FX8 NEWB questions!!

Sugarlou

Hey all.

Im a new FX8 guy. Im cramming to get this thing ready for a gig Sunday ( Ive given up on tonights gig)

A couple question.

Im having trouble wrapping my head around the differences of presets and scenes. If Im understanding it would look like this.

Banks A-P ///// 8 presets per bank //// 8 scenes per preset.... So if thats the case lets say I select bank A preset 1. There are 8 scenes there as well? So like A1/1 A1/2 A1/3...etc???

How do I store lets say a drive / reverb/ chorus ( all on and mixed ) to the FX8 A1 location?? They will all be on one button? Can the blocks be toggled on / off???

Can I have a mix of scenes and stomps on the same preset. For example A1/1 is drive/ rev/ chorus....can A2 just be a rotary ? Is that then a scene or a preset?

Confused....wheres the tutorial videos?!!!!!!!!

:(

I watched the video. I'm still a bit confused though. I think what I need to engage is the scene sticky function but not sure.

I think the most confusing thing is not being able to name the 8 scenes differently. How do you remember what the 8 scenes do if they all share the same name? You can't name the preset lead tone and then change scenes and have rhythm tones.

Last edited:
Hey all.

Im a new FX8 guy. Im cramming to get this thing ready for a gig Sunday ( Ive given up on tonights gig)

A couple question.

Im having trouble wrapping my head around the differences of presets and scenes. If Im understanding it would look like this.

Banks A-P ///// 8 presets per bank //// 8 scenes per preset.... So if thats the case lets say I select bank A preset 1. There are 8 scenes there as well? So like A1/1 A1/2 A1/3...etc???

How do I store lets say a drive / reverb/ chorus ( all on and mixed ) to the FX8 A1 location?? They will all be on one button? Can the blocks be toggled on / off???

Can I have a mix of scenes and stomps on the same preset. For example A1/1 is drive/ rev/ chorus....can A2 just be a rotary ? Is that then a scene or a preset?

Confused....wheres the tutorial videos?!!!!!!!!

:(

A preset can have up to 8 blocks in it. If you select that preset and then go into Scene mode, you can select any combination of those blocks that you initially set in the preset.
Example: You set up a preset with WAH in block 1, DRV in block 2, DRV in block 3, FLG in block 4, CHO in block 5, REV in block 6. When you go into Scene mode, you could, for example, just have block 1 (DRV), block 5 (CHO) and block 6 (REV) selected for Scene 1, and then, for Scene 2, perhaps de-select block 5 (CHO) and switch in the second DRV in block 3. If you have a particular song, that using individual old style stomp boxes required you to tap dance and switch a drive off and a chorus on, well, Scene mode eliminates this need, assuming you have all the pedals you need initially set up as part of the Preset. You only need to hit one button (in Scene mode) to change multiple blocks.

To answer your other question, when you're in Scene mode, you cannot switch blocks in or out. If you toggle a switch, you will just be changing the scene within that preset. The way I use Scene mode is to step from left to right, so if a song requires a few different scenes, I start at 1 and then work my way along as the song progresses, even if scene 4 (for example) is an exact copy of scene 1. Hope that helps? Good luck with the gig :)

I use the sticky scene function. I love it. While you can't name the scenes, what I have done to help remember where things are is I use scene 5 for my cleans, 6 for basic rhythm, 7 for a heavier tone and 8 for my leads. I find the bottom row (buttons 5-8) are easier to access. I find this helps out a ton when playing in a cover band and having to do songs that have multiple tones to it. I would name the preset for the song, like one of mine is for Just Like Heaven. I use 3 different tones in that song and have it set up in that order, 5 is clean and it gets heavier/dirtier with each button to the right.

I also use preset mode/stomp box mode on songs that don't really use different tones and I will use an EQ block for a lead boost.

Just my suggestion.

DSJ

I think I'm catching on. It's hard because I'm at my day job and not in front of the FX8.

I was getting frustrated last night because I was attempting to store different names to the scenes as well as changing parameters and as I found out you can't do either.

Here's a few more beginner questions. Forgive my naivety.

I'm trying to channel change my amp. I have it working by inserting a relay block but there's also a "master" relay on the preset. What's the difference ?

Also is scene sticky preset dependant or is it global and effect all bank presets?

I was getting frustrated last night because I was attempting to store different names to the scenes as well as changing parameters and as I found out you can't do either.

Correct. That's what presets are for. Select the blocks you want and make those settings. Use XY where possible to give you another set of parameters for the same block. Then use Scenes to change the On/Off state and the XY state of those blocks. A simple example may be to have all the X settings be a Clean tone for Scene 1 with appropriate blocks set on. Then Set Scene 2 for all Y settings for a distortion tone, maybe some Blocks now off, some on.

However, maybe you don't even need to use Scenes, honestly. Many people force the use of all 8 Scenes, when really they might just need 2. Or maybe just use Presets. Scenes are not better than Presets, for the most part. If you need different sounds with different block settings, use Presets.

Perhaps watch my video again sometime. It's not a quick study. Presets are pretty basic and are on basically every digital device. But XY and Scenes represent years of work and progress with Fractal products. In that video, I make some suggestions of how to use Scenes and some other questions you've asked here. So maybe take a bit more time with it? Many people have told me they completely understand the concept after giving it a good watch. (I know it's a bit different since you have an FX8.)

I'm trying to channel change my amp. I have it working by inserting a relay block but there's also a "master" relay on the preset. What's the difference ?
The Block just allows you to use a Switch to turn it on and off in Stomp mode, or have it do things per Scene. The "master" Relay is tied specifically to Scene only. So if you do use Scenes heavily and each Scene needs a specific amp channel, you can use that without taking up a Block. [/quote]

Also is scene sticky preset dependant or is it global and effect all bank presets?

It's a Global setting.

I personally would suggest you use Presets for now and Stomp mode. This is the most similar to analog gear and it will get you used to the basics of the unit. Maybe you don't even need to use Scenes yet. Once you start needing to turn on Chorus, turn off Reverb, change amp channels, and change the Drive type from X to Y over and over all at the same time, perhaps you can make 2 Scenes only with those changes and see how it works.

I've been gigging with my FX8 for a few weeks now and there is a bit of a learning curve just for the Mode switches, changing between Stomp and Scene mode, getting to Preset changes, etc. I plan on sharing my best settings for different player styles and experience with digital gear in general on my Twitch live streams and videos soon!

I appreciate the advice and will certainly replay the video.

The reason I bought the FX8 is for scenes. I gig with a cover band doing dance to metal variety.

I have the 8 set up in preset mode for this weekends gigs for sure. Will use the amps stock channel selector pedal to handle the amp.

Cool man. Yup, just take it one step at a time, add Scenes later, add channel switching later, etc. We all bought a "rocket ship" from FAS, but at first, we need to learn what the knobs do before we try to immediately blast off to Mars! :)

Agreed.

Last nights gig went well although I wanted to tweak some parameters but since I did all my editing using USB FX8 edit Im not familiar with the onboard editing and how to "get around"! DOH!

I was confused as hell about Presets and Scenes when I first got my FX8. This is the way I personally approach the two and it has made my life so much easier.

When I'm playing with my band, I have a different Preset for each song in our set list and the Preset is named for the title of that particular song. I then use Scenes for the different guitar parts in each of those songs to eliminate the pedal dancing that I used to have to do.

If I'm simply jamming with people or by myself and have no idea what tunes we'll be doing, I have a few separate Presets that include different combinations of various effects, to cover all of the bases...it's like bringing several pedalboards along. In these situations, I don't use Scenes since I'm not sure which pedal combinations I'll necessarily need at the spur of the moment. Here I basically treat the FX8 like a traditional pedalboard and go back to the tap dancing.

Just my approach.

:encouragement:

Last edited:
yeah i figured the "scenes" out. I know it explains it in the manual but its a bit confusing. Heres how I got on board

set up a preset lets say A1

Now fill that preset with the stomps you like. Fill many blocks and assign x/y where possible ( the more blocks the more combinations u will create)

The scenes are simply different combinations of the blocks you selected for the A1 preset

Lets say preset A1 was reverb chorus delay compressor

Go to scene 1 and select just the reverb and delay

scene two reverb and chorus

scene three chorus and delay

etc to scene 8

Then set the scene "sticky" button so you are no longer turning individual blocks on and off but rather jumping from scene to scene allowing multiple blocks with one switch

Hope this helps

I watched the video. I'm still a bit confused though. I think what I need to engage is the scene sticky function but not sure.

I think the most confusing thing is not being able to name the 8 scenes differently. How do you remember what the 8 scenes do if they all share the same name? You can't name the preset lead tone and then change scenes and have rhythm tones.

Memory or tape labels if you mostly stick to one Preset but then use 8 scenes within the Preset. I think we may see a way to reassign the 8 switches in a future firmware update, but I'm not sure if we'll get a combination of stomps and scenes within a preset but that could be really useful. Have 4 scenes in the top row and then 4 stomps on the bottom row for things you want to be able to turn on and off within all 4 scenes, like a lead boost..... This is where a UI with scribble strips has a real advantage.

Back
Top Bottom