Fryette 2:90:2 vs Atomic 50/50

echo44

Inspired
Hi Thinking of switching from my FRFR system to
more of a power amp through a cab system yet I still want to
keep all the nuances and control the axe Fx II provides.

I am thinking about going with either the Fryette(VHT) or the Atomic 50/50
anyone try them both and have any opinions?

Can you still use the output modeling on the Axe?

How do you think these would sound through a 2X12 cab such as a
bogner cab? Or would you by the FRFR passive atomic cabs?

Atomic 50/50 + Atomic cabs = FRFR with max nuances and control. I use a pair of FBT VERVE 12ma's for the same purposes and find they have more "girth" than the Atomic set-up. Others here are very high on the RCF NX 12-SMA monitors.

Fryette 2:90 + 2x12 cab = defined tone, which could be awesome if that is your preferred tone. Trey Anastasio, Jerry Garcia for example use(d) a specific amp and 4 (3) 12" speakers.

I have a Mesa Boogie 2:90 with a pair of MB 1x12 speakers (one 3/4 open-back and one recto) which I plan on auditioning with my AXE FX once the amp gets back from servicing for channel noise. I'm thinking that will have even more girth!

On another note, I have been building my own presets on my Mackie HR824 monitors and I am getting some pretty satisfying tones by turning them up to almost clipping levels - plenty loud for sitting right in front of them!

Last edited:

Ether one of those power amps will be good and will work with the amp modeling, the cab modeling I personally would turn off though. Unless you load a speaker that is fairly neutral the speakers that are in the Bogner cab will impose color on whatever amp sim you use. But this only costs you some versatility and not really nuance.

Mr Fryette has been building amps for years. He knows how to make them sound great and builds them to last. I'd be concerned with Atomics durability. Personally I'd go fryette 7 days of the week and twice on Sunday!

The closest you will get to FRFR is the Atomics (cab and amp sims on). As I said before, there were minor colorations with the VHT (2/50/2) and whole lot with Mesa (stereo 2:100.) When I used the VHT/Mesa & Genz Benz 212 - (Cab and amp sims were off. ) ................best advice for anyone that asks the types of questions is Try everything until your satisfied. You will rest on something for sure.

If you have an AXeII I encourage you to try something like my rig, FR and SS amp or FRFR as you would say.... is a lovely sensation to hear that you are playing through a SS amp and that your mind is telling you IT MUST BE A TUBE INSIDE!!! I have seen that AxeI was not a cup of tea for everybody, it wasn't for me and if I still had it I would be playing through my sold VHT2902 and an Orange 4x12 cab.. AxeI can't do nice Poweramps sims period........ But Axe II is a freaking advancement and a thousand miles improvement in that Area so take advantage of that and enjoy the weightless reliability and power of FRFR systems... just my 02... cheers..!..

Having tried both of those amps ( and MANY others ), you cannot go wrong with the atomic 50/50. Very neutral sound. The Fryette I did not like at all. Seemed to have a cold, sterile sound, was hard to dial out.
I tried both the 2/90/2 and 2/50/2, despite differences in tubes they sounded the same to me. The 50/50 is nice because it has XLR in's and outs as well. 50 watts per side is PLENTY loud enough as well. I run mine into
a port city OS 2x12 with EV12L speakers. I run it in stereo so each speakers gets a power amp. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom