Front input interface in racks

papaflann

Inspired
I see alot of guys that have this multi-input single space rackmount piece that is the female ends of multiple types of cables. I assume there are cables going into the back of the Axe fx, but allows you to plug straight in to the front of your rack and not have to plug cables into the back of the axe fx.

Can someone give some advice on this and where to purchase etc....Does it work well?

Thanks

Thanks man. Wow, there are alot of models there. Which one did you go with and why?

Redco has a panel design utility online, and stores your configuration, so you can link back to it, if you don't have time to finish. You can even write the name of the jack, and they print it on the metal panel like "Guitar In" "USB" etc....

and don't forget the pros at Best-tronix. There is a link to their site on the Fractal website under "cables". I've ordered a few things from them and the quality is first rate all the way.

Just ordered and received a Vafam panel. On his website there is a configuration sheet.

Axe-FX Panel Configuration Sheet

I just copied it to an email and edited it for my needs, emailed it to him. He responded with a picture of exactly what I had configured so possibility of mistakes were low and I got what I ordered quickly. Smooth and easy. :eagerness:

Just ordered and received a Vafam panel. On his website there is a configuration sheet.

Axe-FX Panel Configuration Sheet

I just copied it to an email and edited it for my needs, emailed it to him. He responded with a picture of exactly what I had configured so possibility of mistakes were low and I got what I ordered quickly. Smooth and easy. :eagerness:
Yep. 100% what I needed for both of my panels, and I received them very quickly.

I love my VAFAM panels. I've purchased (1) unit for myself and multiple units for my AxeFx clients.
100% recommend their service & product for anyone who wanted this type of device.

Thanks man. Wow, there are alot of models there. Which one did you go with and why?

I just chose the things I would be using on a regular basis. I move around a lot (teaching, gigs, rehearsals, etc), and use it for a lot of different setups, so I needed almost everything routed to the front. All ins and outs, pedal, MIDI, usb, MFC, and power.

Just decide what you think you'd be plugging in regularly enough to warrant it, and go with that. You can get 8 or 16 hole configurations (but you don't need to fill all of them). The prices vary depending on what kind of connectors you request and how many.

One word of caution: if you do have MIDI in/out on the panel, make sure it's not located anywhere near the audio ins or outs. I had mine initially setup with my MIDI by my 1/4" outs and I was getting crosstalk. The data bursts of the tap tempo click where audible in the out 1/2 lines. I shifted it over to be next to my MFC and USB ports now and the problem went away.

So I put in an email order to Vafam this morning. Check out my order. Let me know what ya'll think and if i screwed anything up (likely). Peace.

Unit would be based upon or very similar to : Unit G20-B or Custom Panel Assembly - VS-2013-10-21-21

I. From Left to Right on front of the panel
a. #1 Power in - with associated stand alone cable of 15 ft
b. Power out - the version with the female power that would be inserted into a normal external unit or a desktop computer (speakon to female power). This cable would be one of the members of a 30 ft snake. The next two members of the snake are c. and d.
c. #12 – Output 2 – FX Send Left Unbalanced Trs
i. With associated ¼ to ¼ cable that will go in the above snake (30ft)
d. #4 Faslink
i. With associated XLRF cable to conclude the 3 members snake (30 ft)
e. #3 Ethernet
f. #13 – Output 2 – FX Send –Right Unbalanced
g. #5 Midi Out / Thru
h. #7 USB
i. #14 Output 1 – Balanced Left – XLRM
j. #15 Output 1 – Balanced Right – XLRM
k. #16 Output 1 – Unbalanced Left – TRS
l. #17 Output 1 – Unbalanced Right TRS
II. Please include all labels associated with choices on the front panel
III. Snake review
a. 3 cable member snake consisting of :
i. 25-30 ft
ii. Power out cable
1. Speakon – computer tower female power end
iii. Faslink
1. XLRF
iv. Output 2 Left
1. TRS
IV. So two cables with this order
a. 1. Power in cable – 15 feet
b. 3 member snake.
V. Thanks!

I would recommend moving the MIDI out away from your audio cables. What are you using that for? If you're going to use it for a floorboard, you'll need MIDI in as well.

+1 for Hans and VFam. The great thing about those panels is that if you ever decide to make a change, you can just order a couple of new D hole Jacks, pre-wired with whatever you need from Hans. He's super fast. Then, 15 seconds and a Phillips screwdriver and you can reconfigure your panel. I had mine made a few couple of years back before I had an AXE, for a different rig. When I got the AXE, I just switched out 2 of the spots to add a FasLink connector and a hole to pass a cable to my front input (prefer that one.)

I would recommend moving the MIDI out away from your audio cables. What are you using that for? If you're going to use it for a floorboard, you'll need MIDI in as well.

Man I had 11 sure inputs I wanted so I just threw that one on there to get to 12. I won't use it much at all and the output 2 that is adjacent to it I would likely never use either. If I run stereo it would be thru output 1. I wouldn't see where I would run stereo with output 2. I guess I could get them to leave it blank.

Wow Thank you all for this. I have been looking for something like this for some time but wasn't really sure who to go with. Great stuff.

Yes, Vafam do international, but shipping costs add a fair bit to the price. However, by way of comparison, I made my own interface panel for my Axe rig and reckon that the cost of the parts, plus time and effort to put it all together (I'm not that great with a soldering iron), cost me more than a similar custom panel from Vafam for my tube rig rack. In fact, I'm in the process of ordering a Vafam panel for my Axe rig to replace my homemade effort, and have no hesitation in doing so.

Edit: For ordering, I sent Vafam an email with my configuration requirements and got a quote and rendered image back within 24 hours or so. Great service.

Last edited:
Anthony, that's a bit strange. I wrote to Hans on Friday morning and got a reply the next day (my time zone). Try him again: info at vafamsound.com

So I put in an email order to Vafam this morning. Check out my order. Let me know what ya'll think and if i screwed anything up (likely). Peace.

Unit would be based upon or very similar to : Unit G20-B or Custom Panel Assembly - VS-2013-10-21.........

How much $$ was this set-up?

Back
Top Bottom