FX8 & Kemper - What cables for 4CM/5CM stereo?

First of all a big hello from the UK, I'm new here. I picked up a FX8 and I am really enjoying it, but now it's time to get a bit more adventurous!

Time to talk cables :) I've had a look at both units and I am getting a bit confused here, so it would be a great help if somebody would point out exactly what I need? I am aware of Humbuster cables, but the Kemper has balanced & unbalanced connections, while the FX8 also requires balanced & unbalanced/Humbuster connections.

Do I just need 4 of these Humbuster cables or is it some other combination?

Thanks in advance.

John.

Last edited:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FX8/FX8-Owners-Manual.pdf#page19
Check this if you haven’t yet...for stereo 4cm (really 5cm, or 7 if you include the stereo outs on your KPA to mixer/speakers.......) if you are going to use Humbuster you only need them on the FX8
OUTS ,not the ins, so 3 would be sufficient, 1 from the PRE OUT on FX8 to front input of KPA and 2 from POST OUT to the KPA returns , the other 2 can be standard 1/4. My experience with this specific setup led me to believe that the Humbuster may be less essential cause the IO connections on both units are so clean, you may want to try using all standard1/4 TS
Cables and see how it works for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I did have a look at the manual, but the setup seems to be for a standard amp? I'm currently using two 1/4 TS instrument cables as I'm only doing PRE fx at the moment. What has got me confused is the balanced IN 2 [POST] from the FX8 to the unbalanced Send on the Kemper, and the balanced Return from the Kemper to OUT 2 [POST]. Hence I am curious to see what others are doing before I order in some cables.

That 4cm setup is identical for amps wIth FX loop and KPA, except for the stereo option as illustrated. Try it with ALL 1/4 TS first and see if you have any ground loop issues, if not, you likely won’t need the humbusters___you may have to check the KPA manual , I don’t have it or my KPA unit available to confirm, but you may have to make some adjustments in settings to make your loop stereo ...

Last edited:
I thought I might paste this just in case others would like to try this:

(my setup is for home)

Here is my setup:

Guitar ----> External pedals (Digitech Freqout, etc…) ---> FX8 IN (PRE)
FX8 OUT (PRE) L/Mono ---> Kemper front Instrument input
Kemper Direct Output/ Send ---> FX8 IN (POST) L
FX8 OUT (POST) L ---> Kemper RETURN
FX8 OUT (POST) R --> Kemper Alternative Input

Speakers:
Kemper Master Output Left and Right XLR --> Pair of MAudio BX8s

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom