Fx loop 4CM

qjawz

Inspired
Hey community,
I've had my Axe fx for quite a number of years and I'm pretty stump to know if I'm running the proper levels. Recently I acquired a new mesa head and I have been trying really hard to get fx loop to work properly with axe. I have done the necessary things (put FX block where I want the loop to start and necessary connections) well it works. But I'm extremely confused about the levels. I read in one post in the forum to put output 1 and 2 to maximum for unity gain, and I've read another to go into the input menu adjust input 2 to tickle red and then use the pad/boost to adjust the fx loop sends. IF I choose to put the output levels to 50% I end up with varrying levels in the status page of the utility menu. That I can't get equal whether I use boost/pad or adjust input 2 from the I/O menu. IF I put output 1/2 to maximum everything is the exact same level in the status page and extremely loud, the inputs tickle red outputs 1/2 don't show any clip and I don't think I have to adjust the pad/boost.(They're at 0dB) Everything is extremely loud on this setting just like if I was to plug into the amp direct.

The only reason I'm posting is because I just want to make sure I'm not clipping any of the inputs (whether in, return, or send) of the amp and if I am how can I tell if I am?

Is going unity gain the correct way? And if not please someone give me an extremely dummy proof explanation..

Cheers

I read in one post in the forum to put output 1 and 2 to maximum for unity gain, and I've read another to go into the input menu adjust input 2 to tickle red and then use the pad/boost to adjust the fx loop sends.

Do all of those things in that order.

Utility menu meters don't really indicate anything about unity gain. Note that adjusting input level affects input meters while (throughout most of adjustment range) the actual amount of gain doesn't change.

Same here. I have the two outputs set at maxium level and I've set the instr input and input 2 to have the same output volume. Like 17.6% and 18.4% or similar.

But I didn't get the boost/pad thing..I just checked in the Axe-Fx III manual and the thing is still confusing me. From the manual: Boost/Pad helps optimize D/A performance without affecting levels, since a boost at the converter’s input is paired with a corresponding cut at its output. Be watchful, however, as boosting makes it easier to clip the converters. Watch the meters and if clipping occurs, reduce levels within your preset or turn this setting down.

My presets are usually tweaked to tickle the red lights so even a +3db setting makes the output clipping. I don't get if I have to lower levels in the presets and then raise the boost/pad or what.

Last but maybe the most important question: in which way I could harm the input of the amp? I'm scarred about sending a signal too strong to handle.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom