FW 13.07 to 17 jump

claxor

Power User
Guys,

I'm still on FW 13.07 because I really didn't like 14, but I'm curious about trying someone's preset written in FW 17. Should I just go straight to 17 or 18, or do I need to incrementally move up for the axefx to follow the revisions. If so, what firmwares should I upload into the axe first?

Thanks!

Just go all the way to 18.04 – you'll be glad you did. Download and install the latest USB driver, FractalBot and AxeEdit first, then make the leap. The 17 preset should be just fine with a little tweaking.

Remember also backup all your presets and settings ,if you want go back to 13.07 you have then those old tones there in safe. In that case if you want only test that someone`s new preset ,you have then possibility to be in safe if you want go back to 13.07.

Guys,

I'm still on FW 13.07 because I really didn't like 14, but I'm curious about trying someone's preset written in FW 17. Should I just go straight to 17 or 18, or do I need to incrementally move up for the axefx to follow the revisions. If so, what firmwares should I upload into the axe first?

Thanks!

So, the axe can handle the firmware jump from 13.07 to 17? (I am asking for technical advise)
Yes, you can go from any firmware to the current firmware at any time. It is not an incremental upgrade, it's a complete overwrite of the prior firmware. I would recommend 18 if you are going to upgrade at all. Really adds just that little something extra.

So, the axe can handle the firmware jump from 13.07 to 17? (I am asking for technical advise)

Absolutely. You could jump all the way from the first firmware to the most recent, without hassle.

Also – and I failed to mention this before – you'll want to download all the very latest versions of the stock presets afterwards; that's why it's a good idea to backup all your personal presets first. In truth, you'll really need to begin pretty much from scratch after you upgrade to 18.4 – though you could use your personal presets as a starting point.

Yes, the AXEFX can handle the jump between versions with no problems. The AxeFX is essentially a specialized computer. When you update firmware you are just updating the software "operating system" used by the computer. The AxeFX doesn't care what order versions are loaded as long as the firmware is compatible with the hardware. So just make sure you are using the correct firmware version for your hardware and you shouldn't have any problems.

18.03 is the latest stable release. 18.04 is a public beta. The hardest part of updating firmware that many versions apart is reading all the release notes so you know exactly what changed.

Check out the articles on my site if you decide to move to 18, since a lot of system settings have been changed and added:

http://AxeFxTutorials.com/latest-info/

Back
Top Bottom