Future Purchase Quandary: Mesa Roadking Series II

The Raven

Inspired
Hello everybody,

Let me start by saying that my past 4 months spent with the Axe FX II have been absolutely incredible. I absolutely LOVE this thing and can never imagine selling it. As of recently, though, i have been having some issues in terms of somewhat over-thinking my future purchasing plans. Shortly after discovering the Axe Fx, I also discovered the Mesa Roadking. I looked up any sound clips I could find on the internet and can happily say that there was not one i heard that i thought sounded bad, and i became obsessed with the idea of owning this amp. I was even fortunate enough to play through a Roadster at my local guitar center, and since the amp is tonally identical to the RK, I was finally able to determine that i absolutely loved the sound of that amplifier. I now finally almost have enough saved to purchase this amplifier along with the oversized Recto 4x12 cabinet, but now I'm having second thoughts. Originally, the plan was to have the Mesa and use the Axe as an FX processor, but also use the Axe exclusively for recording. Now that i have had so much time with my Axe FX that I have created many sounds that I really enjoy, thus making me also consider purchasing a Matrix GT1000fx and/or FRFR speakers like the Atomic Reactors instead of the RK. I am aware that purchasing the RK is going to be a far more expensive option than getting a Matrix with the Recto Cab or going FRFR, which is where my whole dilemma comes from. What do you guys think? Should I stick with what i originally planned and get the RK and enjoy all it has to offer in addition to the Axe FX? Should i instead purchase the Matrix in order to keep somewhat of a continuity between my recorded sound and sound out of a cab?

I think you've come to a brothel asking if you should remain a virgin or get laid.

Clearly most (not all) of here are going to say go amp/FRFR. On then MB forum, you'll get the opposite. Since you've tried a comparable MB set up, try to check out a power amp + FRFR setup before you buy if you can. If you can't buy and experiment. That is the only way to find out what YOU like.

I used a roadster for a while then got an axe fx. My plan was to integrate the axe for fx with the roadster (and maybe an uber rig with my g-system too!)

But as I started using my axe, I quickly realized I didn't need the Mesa amp and cab and used just the axe fx with an FRFR speaker. More flexible and it was the better option for the music I play.

Sold the roadster and never looked back!

I have a heavily modded JVM 410H and a EVH III amp.
When I got the Axe2 (again :D) I stopped using them. I play the Axe2 with the same cab and a Behringer EPQ 900 (yeah I know... but it is only 199€ and sounds great... so what :D) and I really couldn't tell any difference at all when I tonematched those 2 amps. I now dropped the tonematching and just created some patches that sound better then those amps :D But I'm really looking forward to 6.01 with the EVH III in - one of the best amps ever IMHO.

I did this same thing 3 years ago. Bought the Roadking II and when it arrived was underwhelmed. I immediately sold and kept the Axe Fx. I think in the end you will not be able to get the sound you want. Your ears have gotten used to the immense tweaking and crafting the AXE FX offers and the Mesa will fall short of that. Get a Matrix GT1000FX and a FRFR or cab and call it a day. Best decision I ever made gear wise.

Part of the issue owning an AXE FX II is getting over the GAS sickness. It's just really hard to fight the urge sometimes. But when you already have the best and a box of magic that does everything....no need for GAS!

Once upon a time, I had the original Road King, a Diezel VH4S and 20+ more amps.

Those amplifiers sounded great when turned up LOUD, like hearing damage loud.

While the Axe Fx is only 99% of the way there tonally, it is consistent. With a tube amp it is all about microphones, placement, preamps, rooms, etc...

Are you willing to give up 1% of tone for 99% of the hassles of tube amps? I am, especially since in a mix NO ONE can tell the difference.

The Axe is so close now only with no background track in a head to head shootout can you sometimes hear a difference, which is not always a positive for the tube amp.

Hehe I still have my vh4s, never gigged, was gonna be my midi über rig... Wanna buy? Oh wrong forum :p

Odd to read this, as I went exactly backwards... was playing on a Road King II and Recto cab (4x12 or 2x12, depending on room size) when I discovered the Axe Fx. It was an Ultra at that time. It didn't take very long to figure out that I could get similar sounds with the Axe Fx, plus a slew of other amp sounds, and FX, in a box that doesn't weigh what my ATA case for the RKII weighed. That RK is way heavy, really heavy for a head only.

The Road King is a great amp. One of the best I ever owned. Still, I sold it after getting the Axe Fx and haven't missed a beat. Since then have moved to the Axe Fx II and am more sure than ever that no one amp is ever going to hold up to a rig like this. There's my 2 cents, hope it helps!

Personally speaking I would go FR but I would wait for ether of the new Matrix or Atomic CLR FR offerings or look at the RCF if you don't want to wait on those. The RK is a good head, I owned the first series and my only complaint was that it weighed a ton and you had to really turn it up for it to come alive.

I too went from a slew of Boggies to the Axe II.
the Roadster/RoadKing is one of my all time favorite amps as is the Mark IV.
I had an early black face dual recto (2 channel) and that sucker sounded incredible..................................at ear splitting volume
at 10:00 at night it was not usable.
the mark Iv was a lot better but the Axe II really comes incredibly close on the mark models so that went bye bye too.
Before I got the Axe II I was trying to decide on whether I should get a Roadster head to go along with my mark IV and my 5150 II or just get the Axe II.
I had a friend who had both (the roadster and the Ae II ) and when he sold the Roadster and kept the Axe , well that helped me make my decision.
Unfortunately I have not yet been able to get a Recto patch to sound "real" thru my Art SLA2 or my Mesa 50/50 out to my Recto cab.
FRFR the Recto models sound great, they lose something without the cab sims though.
if anyone has a good recto patch that they use thru an Art and out to a real cab please post it so I can see what you're doing that I'm not.
the Mark IV patches I've created sound almost dead on to what my mark IV sounded thru the Recto cab (especially thru the Mesa 50/50)
plus I have all the other goodies and they sound great at whisper volumes so all of my real amps were sold.
I am waiting on the new CLR releases from Atomic and MAtrix and have a strong feeling I will be going FRFR, the flexibility just outweighs the
loss of any "nailed the tone" that I haven't been able to hit , and each update just keeps getting better and better.
I've rediscovered amps that I haven't played thru in years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom