Front panel Headphone out

damienmcgauley

Inspired
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone here can help me with a problem I'm having with the front panel headphone socket. I've tried different headphones and different adapters but when I plug my headphones into the front panel (using a stereo mini jack -> stereo 1/4" jack adaptor) I can only hear audio in the right ear. If I pull the large adaptor half way out then I get both headphone speakers working but just in mono.

Am I doing something stupid in the settings? I can't find a headphone tab. I get stereo out into my powered monitors from the rear panel fine and stereo out of the RCA connections on the rear panel fine. I've haven't noticed the problem until recently as previously I had my wireless Sennheiser RS220 base station connected to the RCA connectors on the rear.

I've also noticed that the volume rotary encoder is quite noisy through the headphone output. Grounding issue?

I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Best regards,

Damien

@Chris: Cheers, I was hoping that it would be a menu setting. I'll copy this in an email this to support

@jepp: Thanks for the advice jeppe but I don't have a Stereo Jack splitt cable to two XLRs to try this.

Sounds like theres only a singnal on one side (Left or Right), and when you pull the jack out slightly that side is making contact with both terminals of the jack. Thats either your adaptor (which seems to be working OK - but id check it for continuity to be safe) or a hardware issue in the AFX.

The only other thing to check - and I know this sounds daft - but do you have a stereo signal? you havent panned anything hard left or right in the patch or output settings? I dont think thats the issue as the phone jack should mirror the XR output, but worth checking.

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone here can help me with a problem I'm having with the front panel headphone socket. I've tried different headphones and different adapters but when I plug my headphones into the front panel (using a stereo mini jack -> stereo 1/4" jack adaptor) I can only hear audio in the right ear. If I pull the large adaptor half way out then I get both headphone speakers working but just in mono.

Am I doing something stupid in the settings? I can't find a headphone tab. I get stereo out into my powered monitors from the rear panel fine and stereo out of the RCA connections on the rear panel fine. I've haven't noticed the problem until recently as previously I had my wireless Sennheiser RS220 base station connected to the RCA connectors on the rear.

I've also noticed that the volume rotary encoder is quite noisy through the headphone output. Grounding issue?

I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Best regards,

Damien

I got the same problem. I have had it since day 1. Since I got mine when they first came out, I guess fractal was very busy, and support was not very supportive. I think after multiple emails I finally did get them to send me a replacement cable that is part of the headphone circuit, but that did not correct the issue. Hopefully you will get it figured out and let me know how it was corrected.

I'm having similar problems, volume jumps and drop outs through the headphone output. I haven't got around to organizing anything with support since I rarely use the headphone jack. At the moment I have no sound at all through the headphone jack.

I haven't had a chance to open the axe and look inside yet (home renovations taking priority!)but I'll check the continuity on the cable you all speak of and get back to you.

Strange that so many of us have this problem and if it is a H/W problem that it got through QC. I understand that as one of the first batch they were trying to get the product out the door but when I've written test procedures for any HiFi equipment I've designed there's always a test to see if the headphone out L&R really is L&R and not R&L or faulty.

Having said all that, it'll probably end up being my stupid fault for having something L only in the signal path (although the studio monitors definitely output stereo......)

Back
Top Bottom