal with.

I must admit that whilst I was waiting on my invite for the FX8 I did toy with the idea of an AFX. However, I think the AFX is totally overkill for what I need and by the time I bought a power amp and MFC101 and cases etc, I was looking at well over double to outlay. Added to this I have just bought a Mesa MKV 25 head which is just amazing for the type of gigs I play (function band stuff).

I think for me, the FX8 will be a lot simpler to dial in than the AFX would be (I don't have a lot of patience) so I have stayed with the simpler route. The FX8 is on route and should be with me on Thursday and I must add that G66 and Sussi in particular have been fab to deal with.

I have a Mark V 25 with the FX-8 (4 CM). Its a great setup and very quiet.

Recently sold my Axe-FX and using an FX8 with amps. Axe-FX is top notch when it comes to modeling, but for what I do it gave me too many options. Just need an amp or two with the core sounds I'm looking for, and some basic effects and the FX8 does that very well for me. Even have an EVH 5150 III 50w on the way that I bought when my AFX sold. I've been using the FX8 with my 6505 MH and it sounds stellar, so the 5150 should really work out well.

Back
Top Bottom