From Fm9 to Fm3....crazy?

Thought about that too! Definitely another option!
I converted the first preset with Fractool; the extra amp was just deleted automatically leaving the in-line amp (Bassguy?).

It works great. CPU usage ranges from 67.5% to 70.3%. Six scenes are in the upper 60s and two cross over 70%. The highest one is scene 8 at 70.3%. You can easily squeeze quite a bit more into this.

Here is the converted preset.

Attachments

• Main Rig(FM3).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
I converted the first preset with Fractool; the extra amp was just deleted automatically leaving the in-line amp (Bassguy?).

It works great. CPU usage ranges from 67.5% to 70.3%. Six scenes are in the upper 60s and two cross over 70%. The highest one is scene 8 at 70.3%. You can easily squeeze quite a bit more into this.

Here is the converted preset.
Thank you! Really appreciate you taking the time to check for me. I could easily as you say add the Rotary block back in there with no issues if I wanted. Well I'm definitely tempted now that's for sure!

Thank you! Really appreciate you taking the time to check for me. I could easily as you say add the Rotary block back in there with no issues if I wanted. Well I'm definitely tempted now that's for sure!
Converting with Fractool is a breeze so long as it fits in the 4x12 grid. The only thing weird was (and I've seen this before) I couldn't load it with Preset Manager; I had to use the Import Preset option from the task bar.

You can easily add the Rotary block plus some to this. For anyone following, this was tested on an FM3 MkII but a gen one FM3 would be able to handle it. I don't know if you could add the Rotary to a gen one unit, possibly so but it would be tight.

Converting with Fractool is a breeze so long as it fits in the 4x12 grid. The only thing weird was (and I've seen this before) I couldn't load it with Preset Manager; I had to use the Import Preset option from the task bar.

You can easily add the Rotary block plus some to this. For anyone following, this was tested on an FM3 MkII but a gen one FM3 would be able to handle it. I don't know if you could add the Rotary to a gen one unit, possibly so but it would be tight.
I've never used Fractool to be honest. I've always just imported the preset straight to the editor. I've downloaded it now though. Good to know on the MK1 FM3. I'd definitely be able to save a bit by going for a MK1, there's plenty of 2nd hand ones out there, but I think I'd prefer to go with the MKII.

I've never used Fractool to be honest. I've always just imported the preset straight to the editor. I've downloaded it now though. Good to know on the MK1 FM3. I'd definitely be able to save a bit by going for a MK1, there's plenty of 2nd hand ones out there, but I think I'd prefer to go with the MKII.
More power is always good. ;)
Oh and the larger scribble strip screens are really nice.

More power is always good. ;)
Oh and the larger scribble strip screens are really nice.
Definitely! That's one of the reasons I ended up buying an RJM MMGT22 because of the larger displays. I did have an FC12 MKII but I wanted more foot switches lol.

(Damn, the GT22 is $1999. Ow. That's a lot more than my FC12. I still want one, but it's not going to happen any time soon.)

(Damn, the GT22 is $1999. Ow. That's a lot more than my FC12. I still want one, but it's not going to happen any time soon.)
Yeah it wasn't cheap, especially with import fees into the UK from Germany. That's where the nearest RJM dealer is. I'd saved up a little and decided to pay the rest off. It's well worth it though. Ironically a couple of weeks later a mint condition one was listed on Reverb for £1800! Typical lol

If memory serves right rotary added 7% or so from my FM9 to fm3 mk ii patch. I could be wrong but if you're at 70% it'll definitely fit. I got rid of drive two block bc rotary is too good to get rid of. One of my favorite blocks.

I"ve been bouncing this around for awhile. I'm considering downsizing to the Fm3. Why? I can recoup some money, still have fractal sounds, and it takes less space for transport to gigs. I'm also considering adding a B9 (from EH) to my set up. I'm not even close to using the Fm9 to it's potential, and dual amps isn't important to me. Am I crazy? Anyone downsized like this?

No, your not crazy. It all depends on what you need/want. I am a bedroom player but I sold my FM3 and got the FM9T because I really like the possibility to experiment with dual amps. To me the FM9 is perfect.

If memory serves right rotary added 7% or so from my FM9 to fm3 mk ii patch. I could be wrong but if you're at 70% it'll definitely fit. I got rid of drive two block bc rotary is too good to get rid of. One of my favorite blocks.
Thanks for all the info chaps! Really appreciate it! Still deciding what to do to be honest. I'd like to own all 3 units if I can but my wallet says otherwise lol.

Finally decided to sell my FM9 and get an FM3 MKII Turbo. It took me long enough to decide but I think it's the right choice.

I’ve got an Axe-FX 3 Turbo with FC-12 foot switch and an FM9 Turbo. The Axe-FX 3 is in my basement studio and the FM9 is upstairs. The FM9 is the unit I’ll take when I play at friends houses or play out. I really like the foot switches with both of these setups. I wish the FM9 had the Real-time Analyzer block like the Axe-FX 3. Other than that, the FM9 seems to have everything I want / need. I use the dual amps feature and multi cabinet feature in both units.

I thought about getting an FM3 instead of the FM9. The form factor on the FM3 would be more convenient to travel / fly with. If I flew on planes more with my guitar and effects I probably would’ve gotten the FM3 and would’ve been happy with it.

Now I feel spoiled by the extra foot switches and capabilities of the FM9. I think I’d have a hard time switching to an FM3.

Last setup before switching ultimately to floor units was a 5U rack AxeIII along with an RJM22 in a flight case, the flexibility and ease of use was always at 110%! But so was my back when carrying all that weight to rehearsals and gigs.

When the FM3 was introduced, I immediately jumped on the wagon, switched all that mighty setup for 3 switches.
Shortly after I realized how radical that switch was (22 buttons down to 3!) so added an FC6 but still, I wasn’t 100% happy because of the lag on preset switching back then.
So, when the FM9 was introduced, I knew it is what I needed, and it is! I've switched from the 3 to the 9 and by that, my search for a Swiss knife without compromising on switches and also reduce so much weight, was over.

I wish I could shrink my setup to 3 switches but I can't due to the current band I'm in which requires more than 3.
There are no rules, the 3 is great and if you smartly use the CPU, you can get whatever you need out of this unit.
For me it was more a problem of the switches rather than CPU capability.

When upgrading from an AX8, I thought long and hard about the FM3. Small, light, easy to carry, handles, cheaper, and I only use 1 amp at a time. What made my decision was outputs. Also having an EHX organ pedal (C9), I needed 3. Out1 to a stage monitor, Out2 to FOH, Out3 a loop with the C9 and a Digitech FreqOut. You can run Monitor/FOH on 1 output as L and R, but you give up the ability to adjust levels independently on the fly, or run a stereo rig later. FM9 does all that and more. No regrets! But I do miss the handle.

FM9 finally sold yesterday! I got a decent price for it as well which I'm really happy about. I have enough to buy the FM3 brand new and a Powerstage 200 2nd hand. FM3 MKII Turbo ordered this morning from Sukh at G66. Looking forward to seeing how I get on.

Last edited:
FM3 MKII Turbo received yesterday from Sukh at G66. Thanks for the quick turnaround Sukh! So far so good! I get about 75% max cpu with my kitchen sink preset and that was with the rotary block added as well. So I'm very happy.

It's strange using just one amp block but I guess I'll get used to it. And I still have my Axe if I need it. I'm using 4 channels in total obviously lol. One for clean, one for my Traixis Yell Rhythm and also triaxis yell for my solos. Channel 4 is a Dirty Shirley 2 for less gainer tones. I could easily use control switches on my Triaxis channels and that would free up another channel.

I ended up copying my main preset to another empty preset, taking out the rotary block and added the virtual capo in and playing along to Danger Zone half step down with some dimension C. Sounded fantastic! and I ended up losing track of time lol

Time to start mounting to a pedalboard I suppose! Thanks again guys for all your help with checking my preset, really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Have had them both. The FM3 had a few bugs IMO, but is very very good sound of course.
I went back to an FM9 Turbo which can be had cheap used now.

Back
Top Bottom