Frustration trying to get a custom impulse into the axe...

thinkpad20

Inspired
So for the first time (in owning the Axe for over a year!) I'm trying to put in a user IR. Namely, the catharsis s-preshigh that is widely known. I've got the wav, I got the conversion utility, no problem right? Wrong.

1) I put the wav into the win32 directory of the conversion utility.
2) I open up the utility and choose the file.
3) ERROR: FAILED to find MEX-File on path : upfirdn.dll :?
4) OK... a little while of googling later I find out that for some reason that dll isn't included, so I downloaded it.
5) Try again.
6) ERROR: Index exceeds matrix dimensions. :?
7) OK... no idea here. Hmm, maybe it has to do with this cryptic line in the wiki page for conversion:

"Zero pad the .wav to 4k (4096) samples or more."
Apparently everyone except me knows what "zero pad" means and how to do it... after much fruitless searching around on the net, I ASSUME it has to do with resampling the impulse to 48000 Hz, so
8) Use GoldWave to resample the WAV to 48000 Hz (was at 44800)
9) Save file
10) Try again.
11) ERROR: Index exceeds matrix dimensions. :x
12) OK, maybe the file is too big... I open it up in GoldWave and save it as a 16 bit PCM (was 24 bit)
13) Try again.
11) ERROR: Index exceeds matrix dimensions. :evil: :evil:

What's going on here? Why is this so hard? And why does there seem to be practically zero documentation about this?

Argh

Not sure I can be much help. I use a demo version of r8brain pro to change to sample rates of 48khz, and I've never had any issues using Alberta's conversion utility. Perhaps you want to give r8brain a go?

If you do, I use the following settings:

Out samplerate: 48000
Out bit depth: Original
Filter: LinPhase

Mark

Not sure I understand what program are you trying to use.
Is it the Fractal converter?
here are the wav file requirement:

It must be 48KHz
It must be 24 bit
It must be MONO!

Length... I don't have the exact numbers but make sure it's not too long
or too short.
Very short impulses are rejected, add silence at the end.

:D

I'm using Cliff's converter that's linked from the axe wiki. I'll try adding a little silence at the end I guess... any idea how much silence?

thinkpad20 said:
I'm using Cliff's converter that's linked from the axe wiki. I'll try adding a little silence at the end I guess... any idea how much silence?

I usually make sure the total lenght is between 0.5-0.8 seconds
And again make sure it's MONO

;)

I'd use AlbertAs IR converter found here.

Of course, they have to be in 48kHz, but you know all that already. Use one cab block in the preset, and choose the user spot you want to load the IR into. Good luck. :)

Albert's tool is the simplest way to process an IR. (wav file, 48khz, 24 bits, not sure it works in 32bits)

Back
Top Bottom