FW10 thoughts

xpenno

Power User
So I was lucky enough to have some access to early version of v10 and I've loved it since I first played it quite a while back. With the final release there are so many good things to talk about but these are my top 10 highlights (in no particular order).

1. Easy of tone creation - Select and amp, select a cab, tweak the knobs as you would a real amp, off you go! No need to fro hours of tweaking this and that advanced parameter, sure if you want to you can, but it sounds great out of the box. This is a real godsend for me as I have a tendency to get lost in tweaking, now I am playing :)

2. The Factory Presets - What can I say, that first bank is top draw. I'm not usually a preset guy but I had a play last night and about 95% of them are working for me really nicely. Worst-case I'm getting great ideas of cab/FX combinations to use in my own patches. Perfect!

3. The new Factory Cabs - Bloody brilliant!

4. Amps (new and old) - There are some real gems in there my favs at present are

Swart Atomic
Brit Silver
AC15/30TB
Friedman BE/HBE
All of the Plexi Amps
Mesa Amps (too many to mention)

5. Improved Feel - It plays like a dream, the feel of this thing is inspiring and is making me play better than ever!

6. Highs and Lows - The improvements in the top and bottom of the tones makes it a pleasure to play, previously I was using hi/low cut filters to remove unwanted frequencies now I don't have to. The top end has gone from ice-pick to crunchy and the bottom-end is so much more clearly defined whilst not lacking anything, it just works.

7. Software - Although I'm happy enough using the front panel, it's great to have Axe-Edit back! Fractal-Bot is a real winner too, great work guys!

8. Works better with multiple guitars - Previous versions of FW usually required me to create separate patches for each different type of guitar. V10 seems to work better with different guitars so I know that my cranked plexi patch is going to work whether I grab my Strat or my Les Paul.

9. Sits in the mix - I don't know why but tones created with v10 seem to sit really well in the mix. They don't overpower, take up too much space, they don't require loads of EQ to crowbar them in, they just work well. Could be down to cabs, could be down to the fact that they sound more realer than before. I don't know or care it just works!

10. Whining - Since v10/Axe-Edit was released most of the whining on the forum seems to have stopped, a happy day indeed!

Thanks Cliff for your work on FW10, it's amazing!

Spence

Back
Top Bottom