FX8 compatibility with a Marshall JVM 410H (channel switching)

Hi all.
I'm new to the FX8 (MK2) as well and struggling using Midi blocks in my preset to switch channels on the JVM 410h.
I used the Midi1 block on 3 different footswitches for e.g. Clean, Crunch, OD. Each Midi block is set to a different PC number. This doesn't seem to work since changing parameters on one of these Midi 1 blocks changes the parameters on all 3 Midi 1 blocks. Is this the expected behaviour??
Ok, tried one Midi 1 block to send two different PC messages if on or off - this works but means that only one selected channel is indicated by a lit LED. -Not good.
Next idea. Tried to use x/y setting on the Midi1 block but I can't switch to y while editing the block as described in the manual.
Next try. Used one Midi 1 block and one Midi 2 block and set PC on and off equally. This works but optical indication is an issue again as the amp could be on CH2 but the associated LED could potentially be off.
My questions:
Why are Midi 1 blocks influencing each other?
Why is X/Y switching not working fir me on Midi blocks?
How can I manage that switching from one channel to another turns the LED indicators into the correct state? Means switching from CH 1 (Midi block 1) to 2 (Midi block 2) turns the CH1 LED off and 2 on.
If the FX 8 is really limited to 2 independent Midi blocks how can I send more than 4 different PC messages (given X/Y switching works)?
I'm sure this is a newbie issue and would truely appreciate any kind of comments!

Thx. Stefan

If you're using scenes like me, you can send a midi pc with each scene. You don't have to use midi blocks...

I've tried doing what you said, Sonicsam, but I can't make this thing work in conjunction with my bloody Marshall JVM410H (the Satriani model).

I reset the MIDI like you mentioned, and then I press a footswitch on my FX8, but it does absolutely nothing..

All my cables are a-ok. I made a post about my MIDI settings. Help?

Sonicsam is right, you don't need to use midi blocks, just the PC with each scene - this works with the regular JVM410 and the JS version (I use both). There was problems with earlier FX8 firmware, now resolved.
However, seems like you are trying to use some foot switches just to change channels on the amp, yes? Don't over complicate things - the amp just needs a single PC command for channel changes.

All I'm trying to accomplish, is whenever I activate my next Scene, I want pedals to come on/off (which is easy), and for the amp to switch channels.
This is what it won't do..

Running 5.0 firmware

I use the regular JVM410h and it works flawless with scenes...
if you scroll down on the cfg page you see the midi controls: Channel ( ch.1), PC (I use 0-15)...

If you're using scenes like me, you can send a midi pc with each scene. You don't have to use midi blocks...

Thx for your quick reply.
Didn't familiarize myself yet with scenes but from what I read I would assume that I do need Midi blocks in my preset to be able to include them into a scene.
Will continue to study the manual. :)

Sonicsam is right, you don't need to use midi blocks, just the PC with each scene - this works with the regular JVM410 and the JS version (I use both). There was problems with earlier FX8 firmware, now resolved.
However, seems like you are trying to use some foot switches just to change channels on the amp, yes? Don't over complicate things - the amp just needs a single PC command for channel changes.
Thx for your suggestions.
What I basically tried is to reproduce the same channel switch capability I do have with the original Marshall footswitch. Will dig a bit deeper into scenes as a next step.

Thx for your help. Stefan

Back
Top Bottom