Fryette D60 More not enough gain?

I'm not really a high gain guy so no real experience with these amps.

The "less compression" part makes some sense.

The "not saturated" doesn't make sense because saturation is gain as far as I'm aware...

Anyway, thanks for the replies.
No, saturation does not equal gain.
Gain means taking an input signal and making it larger (amplifying it). (note: gain is not the same thing as distortion)
Saturation is the point (and beyond) at which a tube can no longer amplify the signal.

No, saturation does not equal gain.
Gain means taking an input signal and making it larger (amplifying it). (note: gain is not the same thing as distortion)
Saturation is the point (and beyond) at which a tube can no longer amplify the signal.
In the context of a "high gain" amp, "gain" means distortion not the technical term "gain" referring to amplifying a signal. Otherwise, it would just be loud ;)

Distortion is clipping in the tube during amplification. What is different than saturation?

In the context of a "high gain" amp, "gain" means distortion not the technical term "gain" referring to amplifying a signal. Otherwise, it would just be loud ;)

Distortion is clipping in the tube during amplification. What is different than saturation?
Saturation is a form of distortion that adds pleasant-sounding harmonics when a circuit superimposes multiples of the input frequencies (harmonics) on the output.

I had a Pittbull a while back. It was a really cool, but very unforgiving amp. It had tons of gain, but somehow seemed to have very little compression or saturation. I don’t know how to describe it other than dry and stiff. I guess it’s the signature Fryette sound because the D60 I tried was the same. I think you almost need to experience it first hand. The only other amp I’ve played that had a similar feel was a Wizard.

I really don’t think this is a case of people recognizing saturation or compression vs actual distortion. I’ve never played through the actual amp, but have listened to many many examples of it. All I have to compare it to is from what I remember when I first bought my Axe II in 2012. The current iteration of the Deliverance 60 More has about half of the range of gain available compared to that original version.

Whether the current model is more accurate (most likely) or if there is an error, I do not know. I will say, judging by what I’ve researched, I feel it should have more gain at default.

That all said if you just turn up the input trim, I’m not sure that it really matters that much. That’s the beauty of these devices. Capabilities are pretty endless.

Here’s my bi-annual plug for adding a Fryette Ultralead model. Pretty please.

Fryette holds the schematic very close to the chest so it would have to be manually signal traced. On a multi channel amp that is a very time consuming process. Sadly, it probably won’t happen.

I think he got really close after the tweaks. It was interesting that the model seemed to have less gain. Could the bias level of his power amp tubes account for the observed difference?
For the lazy people does he actually list off all the tweaks?
I looked for the preset on the YouTube but don’t see it
IMO he is like 99% there

Last edited:
I think he got really close after the tweaks. It was interesting that the model seemed to have less gain. Could the bias level of his power amp tubes account for the observed difference?
thanks 🙏

i think there are a few settings under the hood on the tube side that could account for the difference, but the gain was the one that stood out the most, ie. the gain on the real amp compared to the fractal model

i did try different preamp tubes within the fm3 but it seemed best with the 12ax7a i think that i ended up with

ultimately the biggest change was putting the input trim at 2, that value could be tweaked some more i think along with some of those lower mids in the fractal model, the real amp still seemed to have more high end extension / harmonics, if that's down to the resolution on the model or something else hard to say

thanks 🙏

i think there are a few settings under the hood on the tube side that could account for the difference, but the gain was the one that stood out the most, ie. the gain on the real amp compared to the fractal model

i did try different preamp tubes within the fm3 but it seemed best with the 12ax7a i think that i ended up with

ultimately the biggest change was putting the input trim at 2, that value could be tweaked some more i think along with some of those lower mids in the fractal model, the real amp still seemed to have more high end extension / harmonics, if that's down to the resolution on the model or something else hard to say
Thank you !!!!
It sounds really good man

thanks for the feedback on the video in any case, much appreciated 🙏 good to hear and talk with fellow VHT /Fryette fans, they're some of my favourite amps

I'll revisit this a bit further down the line once i do a playthrough of the amp with other settings a simple pedalboard , and recreate the sound i used to have with the amp

any requests / questions, let me know, love talking about this stuff

it's an older model, no fx loop on there or did i have it modded, so everything into the front 😊 lots of fun

Fryette/VHT amps are famously dry. This gives the impression of less gain.
I played a D60 for a couple of my busiest years gigging live. It was the driest classic rock to metal amp I ever played.
I didn't have a loop on mine so there wasn't even any reverb or delay to smooth anything out day to day.

The Deliverance highlighted and punished me for sloppiness or poor technique like no other amp.
It was a genuinely jarring reality at first, coming from a gen1 Carvin Vai head - but it made me a better player over time.
It's like a bear everyone should have to wrestle in their road to mastery. : )

Back
Top Bottom