FX III tuner spec?

John M

Inspired
Having started using the tuner more now that I have the fantastic FC-12 I am thinking of eliminating my Peterson pedal tuner. I believe the Peterson pedal accuracy is .1 cents. I haven't been able to find a similar spec for the FX III tuner. Is there a tuning accuracy spec available? Thanks.

The Axe FX II is as accurate as a Peterson so I'd bet dollars to donuts the Axe FX III is just as accurate,

I'm curious as well. The III shows I'm out when the PolyTune clip-on tuner says I'm in (+/-0.02), so...

Somebody please explain accuracy vs sensitivity when it comes to tuners? Accuracy to me means that the tuning is dead on when the 'needle' indicates 'in tune'. An inaccurate tuner, by my definition, would consistently show x-cents flat or sharp to be read as in tune.

Almost every tuner I've used has been "accurate", I didn't have any trouble getting in tune with them. I have noticed some have been more "sensitive", i.e. Peterson and Turbo Tuner, allowing for more precise, quicker tuning. Even the 'inaccurate' ones can be used for proper tuning once the discrepancy is noted and allowed for (I have a BOSS TU-70 that needs to read a couple of cents flat to be 'in tune')

Are the terms actually one in the same or entirely different when applied to tuners?

I find it all a bit academic because the very nature of a stringed instrument means that it’s going to go out of tune to some degree as soon as you fret a note. To wit, what good does “perfection” really do if you as much as exhale and change the temp on the room and shift the timing 0.001 cent ?

I compared Axe 3 head-to-head with my Peterson (original VS). The strobe displays were virtually identical in both accuracy and sensitivity -- I couldn't find any meaningful difference.

However, while the Axe's circular strobe display was 100% spot-on, I did find the tuning arrows on the Axe 3 less accurate: they showed "in tune" for 440 Hz, but indicated sharp at about +1.3 cents, while not showing flat until -3 cents. Given how precise the underlying detection is (via the strobe display), maybe this could be easily re-calibrated ? (Possible I made a mistake here--apologies if so)

And as someone waiting for my FC invite, I've very interested to know if the FC tuning display is identical to the tuning arrows on the Axe, or if it shows more precision ? (It would be AMAZING if the FC could show the strobe tuner on a foot switch ring... wish list) :)

I compared Axe 3 head-to-head with my Peterson (original VS). The strobe displays were virtually identical in both accuracy and sensitivity -- I couldn't find any meaningful difference.

However, while the Axe's circular strobe display was 100% spot-on, I did find the tuning arrows on the Axe 3 less accurate: they showed "in tune" for 440 Hz, but indicated sharp at about +1.3 cents, while not showing flat until -3 cents. Given how precise the underlying detection is (via the strobe display), maybe this could be easily re-calibrated ? (Possible I made a mistake here--apologies if so)

And as someone waiting for my FC invite, I've very interested to know if the FC tuning display is identical to the tuning arrows on the Axe, or if it shows more precision ? (It would be AMAZING if the FC could show the strobe tuner on a foot switch ring... wish list) :)

I have the FC-6 and it displays the tuner as bars from a center point, like many tuners. I had just thought about how it would be nice to have one of the LED rings act as a strobe. That would be awesome!

Cheers,

Lee

Lee, I've noticed the bar display on the Axe 3 screen is more precise than the tuning arrows... does the FC match the tuning bars (i.e. show more detail than the arrows) ?

Back
Top Bottom