From the FC-12, is there any way to modulate the metronome volume?

Hi All, thxs in advance for any help you might share.

From the FC-12, is there any way to modulate the metronome volume?

My objective is to essentially be able to create an adjustable click track I can control from the FC-12. Essentially use the tap tempo to establish the tempo and then need some way to remotely modulate the AxeFx III’s metronome volume.

Walking directly up to the fractal is not always a good option

thxs again

I don't think so. Normally we'd use a modifier, like a switch to toggle between values or a foot-controller, but the metronome's output doesn't allow linking a modifier.

Brainstorming:
  • It'd be useful to have the metronome available as a block with the usual four channels and the tempo and output level so it'd be possible to increment/decrement the channels and change the volume from an FC if desired.
  • Make it so it flashes the switch ring to show the tempo. Wire it to the OUT block if it needs to be audible.
  • Expose the tempo and Output settings so they can be added to the Performance pages. That'd still require going to the front panel but it'd be faster navigation.

I don't think so. Normally we'd use a modifier, like a switch to toggle between values or a foot-controller, but the metronome's output doesn't allow linking a modifier.

Brainstorming:
  • It'd be useful to have the metronome available as a block with the usual four channels and the tempo and output level so it'd be possible to increment/decrement the channels and change the volume from an FC if desired.
  • Make it so it flashes the switch ring to show the tempo. Wire it to the OUT block if it needs to be audible.
  • Expose the tempo and Output settings so they can be added to the Performance pages. That'd still require going to the front panel but it'd be faster navigation.
Thanks Greg,

I know the use of modifiers but obviously did not see one for this.

Very much appreciate your thoughts (and understand them). It would be a useful block for some of us.

Thanks again

Volume is easy. Use a switch or external pedal to mute or control click volume. The harder part it how you want to create the click in the first place.

Yep that's another work around. Assign a square wave LFO to the volume parameter of one of the synth voices and turn the square wave's duty cycle down really low to get a quick click, chirp, or beep depending on the synth wave and frequency you choose. If you set the LFO's tempo parameter to a quarter note, you can then use tap tempo as well.

If you want to get really fancy, you can also use the sequencer controller synced to the same tempo to set the frequency of the synth voice and create accent notes at various time signatures by varying the number of sequencer steps it uses, such as making the 1 beat a bit higher in pitch or whatever you want. 4 steps at quarter note tempo = 4/4, 3 steps = 3/4, 6 steps at eight note tempo = 6/8, 7 steps = 7/8, etc.

Last edited:
Yep that's another work around. Assign a square wave LFO to the volume parameter of one of the synth voices and turn the square wave's duty cycle down really low to get a quick click, chirp, or beep depending on the synth wave and frequency you choose. If you set the LFO's tempo parameter to a quarter note, you can then use tap tempo as well.

If you want to get really fancy, you can also use the sequencer controller synced to the same tempo to set the frequency of the synth voice and create accent notes at various time signatures by varying the number of sequencer steps it uses, such as making the 1 beat a bit higher in pitch or whatever you want. 4 steps at quarter note tempo = 4/4, 3 steps = 3/4, 6 steps at eight note tempo = 6/8, 7 steps = 7/8, etc.
Excellent! I understand and will give it a shot today. Really appreciate the help guys!

Volume is easy. Use a switch or external pedal to mute or control click volume. The harder part it how you want to create the click in the first place.
Very much appreciate the response. Might just be me but I don't see the capability of the metronome volume parameter to be linked to a modifier. Others have suggested excellent work-arounds but if you see how to attack the issue directly that would be great. Like i noted, i just don't see the provision of the metronome volume to accept a modifier.

You could bypass the block. If you’re using the Synth block for the click then you can control it’s volume with a pedal. If you’re using something else, such as an external click, then you could put a volume block after it.

Back
Top Bottom