FX-8 / Mesa Mark IV Switching Questions

King Tone

Inspired
Just a couple of basic questions here...

I am working towards buying a Mesa Mark IV Head and I want to be able to control the amp functions from the FX-8. I know there are the two relay jacks but I would need more. If I get something like the RJM mini amp gizmo (or regular amp gizmo) with the custom cable made for the Mark IV and run midi from the Fractal would I then be able to switch all the functions on the amp via the FX-8? Available options via switching jacks on the back of the amp are----

Channel I,2,3
Graphic EQ
Class A
Loop
Reverb

Main ones to switch of importance would be the channels, Class A, and maybe the graphic. Graphic would probably be on all the time. I don't usually use spring reverb but if I have it available maybe I could use it if I need it. If there is an easier way to do this I would be open hear it. Thanks!

No there really isn't a easier way, using the amp gizmo will give you maximum flexibility.

Thanks for the reply. Just had a thought...could the mini amp gizmo do some switching and the onboard relays do the others?

Yeah that could work but it would be overkill, but most importantly the amp Gizmo already has all the relays you need.
The Gizmo has 8 relays and you only need 6 to control the mesa mark IV.

I run my FX8 with my mark IV, I can control all of the channel switching just fine, I don't use the spring reverb on the amp and the GEQ is always on. Having the ability to control all of the switching is fine but I really think it is overkill. The FX8 sounds great and my setup has never been more simple and easy to set up. I also use a pedalsnake cable that splits at each end so I could get the adapters I needed and it works great

Yeah that could work but it would be overkill, but most importantly the amp Gizmo already has all the relays you need.
The Gizmo has 8 relays and you only need 6 to control the mesa mark IV.

I guess I was thinking the Mini Amp Gizmo (which is about $100 cheaper) would work and if I wanted to switch the other stuff I could use the relays on the FX-8.

I run my FX8 with my mark IV, I can control all of the channel switching just fine, I don't use the spring reverb on the amp and the GEQ is always on. Having the ability to control all of the switching is fine but I really think it is overkill. The FX8 sounds great and my setup has never been more simple and easy to set up. I also use a pedalsnake cable that splits at each end so I could get the adapters I needed and it works great

I would probably do it the same way, maybe even remove the reverb tank(weight loss) and graphic on just for the room, etc. Are you saying you use the FX-8 without any other device with just the two relays? If so, how would you get the three channels? Does the TRS connection split where you can use more switching per relay than one? This would be very awesome if I did not have to have the other box, etc!!

Its really 4 relays, yes a single TRS connection is 2 relays. So yes on one side of a cable TRS and the other side (2) TS.
As for my 2 cents ---
As far as switching, I use to run the Mark IV all three channels (of coarse) and the EQ.
As for the reverb on the Mark IV you will probably never use it because of the reverb's on the FX8, Also I always felt the reverb on the Mark IV was weak for my taste.
I use to use the Class-A/Simil but abandoned it pretty quickly, reason being when switching one from the other I always felt the need to re-EQ the channels. It was not so bad running (4) 6L6's in the power section but when running (2) 6L6's & (2) EL34's I always wanted to tweak.
there is also a bit of a volume jump but don't worry the FX8 can can help you there.
The preferred method seems to be running the Mark IV in simul-class in the end I started running mine in Class A, I just liked the low end better.
The EQ, always ran mine switchable never really used it on channel 1, only if I was playing certain guitars.

When you get a Mark IV and get comfortable with it months down the road try a new set of tubes, you will be shocked at the difference not just in tone but how you redo your settings.
Example: In the past I would never run channel 2 without the EQ and the head went through many tube changes through the years it was always the weak channel for me (have had it since 92. Then I guess about 7-8 years ago I got a set of tubes from Doug's Tubes they offer a cocktail of tubes for a given amp. Anyway--- channel 2 became my favorite channel and ran it without the EQ allot of the times.

Point of my rambling experiment!!

John

Last edited:
Its really 4 relays, yes a single TRS connection is 2 relays. So yes on one side of a cable TRS and the other side (2) TS.
As for my 2 cents ---
As far as switching, I use to run the Mark IV all three channels (of coarse) and the EQ.
As for the reverb on the Mark IV you will probably never use it because of the reverb's on the FX8, Also I always felt the reverb on the Mark IV was weak for my taste.
I use to use the Class-A/Simil but abandoned it pretty quickly, reason being when switching one from the other I always felt the need to re-EQ the channels. It was not so bad running (4) 6L6's in the power section but when running (2) 6L6's & (2) EL34's I always wanted to tweak.
there is also a bit of a volume jump but don't worry the FX8 can can help you there.
The preferred method seems to be running the Mark IV in simul-class in the end I started running mine in Class A, I just liked the low end better.
The EQ, always ran mine switchable never really used it on channel 1, only if I was playing certain guitars.

When you get a Mark IV and get comfortable with it months down the road try a new set of tubes, you will be shocked at the difference not just in tone but how you redo your settings.
Example: In the past I would never run channel 2 without the EQ and the head went through many tube changes through the years it was always the weak channel for me (have had it since 92. Then I guess about 7-8 years ago I got a set of tubes from Doug's Tubes they offer a cocktail of tubes for a given amp. Anyway--- channel 2 became my favorite channel and ran it without the EQ allot of the times.

Point of my rambling experiment!!

John

Thank you so much! I don't own either the FX8 or the Mark iv. I am super familiar with the axe fx, had it for years, even did a video on it. I really miss the fx that Fractal offers vs my pedals...they seem so clunky by comparison. After trying a bunch of nice expensive amps I have played the mark iv in depth and I am super impressed with it although most folks don't pay it any attention. Funny with some tweaks I was really happy with R2. I had it where it was sort of marshall-ish with humbuckers and with singles brad paisley-ish - all the way to quite clean with the volume knob. Of course I love the other channels. I had a mark III a few years ago I really liked as well.

I also run a Mark IV with the existing 4 relays no problem.. I think it's one of the best all around amps ever made. I considered an amp gizmo to do the whole works, but like the other poster here, I found I was fine with the 4 available relays no problem.

Thanks for all the replies! After as many amps as I have played and owned in the last few years...I agree...
I have a good feeling about this!

Your going to love it!
I use to run the Axe Fx Standard 4 cable method with my Mark IV and used a Axxess Electronics switcher for channel switching on my Mark IV.
But you will have advantages I didn't! No separate midi board, no separate processor and no separate device for channel switching. Everything from one device and one editor. That FX8 is a hell of a device !!

John

The FX8 Is an amazing unit and has really helped simplify my rig without compromise. The Mark IV R2 is very underrated, at bedroom volumes it is not the best but when you turn it up that is where it starts to shine, place an OD in front and its fantastic!

The 4 available relays work with no problem and should cover the essentials regarding the Mark IV. Also the amp is extremely flexible and can cover a lot of styles not just metal. I am on my third Mark Iv and after I went through a pretty impressive amp change (including just AxeFx) I have come full circle. At this point I have came to the conclusion that the Mark IV is my amp although I am very interested in the new JP-2C which should be a Mark IV on steroids with improvements.

I guess I was thinking the Mini Amp Gizmo (which is about $100 cheaper) would work and if I wanted to switch the other stuff I could use the relays on the FX-8.

I would probably do it the same way, maybe even remove the reverb tank(weight loss) and graphic on just for the room, etc. Are you saying you use the FX-8 without any other device with just the two relays? If so, how would you get the three channels? Does the TRS connection split where you can use more switching per relay than one? This would be very awesome if I did not have to have the other box, etc!!

I don't use any other devices, I am using a pedal snake cable 4M24 (http://www.pedalsnake.com/osCommerce/catalog/index.php?cPath=22) with the Dual TRS ends RS2 (http://www.pedalsnake.com/osCommerce/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_23) than I choose Ring, Tip or sleeve option in the FX8 editor to get the channel I need for each patch

Revisiting this thread since I just got my FX8! It is lovely of course!

1. Here is a question about the relay jacks...If I were to have an interface for a snake on the side of the pedalboard would I just wire 2 TRS jacks on each side, to each other, then run 2 short TRS cables to the interface. From there the other side(leaving the board) would have TRS jacks going to a cable wired TRS to 2 TS which attach to an amps switching jacks (for example the mesa mark iv I am lusting after)

Anyone use the FX8 with a Friedman to switch channels? I have a Smallbox 50 and want to switch from the plexi channel to the BE channel via the relay jack.

Yeah your inface would work just fine, it's just really a little port replication. Keeps the wear down on the FX8 from things being plugged in and out constantly. Good idea!
As for the Friedman I'm pretty sure it will work (but don't know for sure), just check with Friedman if nobody chimes in about it
John

Back
Top Bottom