FW 18.08 IIC+ Careless Whisper

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

This amp sim is probably the most vintage sounding high-ish gain amps in the black box. Everything down to the pick attack, sustain and vintage low end screams careless whisper to me so I had to record this over the top clip. I hope no one takes it too seriously. :lol The sustain seemed endless even with lower gain. The amp responds really well to dropping the volume knob.

The IIC+ that was in the Axe-Fx prior to 18.08 has been some people's favorite amp sim. This is very different to that one IMO and I'm sure this is more authentic.

So my short review is that I like it a lot for leads and especially for those 80s ballad leads this is THE AMP SIM. It will not replace my main amps that I'm using (USA Lead, Recto, Freidman etc.) but for those sustaining leads it might be the best amp sim in the box.

PS. The IR I'm using in this clip is the Chocolate Cake IR from Cab Pack 7 and I thought it really made the amp sound like I wanted it to. Try it out if you have the pack. :)

Clarks Cheese Factory :D :D

I guess you can set the GEQ like on the real amps. On pre 18.07 i could not push the 80-band a lot, neither the high bands... I like this..

Clarks Cheese Factory :D :D

I guess you can set the GEQ like on the real amps. On pre 18.07 i could not push the 80-band a lot, neither the high bands... I like this..

;) Sure. The 240hz knob however is something to watch out for. On the real amps it kind of doesn't do much but on the Axe-Fx it does. I tend to leave that knob really close to 0 at all times in the Axe-Fx. Also I think raising the bass too much kind of changed the drive character almost to a Fender type gain. Personally I don't like that unless I'm playing RHCP. There's definitely a bigger change between the USA Lead and IIC+ amp sims than the Mark IV and Mark IIC+ mode on the Mark V amp in real life. :)

Clark, which mode of the IIC+?

• USA IIC+: Pull Bright off, Pull Deep off.
• USA IIC+ Bright: Pull Bright on, Pull Deep off.
• USA IIC+ Deep: Pull Bright off, Pull Deep on.
• USA IIC+ Brt/Dp: Pull Bright on, Pull Deep on.

Clark, which mode of the IIC+?

• USA IIC+: Pull Bright off, Pull Deep off.
• USA IIC+ Bright: Pull Bright on, Pull Deep off.
• USA IIC+ Deep: Pull Bright off, Pull Deep on.
• USA IIC+ Brt/Dp: Pull Bright on, Pull Deep on.

It's the Brt/Dp version. :)

Which IR in particular is the Chocolate Cake?

Cool clip btw, I liked the lead tone.

Thanks shredi! The Chocolate Cake IR is in the PRESET folder in that Cab Pack. I think it's one of the 01 IRs in the Alloy folders. Most likely the SM57-E906 01. It's one of the darkest alloys in that collection. I think the name suggests what it sounds like. :)

PS. I'm also a formed JPForum Boogie geek from 10 years ago.

Awesome work Clark as always. You can hear the amp sounds great on those long sustaining notes, (when you can get the note to ring out and sustain) but the lack of saturation really is apparent when you play the faster parts. It really falls apart compared to how some other amps would handle it.

This amp sim is probably the most vintage sounding high-ish gain amps in the black box. Everything down to the pick attack, sustain and vintage low end screams careless whisper to me so I had to record this over the top clip. I hope no one takes it too seriously. :lol The sustain seemed endless even with lower gain. The amp responds really well to dropping the volume knob.

The IIC+ that was in the Axe-Fx prior to 18.08 has been some people's favorite amp sim. This is very different to that one IMO and I'm sure this is more authentic.

So my short review is that I like it a lot for leads and especially for those 80s ballad leads this is THE AMP SIM. It will not replace my main amps that I'm using (USA Lead, Recto, Freidman etc.) but for those sustaining leads it might be the best amp sim in the box.

PS. The IR I'm using in this clip is the Chocolate Cake IR from Cab Pack 7 and I thought it really made the amp sound like I wanted it to. Try it out if you have the pack. :)

the whole space of the song remind me Lost Without you by JP from his Solo Album... today I had a little time to check them out bud in a quick test I played
The Bigger Picture Melodic Solo with IIC+/DEEP and it was absolutely amazing in my ears.

Back
Top Bottom