FW 11b is MAGIC

I took the plunge and loaded up 11b the other day. It did screw with the 3 or 4 presets I had been working on - but not in a major way.

However, now I'm much, much happier with the Recto Modern sounds - they rock! :encouragement:

PS: FWIW, I think Hooligan's post re FP vs AE was spot on. Yes, it's important to use the FP, I see that. But the GUI of AE is such a pleasure to work with. Can't wait for AE3. :eagerness:

This isn't meant to sound derogatory or negative or disrespectful... yadda yadda.....
But is it really that hard to learn how to use the front panel?

I had the same reservations a year ago when I was faced with the prospect of sticking with an outdated FW and a "stable" version of AE, or forgo the security blanket of AE and do all my tweaking on the front panel. I'm glad that I decided to try the former and not miss out on months of awesome updates that have just gotten better and better.

Unless you have access or sight issues, I see no reason why anyone can't learn to use the front panel. Axe Edit might not always be there at a gig for last minute tweaking. It's a good skill set to develop.

We are lazy these days. Front panel probably needs a remote control and a pair of binoculars :lol

This isn't meant to sound derogatory or negative or disrespectful... yadda yadda.....
But is it really that hard to learn how to use the front panel?

I had the same reservations a year ago when I was faced with the prospect of sticking with an outdated FW and a "stable" version of AE, or forgo the security blanket of AE and do all my tweaking on the front panel. I'm glad that I decided to try the former and not miss out on months of awesome updates that have just gotten better and better.

Unless you have access or sight issues, I see no reason why anyone can't learn to use the front panel. Axe Edit might not always be there at a gig for last minute tweaking. It's a good skill set to develop.

I only use the front panel because I haven't wanted to set it up through the computer to edit and it's fine!!! I love this black box. Thankyou Cliff and the team...... gee us guitar players are blessed to have this company providing what I've always wanted. My playing is the only major flaw I can see in front of me now!!!!!!!!!

I don't think it is really relevant to ask whether or not it is "hard" to learn to front panel. Everyone should master the Front Panel.

That said, there are many ways in which Axe-Edit is definitively superior:

1. A trained operator will be orders of magnitude faster for many operations when using the computer keyboard and mouse.
2. The larger screen real estate and color interface increase legibility and information bandwidth (further enhancing #1 above).
3. Certain operations in Axe-Edit are not possible via the front panel (ex: Swap blocks, copy Amp1 to Amp2, Blocks Library).

In any case, Axe-Edit 3.0 is right around the corner.

My vision makes it difficult for me to use the front panel.

But I have learned enough front panel to make any changes / fixes I need at shows.

I used the older AE's bugs n' all. Looking forward to the rebirth of AE like everyone else :)

Back
Top Bottom