From GSP2101 to Axe FX II = i miss some stuff and it's 20 Years ago...

Assign an IA on the MFC to be one of the externals. Assign the bypass control on the effects in the patch to that external. Now when that IA is on the effects are on, when that IA is off the effects are off.

Also when you do the above you can no longer easily bypass an effect in edit. Have to use MFC.

But that method is for global and not each preset.
No, that method I posted works on a per-preset basis.

I have a button on my MFC called WILD that's a freely assignable IA setup as an external in the AxeFx. I can have it do 10 things in one patch and 10 different things in another.

ON a POD HD, you can easily assign multiple FX to an IA and that can change on a preset by preset basis. I was going to start a thread on stuff I miss from POD. Then I saw this.
it's no different on the AxeFx.

I agree that scenes can resolve this in most cases. Not all though. Lets say someone uses 2 amps, with X and Y and 2 drives with x and y to get a wide variety of drive sounds.
Now they want an IA to kick on delay and phaser. Can't do it.
Not with a scene changed but you can have a single IA that turns delay and phaser on with one press. And what that IA controls can differ from patch to patch.

I am not bashing the Axe/MFC combo but there is room for improvement on the midi side. Scenes was a GREAT first step!!!

Heck, just sounds to me like you don't know all the things the AxeFx can do. Heck. The WILD IA approach works with non-MFC controllers as well as the MFC. Heck. :)

I'm a long time Digitech 2120 user so I'm familiar with the things you're looking for

On GSP if i want to switch a Effect on/off then i press Link on GSP, press the Btn on Footcotroller change the Value 1-127 or just on/off press link again and done.
So and if i want to assign Chorus & Delay to one Btn. just do it again on Delay and all is fine... that's pretty straight forward compared to MFC101!!!
There is a lot more that i can do on GSP but i can't do on AXE....

the Axe can assign multiple fx to a single single switch.. but it's not done the same way as with the GSP [which is seriously easy I know]
if you just want to turn things on and off you have a few possibilities..
scenes is an obvious choice.. and it's very easy to set up..
another possibility which is more flexible is to use modifiers [assign an IA to the MIDI CC that corresponds to the external modifier you want to use]
all this sounds complex but it's seriously not.. there's a pile of us in here that can walk you through it..

Unanswered Question:
1. How can i switch two or more Effects with one Btn on my MCF101 without using Scenes?

you can use modifiers..
personally, I like to use combinations of scenes and modifiers so I switch scene and trigger modifiers simultaneously..
this trick is immensely powerful..
can walk you through all this too

Most Important:
3. On my GSP if i switch from one Preset to the next one i could tell the Delay to stay until it's over... like i have a Lead Sound with heavy Delay on Preset2 and switch back to Preset 1 i could tell the GSP to keep the Delay until it's done... like 1 or 2 seconds... so that i could play the rhythm and the Delay fades out like normal...

there is no fx-unit out there that can handle "seamless" the way that the 2101 thru 2120 can when switching between presets..
not even the mighty Axe-II
there is an alternative though which works just as well..
you build more than one tone 'type' into your preset
for example.. you can build a preset that contains both your riffing tone and your soloing tone together..
here's a very simple example..
amp1 = JCM800 <-- riff
amp2 = 5150 mkI <--solo
you place the amps in parallel on the grid
imagine row2 on the grid is like this
in -> a few shunts -> amp1 -> cab1 -> many shunts -> delay -> reverb -> out
row3 is like this
the row2 shunt prior to amp1 also has a connection to row3: amp2 [the 5150] -> connects back up to row2 and goes into cab1
no matter if you use scenes or modifiers the following 'things' need to happen

IA switch in the off state = riff
amp1 = active [unbypassed]
amp2 = bypass: mute
reverb = bypass: mute fx in [so the reverb tail is not cut when bypassed but it now acts like a 'thru' for the dry signal]
delay = bypass: mute fx in [so the delay tail is not cut when bypassed but it now acts like a 'thru' for the dry signal]

IA switch in the on state = solo
amp1 = bypass: mute
amp2 =active [unbypassed]
reverb = active [unbypassed]
delay = active [unbypassed]

unlike the 2101, not all fx types have factory defaults.. only some do..
so you have to make your own or grab a sysex file from another user / axe-change

48K sample rate is set in stone..
if you don't like / want it, just do as you did with the 2101 and record what comes out of the 1/4" jack outputs..

I had a 2120\2112 from like 1997 - 2007 when I bought the Axe-FX standard. I LOVED it. I would still be using it if there wasn't an Axe-FX. The 2112 was very similar to the 2101, but the routing wasn't as open as the 2101 and the AxeFX. There were about 20 different routing configuration that you could choose from.

When I sold my 2112 for the Axe-FX I picked up the RP-20 as a backup unit. ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/pdfs/Discontinued/Manuals/RP20.pdf

I still love that unit plugged into an amp. When I got the AXE-FX I was thinking of it as an updated and very sophisticated future of the Digitech 2112. I hope that someday, Fractal will release the corollary product to the RP-20. Many people have asked for an all-in-one foot unit. Would be cool.

-Phil

I had a 2120\2112 from like 1997 - 2007 when I bought the Axe-FX standard. I LOVED it. I would still be using it if there wasn't an Axe-FX. The 2112 was very similar to the 2101, but the routing wasn't as open as the 2101 and the AxeFX. There were about 20 different routing configuration that you could choose from.

When I sold my 2112 for the Axe-FX I picked up the RP-20 as a backup unit. ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/pdfs/Discontinued/Manuals/RP20.pdf

I still love that unit plugged into an amp. When I got the AXE-FX I was thinking of it as an updated and very sophisticated future of the Digitech 2112. I hope that someday, Fractal will release the corollary product to the RP-20. Many people have asked for an all-in-one foot unit. Would be cool.

-Phil

I still have and play my 2120's [have two of them]
they still sound superb...
in their day they were head and shoulders above everything else...
and even today, they can still have some capabilities that even the latest units don't..

old or modern.. great kit just is what it is... great kit..

This thread is funny.

what's actually quite funny is that there's a lot of very modern kit out there that can't do what the 20 year old 2101 - 2120 can...

EDIT: ahh... re-read my comment and it looks a bit like I'm having a dig at you..
which is totally not the case at all... so I hope you don't get the wrong end of the stick here...
I'm just stating something that's true...
and yeah it's kinda funny to me.. cos all these years later these units are still very powerful when put up against the latest stuff..
a testament to a very good design I guess...
it's a shame that the latest rack mounting Digitech is only 1/2 the machine that the 2120 is...
in my opinion, Digitech took a great many steps backwards with their latest offering...
it's a toy by comparison

what's actually quite funny is that there's a lot of very modern kit out there that can't do what the 20 year old 2101 - 2120 can...

It is pretty amazing. The Axe-FX Standard was the first box that managed to exceed the capabilities of the original 2101, and it took well over a decade for that to happen. The market went towards cheap and stupid for a long time after the 2101. Hell, even Digitech dumbed it down a bit with the 2112 and 2120.

I remember getting into the PODs and such, and I kept searching out used 2101s just because I was unhappy with everything else until the AFX Standard came along.

It is pretty amazing. The Axe-FX Standard was the first box that managed to exceed the capabilities of the original 2101, and it took well over a decade for that to happen. The market went towards cheap and stupid for a long time after the 2101. Hell, even Digitech dumbed it down a bit with the 2112 and 2120.

I remember getting into the PODs and such, and I kept searching out used 2101s just because I was unhappy with everything else until the AFX Standard came along.

So was me, first at discovering the existence of FA Axe Fx I understood that finally after ten years since 95 (last production of 2101's) there was something new that made it possible to abandon the 2101. All the other stuff (xxx famous brands) surely was wonderfull but I wanted it to fit in a 2U rack and that's it. No way to run around with a 8-16U spaced rack just for playing my 2-3 simple things. Ha, find yourself some photograph of the 2 monsters Edge is trailing around, howbeit, his artistic capabilities and technology did bring the art of popmusic a big step forward. We're lucky people to have all (ok, almost all) of this in a 2U unit ! Finally it's a cheap solution the Axe Fx, cannot imagine how much gear would have past by in the last 3 years without the Axe. Over and out with GAS.

Back
Top Bottom