FX8 Manual Question > Amp Relays

Beardstorm

Section 4 > Pg. 19 > Relays "Important"

I'm guessing most amps that use TRS cables for amp switching are considered "Short-to-sleeve" switching. Anyone know of an amp that wouldn't work for the FX8? I have an Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII and I'm not seeing anywhere in their manual that mentions what type of switching it is. Can anyone confirm?

Also, would the RJM switch gizmo still work for the FX8 for Mesa Heads that use a 5-pin connector, i.e. Mesa F-100 head.

This is one of the biggest features for me moving to the FX8 and am trying to fully understand what amps work.

Thanks

On the Orange: I have to stand by our recommendation in the FX8 manual that you contact your amp's manufacturer. It will be a bad day if someone misinterprets a post here and then blows up an amp.

It sounds to me like you are also asking if the 1/4" to 5-pin pigtail adapter (produced by RJM?) will work to allow you to connect the FX8 directly to a Mesa head which does not have its own 1/4" TRS jack(s)?

The Switch Gizmo's manual says that like the FX8, it works by switching dual TRS relays to short tip or ring to sleeve. But we cannot advise you on other manufacturer's equipment. My advice is that you talk to Mesa. The details they would need about our product are in the FX8 manual in Chapter 4.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your post, as I'd be interested in what Mesa has to say. Perhaps they will provide a wiring diagram for the adapter pin-out. I have a Boogie Mark V with the same switch wire configuration.

Seems like there should be an easy test with a multi meter at the amps jack to verify the type but I don't know what values you should look for or how they would differ from a short-to-ground type.
Just pure speculation from a wanna-be tech on my part...

Are you guys planning on getting the RJM switch gizmo? Also, are your Mesa's 7-pin connections?

RJM Switch Gizmo - MIDI Amplifier Controller

I don't think I'll need to get one if both the Mark V 25 and Rectoverb 25 are both short to sleeve which they sound like they are. The only other amp I have is a Victory V30 which is probably the same. All 3 of my amps work on a TRS jack except the victory which is I think just a normal jack lead. It's mainly amps that have more control features like the boogie's with their 7 pin connections that would need the RJM switchers I reckon.

I don't think I'll need to get one if both the Mark V 25 and Rectoverb 25 are both short to sleeve which they sound like they are. The only other amp I have is a Victory V30 which is probably the same. All 3 of my amps work on a TRS jack except the victory which is I think just a normal jack lead. It's mainly amps that have more control features like the boogie's with their 7 pin connections that would need the RJM switchers I reckon.

Ahh. I thought those two had 7pin as well. I wasn't aware Mesa had amps with TRS channel switching.

I haven't been able to get a confirmation from Orange on this. Anyone else have any luck? Would like to confirm the Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII will work with the Relays on the FX8.

Actually, Orange did confirm that their switching is "short-to-sleeve" but there is a voltage differential to light up the LED on the footswitch.

"I spoke with my lead amp designer in the UK and he tells me that our (Orange) footswitching jacks are the short-to-sleeve type, however, there is voltage on them to light up the LED on our footswitches. In short, the customer will need to run this by Fractal to make sure this is ok"

Actually, Orange did confirm that their switching is "short-to-sleeve" but there is a voltage differential to light up the LED on the footswitch.

"I spoke with my lead amp designer in the UK and he tells me that our (Orange) footswitching jacks are the short-to-sleeve type, however, there is voltage on them to light up the LED on our footswitches. In short, the customer will need to run this by Fractal to make sure this is ok"

The FX8 will short tip-to-sleeve, ring-to-sleeve, or both. The circuit is designed to handle 200mA of current. If the current generated by that voltage drop is 200mA or less, then the FX8 will not have a problem. So, I hate to push back on Orange, but you will need to verify with them.

Joe Rogers,

I contacted Mesa Boogie in order to find out about the compatibility of their amps with the FX8's relay system. Their response is below:

"Hi Jose,

Thanks for writing us.

It is likely we’ll need to try to sit down and come with a list at some point. It’s just a lot to think about to try to be all inclusive and fortunately we’ve got our hands full right now with orders & projects. I think it safe to say though that any of the MESA amps that have quarter inch external triggers on the back of the amp will work with Fractal’s arrangement. These are jacks triggered by a latching style switch.

Hope this helps,
Trent"

I asked them if they could compile a list of compatible amps, which they will hopefully provide at some point. In the mean time, I'm not a technician so I don't know what to make out of his reply since the FX8 has 3 different options to choose from. Does his reply provide clues as to which setting to use on the FX8 with Mesa Boogie amps that have 1/4" external triggers?

Thanks!

Joe Rogers,

I contacted Mesa Boogie in order to find out about the compatibility of their amps with the FX8's relay system. Their response is below:

"Hi Jose,

Thanks for writing us.

It is likely we’ll need to try to sit down and come with a list at some point. It’s just a lot to think about to try to be all inclusive and fortunately we’ve got our hands full right now with orders & projects. I think it safe to say though that any of the MESA amps that have quarter inch external triggers on the back of the amp will work with Fractal’s arrangement. These are jacks triggered by a latching style switch.

Hope this helps,
Trent"

I asked them if they could compile a list of compatible amps, which they will hopefully provide at some point. In the mean time, I'm not a technician so I don't know what to make out of his reply since the FX8 has 3 different options to choose from. Does his reply provide clues as to which setting to use on the FX8 with Mesa Boogie amps that have 1/4" external triggers?

Thanks!

I've been running into the same issue with Mesa and Orange. it's tough getting a straight answer.

I'm having Best-Tronics make me a custom cable to go from the Mesa F-100 to the FX8 (5pin to dual TRS 1/4). They quoted $40 for 15ft. This should work for older Mesa heads that use a 5pin connection for switching.

Thanks for sharing that, Beardstorm. Since the last reply by Mesa was so ambiguous, I proceeded to ask them about my specific amps (I own a TA-30 combo and a Mark V head). This is what Trent from Mesa replied:

"Hi Jose,

The external jacks on most MESAs are short to sleeve. The footswitch jack on the TA-30 is also short to sleeve. If I remember correctly , this is what Fractal works with. It’s just important the switching isn’t a voltage differential type switching).

Hope this helps,
Trent"

However, that still doesn't answer which specific setting I need to set the FX8 to. Is it short tip-to-sleeve, short ring-to-sleeve, or both? I guess I'll wait for Fractal to answer that one (assuming they can derive the answer from the info Mesa has provided me with).

Back
Top Bottom