FW 14, OwnHammer Beta Diezel Cab, new BKP Warpigs, Rock Warehouse - YEEHAW!

Hey Guys and Gals of Fractal,

I've been a busy boy for a little while now. I got a new computer and right afterward went on vacation for 9 days. When I got back I found out I'm part of the beta team for Kevin's new project: High Gain Essentials.

The cab I'm using here is actually mixed together using the beta cabinet (A rear-loaded Diezel with Chinese V30s) with the good ol' OwnHammer Mesa V32. I converted the .wav files into an UltraRes cab in Cab Lab 2.0, popped that puppy behind the FAS Modern patch I made up the other day (FW 14). The guitar is my Mayones Regius baritone 7 loaded with brand spanking new Warpigs - which sound wonderfully EVIL btw. I hope you folks enjoy this as much as I enjoyed making it!

Nice! How are those warpigs? Ceramic or Alnico? I just ordered a Ceramic Nailbomb for my 8 string. Super excited for the pickups to arrive....and now very excited for these new Cabs!!!!! Sounds good

The Warpigs are rather amazing, actually. So much gain, but SOOOO clear. They are ceramic, as I use somewhat thick strings in a fairly low tuning, so the point was to help the sound from getting too stodgy... which I think we're good. They replaced a pair of dimarzio's, a Crunch Lab and Liquifire. I couldn't be happier to be rid of them!

Yeah, the list of cabs he's putting together for the high gain essentials is rather impressive. It's like... 12-14 cabs or so... with a hoarders lot of speakers as well. Gonna' scream!

Excited for this, and the completed 1x12 and 2x12 packs too.

Lots of cool stuff coming out now.

Sounds great - Is there any more info on this high gain essentials pack? I don't remember hearing about it before

Barbed Wire. Really like how you can hear the top-end and especially the detail at the end.

As far as the actual process is going, I don't know how much I can really talk about, but the plan is to cover pretty much every territory of high gain music you could possibly dream up, from ... and judging by the list of cabs and speakers, you'll be able to do just that. I know that Kevin is working hard on responding to emails and finishing up the 1x12 and 2x12 stuff, so he doesn't have immediate plans to get these out and public. I know he's planning on trimming out extraneous material from the cab releases, and will be working diligently to make sure they don't overlap with the studio mix and V2 libraries. So when he does finally get it out, you can bet your bippy that you'll have a TON of character cabs specifically meant to melt your metal (or hard rock, or classic hair metal, or doom, or stoner rock/metal) minds.

And also, thanks for the kind comments. Erockomania and my local Boise audio buddy, Matt, helped me get a whole bunch more punch out of my drums, so I quickly dialed in a new mix and I think I made some "epiphanies" about mixing percussion for the future. It miiiiiight clip juuuuuuuuust a hair in the beginning, but I'm moving back onto album production now and don't have time to worry about those little details on a test mix.

As far as those drums go - I'm actually REALLY pleased with the Rock Warehouse release by Toontrack. Granted, I'm using an Avatar Snare, hats, and China cymbals (as almost every mic can use the Avatar kit) because I like the way they sound more than what is provided with the RW kit. The only thing I really can't stand with the kit are the snares. Maybe I just sucked with the kit, but it felt like the snares just weren't hit hard enough when they sampled them. Also, the china cymbals were pingy and washy all at once. I think the Rock Warehouse would work really well for your more straight rock stuff, but it can obviously do heavy really well if some elements are replaced. Sadly, none of The Metal Foundry stuff directly transfers, because I feel like for really crush-y stuff the cymbals in that release would work excellently in the ambient mics in RW.

Other's mileage may vary, but come on... the real winning aspect of that release... is those roooooooooms... yum!

Back
Top Bottom