FX Block Bypass not always saved properly?

Etudica

Inspired
Last night I noticed some strange behavior regarding the FX bypass on some patches. I had made 3 new patches for some cover songs via AE (latest version, still on 17.04) and tested them out thoroughly using the pause feature and cylcing between scenes- all was good. I saved the patches, shut down AE and the AXE and off to rehearsal.

When I powered back up I noticed that a lot of fx were not being bypassed correctly between scenes. Different blocks too, some reverb, some delay, even wah. I know they were all set correctly and saved before heading to practice. Anyone else experience this? This is first time it's happened to me, but it happened on all 3 new patches, so I thought I'd bring it up. If it were just one patch I'd leave it go and just call it a fluke, but...

And to clarify, I'm referring to bypassing fx completely between scenes, not the bypass mode i.e. thru, mute, mute fx out, etc.

Last edited:
Hi Etudica. I´m having the exact same issue, the blocks stay bypassed and I can´t explain why. I´m using a GCP by the way, any one has the answer to this mystery? is there something that we´re missing?

Regards

Hi Etudica. I´m having the exact same issue, the blocks stay bypassed and I can´t explain why. I´m using a GCP by the way, any one has the answer to this mystery? is there something that we´re missing?

Regards

Sounds like your problems are a bit different. You say yours "stay bypassed" where his problem was the states were messed up. (at least that's how I read it) How are you determining that they're staying bypassed? Do they have a controller assigned to them? If so, they'll follow the state of the controller.

Last night I noticed some strange behavior regarding the FX bypass on some patches. I had made 3 new patches for some cover songs via AE (latest version, still on 17.04) and tested them out thoroughly using the pause feature and cylcing between scenes- all was good. I saved the patches, shut down AE and the AXE and off to rehearsal.

When I powered back up I noticed that a lot of fx were not being bypassed correctly between scenes. Different blocks too, some reverb, some delay, even wah. I know they were all set correctly and saved before heading to practice. Anyone else experience this? This is first time it's happened to me, but it happened on all 3 new patches, so I thought I'd bring it up. If it were just one patch I'd leave it go and just call it a fluke, but...

I've never seen this where I was sure it was correct and saved. Perhaps I have seen it and just assumed it was me not making sure it was right, I don't know.

I will say that I've seen some similar funky behavior after moving blocks around...is it be possible that after you checked everything out and saved that you moved some blocks around and saved again? I haven't done a lot of debugging on this but it seems that moved blocks and/or newly inserted blocks can get their state changed in various scenes. Like they are inheriting the state of some previous block.

And to clarify, I'm referring to bypassing fx completely between scenes, not the bypass mode i.e. thru, mute, mute fx out, etc.

Upload the presets.

That´s right DTownSMR, when I change between scenes certain blocks stay bypassed (reverb and leslie rotary). How can I follow the state of the controller (GCP Voodoo lab) to check if it´s assigned to those fx? (sorry for the newbie question) thanks in advance! :eagerness:

Upload the presets.

I haven't had time to test them again since I haven't even unpacked my axe yet from last practice. I'll fire it back up today and check. If I notice the issue again I will upload the patches for review.

btw, I am using an MFC-101 mk1. And yes, the issue I experienced is that fx blocks do not remain bypassed correctly across scenes (i.e. scene 1 delay off, scene 2 delay on)

Ok, played with these patches again tonight for about an hour. When the Axe first booted up, scenes and bypass states were acting normally still (after fixing them during rehearsal last weekend).

I tried to duplicate the issue but only managed to get it to happen once during the entire hour of testing (with the Slash Myles Kennedy patch). I was adjusting some of the fx blocks (reverb, delay), saved the patch, closed AE, and then changed presets away and back to it using the MFC. AE was closed but USB still connected. When I switched back to the patch - no sound. The wah bypass mode changed to mute. I definitely did not modify the wah at all this evening since powering it on. Also, you'll notice this is different behavior than my first post in that it was the bypass mode that was incorrect, not the bypass state. The wah should remain the same across all scenes too, no x/y or bypass changes since it's triggered by ext 2.

Here are the patches (I included both of the ones that gave me repeated issues, although only the Slash one acted strangely tonight):

View attachment Slash Myles.syx
View attachment 7D Face To Face.syx

Notes (in case you want to hear what I hear):

Controllers:
Volume = ext 1
Wah = ext 2

Cabs:
Slash Myles Kennedy patch:
Cab Pack 7 SM57-R121 05 (CAB L)
Cab Pack 7 SM57-MD421 01 (CAB R)
Scene1 - Rhythm, Scene2 - Chorus, Scene3 - Solo, Scene4 -C lean

Sevendust patch:
Cab Pack 7 SM57-R121 09
Scene1 - Intro, Scene2 - Rhythm, Scene3 - Chorus
Wah controlled by LFO, 2 measures

Last edited:
If you're using EXT controllers, you have to make sure their Initial State is set correctly in the AxeFX. I had the problem where my Wah on one patch was always on when I loaded the preset... it was because I had the EXT2 Initial State set to 100% (i.e. toe down). Setting it to 0 solved the wah problem for me. Of course, depending on what effects they are, you might want the EXT state at 100.

I know that won't resolve all of the issues but hope it helps.

Sure it helps! thanks jefferski, I will try to figure out how the controller is set (GPC Voodoo lab).How do i check it from the axe fx menu?

Back
Top Bottom