FX Loop questions: running external delay pedal

caseygree

Howdy,

I am absolutely in love my Hughes & Kettner Replex delay pedal. So much so, that I'm using it with the Axe FX 2 now.

My question: I'm running it in the FX Loop Block (in between the amp block and cab block), and I seem to be overloading the pedal. (The pedal has an LED that lets you know when the input is being overloaded.) It seems to be on overload whenever I hit a note and the echos tend to fart out a little bit. Is there an ideal way to tweak the volumes in the effects loop parameters to get the most of the pedal signal, but without overloading the input? There's a ton of dials in the FX Loop -- I just don't know how to set it. (apologies if this has been answered before)

Thanks,
Case

Thanks Chris.

I guess I didn't know if there was like a "right one" to turn down. I can turn down level 2, or main, and then there is the external Output 2 knob which also seems to have an effect.

Right now I have all the send values at 0, the Mixer level maxed, and the output 2 knob about half way up.

That works fine if you're not clipping output 2. The FXL 1st page controls affect level while the block is thru-bypassed, which can be a minor issue if you need to do that. You might want to place FXL parallel to a shunt then. Set it to mute bypass mode (for unmuted decay on bypass you can use a volume or filter block before FXL instead) and set delay pedal mix to 100%.

Thanks Bakerman.

So, brings up another question: what is the difference between Thru Bypass and Mute Bypass in this situation?

I tried putting FxL in parallel, and it sounded like it double tracked everything? (Can't remember if it was in parallel to a shunt though)

Same as any block, except for the 1st page mixer deal--thru will let it pass signal when bypassed, mute will mute the block output.

If you put the FXL in parallel to a shunt, make sure your delay pedal is set for 100% mix. If it's not, you'll add another slightly delayed dry signal.

Back
Top Bottom