Funky/Slappy new single - "Fly" (SlapChop part II)

jesseray

Hey all,

Cheers and happy August. I hope all is well with you and your musical journeys.

Here's a new track i wrote and produced recently. This composition was created merely as an exercise of syncopation, as it proved to be an ambitious task to tightly execute 16th grace notes on the snare, bass slaps, and guitar groove. Later I decided that I may as well sing some cheese over the top in order to make it a "song" ;)

My AxeFx units (II and Ultra) played a HUGE role here, as they do on everything I do both live and in the studio.

I used the AxeII for both rhythm guitars and (originally) for the lead as well, but ended up reamping the Lead DI through a classic patch that I love on my good ol' ultra (twin reverb with a matchless IR).

I also used the axeII as an automated insert on a few sections of harmonies to wetten them up quite a bit.. listen for it!

In addition, I mic'd my acoustic with two mics: one running into a UAm610pre and the other into an audio-buddy (simply to do a clean conversion from xor to 1/4") and into the II's tube pre sim. Then that ran back in to PT and they were panned hard left and right (delayed one side 10ms to cancel the phase and create a nice wide image).

I'd love to get your input on the song, the mix, and the overall balance of the master. I'm always looking to learn and grow.

Great work all round
thumbsup.gif

If you could get into the chorus without needing the pause, it would certainly help the flow too
smile.gif

Love it bro! Fantastic!!! I like the pause before the chorus...different...and that is good!

I think you did an awesome job on that tune. Loved the song. I respectfully disagree with UnsungHeroGuitars comment about losing the pause before the chorus. If you were going to try to sell this song as a dance song, then I would definitely kill the pause. But I assume that was not your intention for the song. Keep up the good work. I would like to hear some more of your stuff like this.

I like it! The guitar style reminds me of a band called 3. The acoustic sounds a bit louder on the right channel --not sure if that was intentional

Thanks everyone!
There's really a market for quality pre/compressor/passive eq emulations for the production world. i'd love to see fractal make a product for engineers and producers!

Does a Meat Puppets' inspiration sounds offensive to you?

not supposed to be cause i liked the track.

Nice one!

The first 5 sec reminded me the first 14 sec of "Severed goddess hand" which is astonishing to make 14 out of 5! :lol
Then Peter Frampton ' s "Show me the way" intro came from yours.
Then my neo-cortical brain just blew a fuse and left the limbic brain just enjoy the funky groove.
At the end of the tune the neo-cortical brain woke up again on his first thought as a conclusion which was Meat Puppets, and forced me to write it down...

As you asked me back why, I now consider that this statement could be highly questionable.;)

What's really cool about this song, is that the vocals and chord structure (without the pops, slaps and articulations) almost sound like they belong along with high gain guitar rhythm tracks, but somehow, the clean guitar tracks in this tune gives it a push and sparkle, and the clean tracks, to my ears, help to push the vocals out further than if backed by a high-gain guitar track. I also really like the anticipation in the quiet section before the chorus section.

great job man!

the bass slap and clean guitar combined with the rhythmic context gives it a really punchy fealing! i love it!

you have a reallly cool voice! if you ever wanna lay some for a track or two of mine, send me PM! I think i will be looking to do some friendly colab with online musician I like!

Back
Top Bottom