Fryette building 1U power tube amp for Axe?

Aha , now I know why a tube amp sounds better then a SS ... impedance

The clarity and overall more open sound that comes from tubes is the thing I like compared to SS amps ...

PS : that's why I sold my Matrix GT800FX ;-)

Aha , now I know why a tube amp sounds better then a SS ... impedance

The clarity and overall more open sound that comes from tubes is the thing I like compared to SS amps ...

PS : that's why I sold my Matrix GT800FX ;-)
Now I'm absolutely sure you miss your Egnater ....
Cheers from Mallorca Raff :p

Now I'm absolutely sure you miss your Egnater ....
Cheers from Mallorca Raff :p

Damn , I wish I never had sold my Velocity Valve , however a heavy beast , but hey If you play metal don't complain about a Heavy Rig ;-)

ps : How's the amp doing ? I'm going to buy a Diezel D-moll Head as soon as it comes out , was looking for a "backup" fryette 2902 or 2502 , but if I could find a velocity valve i'd be all over it ... I realized how rare and good it was after I sold it :)

"Originally Posted by Fryette Amplification"
In case you were wondering what other cool projects might be going on at Fryette lately, have a look! A...., Axe-FX, K..... and L......6 all sent us their latest modeling gear to test/demo with our soon to be released LXII 1U stereo power amp pictured just below the Axe (not the poduction cosmetics version). Our GP3 preamp served as a tube reference pre. A Fryette Two/Fifty/Two power amp served as the tube power reference and a very linear BGW solid state power amp that we use for testing speakers served as the FRFR reference amp.
View attachment 12682 View attachment 12683

The second pic is not the lxii , it's a new mystery product fryette is working on , the lxii in the stack has green powerbutton , input jacks , the pic on the right has no input on the front panel. Guess on the FB page they say it's something else , the lxii is ready to go into production and not a prototype (i believe)

Raf

I just sold my matrix because it just did not stand out in a band situation. Loud enough yes , but playing in a band with most gigs without PA , it lacks b.lls.

I even sold my ultra and got an 11R
anyway plugged the 11R in the power amp section of a mesa dual rectifier : instant tone heaven , switched back to the matrix : gone

Sounds like you don't know how to set your AxeFX up properly. If I was to plug my now nicely tweaked AxeFX2 that sounds "tone heaven" through my Matrix, into a Mesa valve head, it would sound over-cooked. You cannot expect a patch set up to work for one type of system to work through an entirely different type of system. If you don't have the tone in the AxeXF and add it through the color of the valve amp, you'll find it lacksing in what is sent to the mixer ... I prefer to use FRFR, get the tone right out of the AxeFX and have it right out of the rig and out of the PA. Yes it takes a bit more work, but sometimes you have to work at things to get them how you want them, the AxeFX is no exception.

If there is one thing the Matrix gear does not lack, it is balls. I've barely managed to get my GT1000FX even slightly warm, and it is way louder than I will ever need. As for tone, I get the tone I need out of me AxeFX II, rather than just giving up and selling it on, I worked on my patches to get the sounds I wanted, and for me, it's worked. If you need to add a Mesa Dual Rectifier to get your tone, then you haven't got your patches right yet.

I am off course assuming you meant "balls" above, no longer having to hunt down sets of EL34's and KT66's now I have a Matrix, you might have mean "it lacks bills" ;)

I felt this way about the Matrix GT800FX too....then I got the GT1000FX....whole different animal I assure you. 800 = no thanks....1000 = bye bye tube amp. 4 months later and zero regrets and plenty of volume and band situation oomph and cut.

I just sold my matrix because it just did not stand out in a band situation. Loud enough yes , but playing in a band with most gigs without PA , it lacks b.lls.

I even sold my ultra and got an 11R

anyway plugged the 11R in the power amp section of a mesa dual rectifier : instant tone heaven , switched back to the matrix : gone

So saying we don't need tubes is not true in case of metal , high volume , punchy , rich upper harmonics ...

This is my recent comparison , no brainer for me : I NEED TUBES ;-)

Raf

I have recently purchased a matrix gt1000 but after a week of trying to get the sound and repsonse that i was happy with ended up returning it and asking for a refund. The people from matrix were very helpful but i couldn't get to a point sound but mainly response that i was completely happy with.

I use the axe2 into a mesa 20/20 and i found that at band level my mesa made the notes bounce and responed better to how i was playing the guitar. Low vol[umes al was good the matrix was better even because it has quiter fan operation.

However i cannot bring myself to part with my valve power amp yet, as good as the axe is i think real valves in the amplification stage add something to the end resulting live sound.

I have recently purchased a matrix gt1000 but after a week of trying to get the sound and repsonse that i was happy with ended up returning it and asking for a refund. The people from matrix were very helpful but i couldn't get to a point sound but mainly response that i was completely happy with.

I use the axe2 into a mesa 20/20 and i found that at band level my mesa made the notes bounce and responed better to how i was playing the guitar. Low vol[umes al was good the matrix was better even because it has quiter fan operation.

However i cannot bring myself to part with my valve power amp yet, as good as the axe is i think real valves in the amplification stage add something to the end resulting live sound.

Fair enough. Whatever sounds good is good.
But for me CrazyTrainer's response above pretty much covers it. The answer to your power amp needs lies within the axe-fx itself. Quite a bit of tweaking though....

ok I need to know what cab you're playing thru , the cab sims on or off? and what amp model this is in the demo patch, becuase for the life of me I cannot get my Axe II to sound anywhere near this clear and full and chimey thru my Mesa 50/50 or my Art SLA2 with the cab sims off into my Recto cab.
As soon as I turn off the speaker sims or drop in an Fx loop it sounds like the sound is coming thru a transistor radio (kind of like what it sounds like
when I go into my monitors with the cab sims off) but not quite as bad.

From the price standpoint and the fact it's still a tube poweramp I'm sticking with my 2/50/2. It might be heavier than the LXII but I can run 6L6's as well as EL34's in the 2/50/2. But I usually play my Ultra straight to the board these days 'cause I'm getting too tired lugging all that weight around. ;-)
Still, it's nice to have more options for those looking to power a cab.

Anyone got any connections and have a real release date on this? I get no response from fryette when I email and ask. I was ready to buy a matrix but this is winning me over because I also have a Randall RM4 preamp with a buttload of modules that the enhance function on the fryette would be awesome because I can use it for both preamps I have. Something like the Randall really needs some depth and presence but then the AXEFX really needs none with the poweramp sims on so the fryette I could use for both but it the fryette is 6 months out or something I'll just get a Matrix Gt1000 and call it good.

I'm interested in what Steve said in regards to output impedance on the SS amp being lower and making the speaker response tighter. I'm not an electrical engineer and don't claim to know a lot about how amps work. Is there a way to engineer a SS amp to have a higher output impedance ? I mean if that is all that is holding up the show then there has to be something that can be done to make it work. Which brings me to the next question... does this same theory apply to an FR cab as well?

delayed 6-8 weeks (per the Axe Palace)
crap.............really looking forward to snagging one of these.

delayed 6-8 weeks (per the Axe Palace)
crap.............really looking forward to snagging one of these.

I'll try and hold out for a while longer but I may get too impatient and get a Matrix. I probably should just get one anyways but I could get a Fryette most likely from Musicians Friend that has a return policy if im not blown away. Id hate to get a Matrix and not be blown away then be stuck with trying to resell it.

I too am looking into this Amp. Presently using an ART SLA-1 with my Egnater rig and a Palmer DIDG-ST for tube amp simulation. Sounds great. I just did a comparision with a Carvin TS100 50w 6L6 tube Power Amp really not much of an improvement though than what I have now so I sent it back.

I like everything about this new offering except its price. I have a Mesa 2:90 that I bought new for less than that (clearance from GC). And even if I didn't, $1,299 for the LXII vs $1,579 for the 2:90 (which has deep, half power & modern modes as well), the Mesa is a much better value. I don't know why but, I thought the LXII was going to street for $999 max. I'm not saying Fryette stuff is not worth the money as you'll NEVER pry my Ultra-Lead 120 head from my cold dead fingers but, am I the only one that thinks $1,299 for an 80 watt tube power section is just a bit much?

I like everything about this new offering except its price. I have a Mesa 2:90 that I bought new for less than that (clearance from GC). And even if I didn't, $1,299 for the LXII vs $1,579 for the 2:90 (which has deep, half power & modern modes as well), the Mesa is a much better value. I don't know why but, I thought the LXII was going to street for $999 max. I'm not saying Fryette stuff is not worth the money as you'll NEVER pry my Ultra-Lead 120 head from my cold dead fingers but, am I the only one that thinks $1,299 for an 80 watt tube power section is just a bit much?

Perhaps the 1 unit form factor, weighing less than 20 lbs, with 6L6 tubes is an attractive feature for some people. I like it. I probably would like to see the side by side with the Matrix, and Retro.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom