• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FX Loop Issue: Guidance Needed

Brian Greco

Inspired
Hello,

I’ve seen a post similar to this one, but there was no final response or resolution for the forum member.

I’m trying to get a pedal to work through the FX loop, but I am having some issues. The actual problem is that when I turn on the FX loop, the drive pedal in the chain works, but I lose the sound of my original amp block in the chain. Meaning, there is zero sound from the amp block.
FYI I am playing through my FRFR cab, but I don’t see how that would influence anything.

Here’s how I have things set up:

1. Output 2 FX Send (L) going into the “input” of the physical pedal.

2. Input 2 FX Return (L/Mono) going into the “output” of the physical pedal.

Both input 1&2 knobs are turned up and nothing is panned.

The strange thing I’m noticing is that although I cannot hear my amp block, I can only hear the physical pedal if I turn up level knobs 1&2, rather than just knob 2.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Both input 1&2 knobs are turned up and nothing is panned.

The strange thing I’m noticing is that although I cannot hear my amp block, I can only hear the physical pedal if I turn up level knobs 1&2, rather than just knob 2.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone
Input 1 and 2 knobs?

Also, the Fx Loop block usually eventually goes to Out 1 so yes out 1 needs to be up.

Input 1 and 2 knobs?

Also, the Fx Loop block usually eventually goes to Out 1 so yes out 1 needs to be up.
Hey Chris,

Brain fart. I meant the output level knobs 1 and 2.

I tried 2 pedals and seem to have gotten the same results. Basically, when I turn on the FX Loop block, the amp block is not audible. What is audible is the pedal and the cabinet block.

I mean, I’ll just keep on trying to play around with it and see what happens.

This is a great forum and you guys are really good people for helping others to fully enjoy and immersed themselves in there Axe unit’s.

Brian

please upload the preset or show a picture of the layout so we aren't guessing on how to solve this,.

So, I was just playing around with the settings again. My thoughts were that output level knob 2 would blend the pedal I’m using into the amp block. When the knob is all the way down there is no sound at all. I guess that’s because I am muting the FX Loop.

When the distortion on my pedal is off (switch is pressed) and the FX block is on, the tonal characteristics of my Amp Block are very different. It’s only when I bypass the FX Loop Block that I get my regular amp sound back.

I’m going to try posting one or two pictures at a time. I have four in total and they cannot be uploaded at the same time.

Attachments

• 40CFF98B-F923-4669-9F88-1558F84D00F1.jpeg
    40CFF98B-F923-4669-9F88-1558F84D00F1.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 11
So, I was just playing around with the settings again. My thoughts were that output level knob 2 would blend the pedal I’m using into the amp block. When the knob is all the way down there is no sound at all. I guess that’s because I am muting the FX Loop.

When the distortion on my pedal is off (switch is pressed) and the FX block is on, the tonal characteristics of my Amp Block are very different. It’s only when I bypass the FX Loop Block that I get my regular amp sound back.

I’m going to try posting one or two pictures at a time. I have four in total and they cannot be uploaded at the same time.

Attachments

• 9A6995F1-70FC-4136-BA06-7D82A5D208ED.jpeg
    9A6995F1-70FC-4136-BA06-7D82A5D208ED.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 12
when you use the FX Loop block like that, your entire guitar signal is running through it. guitar goes

into Input 1
out Output 2
through the pedal
into Input 2
eventually out Output 1

so yes, if you turn down Output 2, you turn down your entire guitar sound. the FX Loop block isn't "in addition" to your original guitar signal.

that also explains why your tone is changing with the Pedal off but the FX Loop block on - it's running through the pedal, and additional cables and pedals change the tone in any rig. however, you might be sending too much signal to the Pedal or too much is coming back from the pedal.

so in the FX Loop block, you may have to reduce the Output Level so you don't overload the pedal - even when bypassed. use the Utility Meters (press Utility, Page to Status) to see exactly what's going in and out. ideally, when the pedal itself is turned off, the same amount of signal should be preset at Out 2 and In 2.

you need to balance FX Loop Output Volume, and Output 2 physical knob for the pedals you use.

Hey Chris,

OK. That’s a good break down for me. I will view the utility meters and balance the output fader and physical knob.

I will play around with this some more until I get proficient at it. Honestly, that’s what I love about the Axe FX, you are always learning. I was heavily involved with BIAS for a while and it helped me learn how a physical amp truly works. I guess one day when someone gets to the level you’re at, the learning diminishes, but it’s been a really good experience so far.

Thanks again for all your help, Chris.
Brian

Slightly OT, but if i had to bring pedals, i wouldn’t use an Axe. So far, there’s nothing i haven’t been able to simulate with a little tweaking (and the use of info gleaned from this here forum!). Axe into slave into cabinet. Easy, effective.

Back
Top Bottom