FX8 Noob

Ive just got this thing. Its a lot to take in going from analog pedals!

What are some tips you guys have with using this thing.

Should i use the factory presets as guidelines for my tones?

Should i remove the bulk of the factory presets to add CPU space?

Cheers any help is appreciated!

Congrats on the FX8! It is easy to get overwhelmed but the more time you spend with it, the easier it will get. The number one tip I can give anyone using any Fractal product is to literally read the manual a few times. I'm not a big reader, especially manuals, but I cannot stress enough the importance of knowing what's in the manual and where to find it. I used to be the guy that would get a new pedal and skim the quick start guide then try to figure out the rest on my own. The FX8 is not like any other gear I've used, you simply cannot get away with not knowing the manual. I've downloaded the manual to my computer and use the CTRL - F function to search for any questions that still arise.
Enough with the manual rant :D.

From there, I'd suggest going through the SETUP menus on the FX8. You may never use or tweak much of it but it's been invaluable for me knowing where certain settings can be found.

Take each effect block and go through all of the models and parameters to get a feel for what each of them do. Start with the ones you'll be using most of course and go from there. The FX8 gives us the option to go as deep as we want or keep it as simple as we want. Understanding what different parameters do will go a long way to quickly creating good presets. Your familiarity with pedals will translate into knowing what to tweak to get the sound you want once you know what each parameter does. Also, don't fall into the trap of having to have all 8 blocks filled in a preset. Unused effects still occupy CPU space.

The factory presets are a good place to start and there are some good ones to use. They will also show what the FX8 is capable of and if you break them down can help you learn how to set parameters to get certain types of effects.
The presets themselves do not affect CPU space. What people are referring to when discussing CPU space is the amount used by the effects and their combinations within a given preset.

I cannot stress enough the importance of getting very familiar with the FX8 from an operational standpoint. This seems to be the area where most of us have had issues. It will keep you from chasing your tail and save time in the long run and make using it much more enjoyable. Chris@AxeFxTutorials has some great videos I'd highly recommend.

You don't need to spend hours on end going through the manual or the FX8 itself. Taking a few minutes here and there to mess around with an effect or look through various menus will eventually make things much easier. For the first couple of weeks you may spend more time learning than playing but it will be well worth the effort. I've had mine for over 6 months now and while I haven't mastered it in any way, I have reached a place of comfort with it I thought wasn't possible when I first got it by doing these things.

Above all else, have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Great reply, I've looked at the manual again and it makes a lot more sense now that I have had a play.

How many Humbuster cables do I need if I am running the 4 cable method?

Back
Top Bottom