Fuzzy high gain sound?

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
Please listen to the following clip. It's just me noodling while selecting some of the higher gain amp models on my Ultra at random, using the neck pickup of my Strat (CS'69). To my ears, all models sound virtually identical, and are characterised by a fuzz-like tone which I find deeply unsatisfying. There's nothing else in the signal chain besides the amp block. The signal is being amplified by an Atomic 50/50 and 2x12 open back cab. Recorded via onboard mic into my Alesis Palmtrack. It sounds just the same as this in the room. I've been working with the Ultra for over three years and I still find that I cannot get away from all my high gain patches sounding like this. What is your impression of the tones in the clip? (FYI, I was trying to dial in a smooth, Sambora-like lead tone, similar to "Dry County". Instead, every model I try sounds like a gritty Fuzzface.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8381490/ALE-0005.MP3

Last edited:
It might be a problem of Axe-Poweramp-cab. Direct recorded or via PA we have heard a lot of great samples of different highgain tones. But the basic structure of distortion seems to be the same in all highgain amp models. I play Axe Standard-Rocktron Velo 300 and cabs and have made the same experience. Of cause it is possible to change the sound by tweaking EQs and other tools. But I´m always surprised how easy it is to change a Solo 100into a Recto e.g (some will say: excellent). But I really want to hear the specific character of an amp in all settings. The real thing I haven´t played yet, don´t know whether a adjustment is possible. But this ´fuzz-like tone´ accompanies all higher gain settings from a certain gain, drive, boost, damp, sag, master or whatever setting on - used poweramp/cab as I said.
BTW - no problem for me because I have one highgain preset only. All the best Norbert.

Regarding identical sounding amps: cause number #1 is the guitar cab. High gain amps always sound similar when using the same cab.
I use an EVM-loaded cab live, and even though it's a fairly neutral speaker, my higher gain tones also sound similar. That's the price we have to pay for not using FRFR...

Fuzzy tones: isn't the master set too high?

Nope, master was just under 3 when I made the clip. I can't get a smooth, flutey tube sound like Gary Moore... everything has this compressed, fuzz-like character.

Nope, master was just under 3 when I made the clip. I can't get a smooth, flutey tube sound like Gary Moore... everything has this compressed, fuzz-like character.

And at gig volume?
All the amps I used, and the Axe through a speaker cab, sound fuzzy (high gain) at low volume.

I am not an expert on Gary Moore, but did he use high gain amps? If you're aiming for his tone maybe try to figure out what kind of setup he was using?

Jens

Back
Top Bottom