Full song with Recto New/redwirez Marshall G12 cab

Honestly, when it started I didn't want to get sucked into liking it, but I have to give you props on a job extremely well done. The tones are excellent, the playing is very good, and I struggled to discern whether the drums were programmed - I guessed that they were, but I had doubts, and that is a first for me! Some of the best programmed drums I have ever heard. Great overall production, etc.

Inspiring. My hat's off to you.

GSVBagpuss said:
So when do we get a little walkthrough on how you did all of this?! Sounds soo good on third and fourth listening :)

+1 A little tutorial for noobs like me would be great. I am just dumbfounded every time I hear these clips. They are so good! The quality of the axe patches and overall recording is one thing (and amazing) but the cool riffs and sounds you get out of the guitar itself is worth praise. It's refreshing to hear something powerful and different.

Back to the woodshed for me. I've always considered myself more of a rhythm player anyway, and these clips are just chock full of riffy goodness man. Killer stuff. I want to learn how to riff like THAT!

thanks guys

I guess basically how I did this song.... I put the metronome on and record a guitar part all the way through, it won't be perfect but it's just a scratch track so I can decide how I want to program the drums. Then I go in there and start clicking all the drum hits with a mouse on the MIDI grid with that Superior Drummer 2.0 thing. This is the most time consuming part. I copy and paste a lot of it though, and usually I'll just change up the last couple of hits so not every drum fill is the same. Or I'll change up the drum velocities to make it sound not so perfect.
Once the drums are programmed I'll start doing the guitars for real. I usually do this by section, I'll record the intro and then a few minutes later work on the verse or the chorus. This way I can concentrate on playing each part really well, stuff gets done faster that way and I don't have to worry about losing a good take if the first 3 minutes are great but I hit a wrong note at the end.
I always record pretty much the same exact thing but twice, aka double tracking. Then pan the guitars all the way to the left and right. Then any leads or melodic guitars or whatever get recorded. I do bass last.
Then the boring/frustrating part is getting everything to sound good together. I don't know too much about this so I just cheat and put Ozone 4 on it, which is a "mastering" plug in. It makes the whole thing louder and you can also do things like match an EQ curve from a song you like. I didn't do any kind of post EQ on the guitars or bass but I have been doing more of that recently depending on what the song calls for. Usually I try to get the best possible sound out of the Axe Fx so I don't have to bother with any kind of guitar processing during mixdown.
Hope this helps, there really aren't any secrets to it. I think other people here get amazing sounding mixes. Obviously, Bulb. I wish I knew how he got some of his drum sounds from Superior 2.0.

Been reading forums for weeks, watching YouTube vids and listening to clips. They all helped, but this one clip sealed the deal for me. Fractal owes you money, bro.

If you guys end up getting that patch to work, you might find it very trebly but that's just how it had to be to kinda sound right with the rest of the mix.

Back
Top Bottom