FX8 is optimized for 4CM - is the AX8 also?

Hhuent

Experienced
Many voices on this forum praise the FX8 for its 4CM capabilities, being more transparent and noiseless than other fractal units before. I wonder if the AX8 has this feature also even if it has a different purpose. I read it is supposed to have an efx loop, but does it mean it is just as well suited for 4CM as the FX8?

I can answer this for myself. Because I want to use the AX8 for many different purposes just like I use the Axe-FX II. Sometimes I use it with amp sims, cab IRs and FRFR, sometimes with amp sims into a power amp and guitar cab, sometimes into a tube amp running effects only. The Axe-FX II is excellent in all of these settings and more, and I hope the AX8 will be even better as it will not require the rack any longer (except for a small one for my SS power amp).

why would you use an amp simulator with 4cm?

So you could use it gigging with real amps for FX only, then take it home and use amp models for low-volume practice, direct recording, etc.

I own an FX8 and I've been asking this same question (as OP's) for a while..

Last edited:
I'll third that, If the AxeFX IIXL was just as transparent as the FX8 (and relays would be the icing), I could just buy it with the MFC and it would take care of my gigging with tube amp needs as well as my home recording studio needs. Also it's grid function and extra CPU (as well as SYNTH and Quad Chorus) would give me some advanced programming effects abilities that FX8 doesn't have. So even effects wise the extra CPU would make me want the Axe over the FX if it was just as transparent.

A $3000 investment and my live gig effects needs AND my studio needs would have been taken care of. As it is, I've spent $1,300 on the FX8 for live use and would still need to spend an additional $2,400 for the AxeFX to use it in the studio. As it is I am also considering a torpedo live as then I could record my tube amps with FX8. Realistically though, I am still leaning towards getting an AxeFx (or maybe some other modeller if it does well enough) in order to record at least scratch tracks. I don't like the idea of leaving my tube amp on all day just so it's ready when I want to punch in some sounds on the recording.

The new Quantum is really impressive too.

I think me and a few others are in the same boat. We had money to buy an Axe, we bought an FX8 instead because of its usability with tube amps, but we are within the 15 day return period and are having to justify getting a less powerful product just because it works better with amps. The flagship is in reach if we returned the FX8.... and ... dang it.... Quantum! Lol...

That said the FX8 is a great unit, the relays really open up some possibilities, and I've resigned myself to probably just getting an AxeFX II XL+ sometime in the future.

........ Quantum has made it harder for us new acquirers.

The thing is, if AX8 is every bit as good for 4cm on real amps, why would anyone buy FX8? I can't see them adding the relays to AX8, but the optimized 4cm part doesn't seem expensive to implement, so they might.. even though the majority of AX8 users won't use 4cm (or real amps for that matter).

Right now, I still have my Axe-Fx II strictly for studio, AND an FX8 I'm using 4cm with my real amps for the band. It's fun, but overkill and an embarrassment of riches. Of course I'm wondering if I should sell off the Axe-Fx and get an AX8 as soon as possible, THEN sell off my FX8 too. (I already sold my MFC since I don't use the Axe-Fx live anymore).

Or I could just get a Helix and be done. HAHA! Just teasing.

Back
Top Bottom