FX8 EQ block to deal with lacking amp tone controls?

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
Many multi-channel amps have one common, shared set of bass, mid, treble controls. You have separate gain and level control per channel, but you're stuck using one tonestack setting that has to work for all channels.

On my current amp, when the clean channel is perfect, it's muddy and too bassy when I switch to the crunch channel. I can improve by cranking mid and lowering bass, but then I switch back to clean and it's thin and piercing set that way.

Since I'm not willing to twist knobs on my amp every single time I switch amp channels, I dropped an EQ block into my FX8 preset to see if it could make the muddy, bassy crunch channel sound better without twisting amp knobs. It works pretty well!!!

Now it's just a matter of turning the EQ block on every time I switch to CH2, and off again when I switch to CH1. If I was using the FX8 relays to switch my amp channel, this could easily be automated so it happens with the same footswitch motion. Very cool.

Anyone else do this with their FX8 now?

I had to create EQ blocks for my bright to dark sounding guitars, haven't tried the amp idea though. Sounds cool!

Back
Top Bottom