From Fm9 to Fm3....crazy?

There is that option too I suppose! I don't think I'll need the FM9 as I already have an Axe too. Usually when using my FM9 it's on the same board as my exp pedals etc but I might stick it on its own board and see how I get on.

I used to run it that way when I first got it. I'd put it on my cab behind me and and then just run an FC12 out front.
I know a lot of Axe FX guys run with it live! Ever since FAS went to a 3 space format with all of the other features I saw it mainly as a studio pice first. The FM9 filled the gap between that and the FM3 especially if you are running with basic presets that don't require a lot of CPU.

I have thought of picking up an FM3 just for that super small gig when all of the space you have is the space you are standing in ;)

I know a lot of Axe FX guys run with it live! Ever since FAS went to a 3 space format with all of the other features I saw it mainly as a studio pice first. The FM9 filled the gap between that and the FM3 especially if you are running with basic presets that don't require a lot of CPU.

I have thought of picking up an FM3 just for that super small gig when all of the space you have is the space you are standing in ;)
My thoughts exactly I'll have to check my CPU usage on my Axe and FM9. It's not a lot that's for sure. I don't run anything big reverb or delay wise so its worth thinking about.

I tend to just run a comp, wah, phaser, drive, amp, cab, vol, chorus, delay and reverb both in parallel. Maybe a trem and rotary. That's like my kitchen sink preset.

If its something specific I need like the Virtual Capo or Multi delay then I'll just use another preset and have just what I need in that.

I sold both my mk i fm3 and my Fm9 and picked up a mk ii fm3 and do not regret it at all. Running a kitchen sink preset with input 1 & input 2, comp, drive, amp, cab, rotary, filter, delay, plex dly and mult delay, fx loop and output blocks. My cpu runs bw 78-80% depending on the scene. I use a two button aux switch and by maximizing the 8 scenes on the first view I barley touch view two or the aux. Just have to plan it out a bit but I love it.

With the Plex delay block I was able to do without reverb. And the mult dly you can get chorus/vibe tones if you tweak right. Definitely not for everyone but absolutely doable.

I sold both my mk i fm3 and my Fm9 and picked up a mk ii fm3 and do not regret it at all. Running a kitchen sink preset with input 1 & input 2, comp, drive, amp, cab, rotary, filter, delay, plex dly and mult delay, fx loop and output blocks. My cpu runs bw 78-80% depending on the scene. I use a two button aux switch and by maximizing the 8 scenes on the first view I barley touch view two or the aux. Just have to plan it out a bit but I love it.

With the Plex delay block I was able to do without reverb. And the mult dly you can get chorus/vibe tones if you tweak right. Definitely not for everyone but absolutely doable.
Sounds like it will work for me then! Do you remember what the CPU was reading when you had your FM9 with the same preset?

Based on going from the FM3 to the FM9 myself, I would say that I easily could have continued on with my FM3 as my main rig. I don't regret having made the plunge, but I would have been happy to use the FM3 for years to come, so if money is an issue consider that!

Sounds like it will work for me then! Do you remember what the CPU was reading when you had your FM9 with the same preset?
Fm9 I was using more stuff. I was around 78-80 as well but I had hi res cabs(dyna cab wasn't out yet) and was using two drive blocks and well as two amp blocks. Also reverb block but that takes like 1-2% cpu on Fm9. Mind you I didn't need those extras but the cpu allowed for it so I threw it in.

Last edited:
Fm9 I was using more stuff. I was around 78-80 as well but I had hi res cabs(dyna cab wasn't out yet) and was using two drive blocks and well as two amp blocks. Also reverb block but that takes like 1-2% cpu on Fm9. Mind you I didn't need those extras but the cpu allowed for it so I threw it in.
Got it!! Thanks for the info. I checked my Axe and my FM9. Both are running at just over 45% on my main preset. So I think I’ll get away with it!

Got it!! Thanks for the info. I checked my Axe and my FM9. Both are running at just over 45% on my main preset. So I think I’ll get away with it!
If you're at 45% on those it'll definitely go up but you should be good w an fm3 again as long as you're not needing some of those second blocks. Even w reverb you can use lower quality and echo density to make it work and still sound great.

IMO FM3 is plenty of power for most users. It won't do the twin amp thing and if you're into experimental/ambient stuff you might need more. Otherwise you'll be fine.

If you have a kitchen sink preset you want to confirm, you could post it here (unless of course it was purchased) and I or someone else with an FM3 could let you know.

Here are a couple of examples:

Pete Thorn's "Plexi" preset available for download:
1693656494455.png

A kitchen sink preset Burgs posted previously:
1693656687278.png

Both of these ran fine on my first gen FM3. I upgraded to the MKII, but haven't reloaded them to note any difference in usage.

IMO FM3 is plenty of power for most users. It won't do the twin amp thing and if you're into experimental/ambient stuff you might need more. Otherwise you'll be fine.

If you have a kitchen sink preset you want to confirm, you could post it here (unless of course it was purchased) and I or someone else with an FM3 could let you know.

Here are a couple of examples:

Pete Thorn's "Plexi" preset available for download:
View attachment 126092

A kitchen sink preset Burgs posted previously:
View attachment 126093

Both of these ran fine on my first gen FM3. I upgraded to the MKII, but haven't reloaded them to note any difference in usage.
That's a big help chaps thank you. I don't do the dual amp thing and I'm not into the ambient stuff either. Some of my effects like the rotary and trem, and reverb aren't usually part of any scenes and I just toggle them on and off via the GT22 when I feel like it. If its part of the song then its get its own preset usually.

Sure I can post my preset from my FM9. Thanks for taking a look for me I really appreciate it!

Attachments

• Main Rig - Cab.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
That's a big help chaps thank you. I don't do the dual amp thing and I'm not into the ambient stuff either. Some of my effects like the rotary and trem, and reverb aren't usually part of any scenes and I just toggle them on and off via the GT22 when I feel like it. If its part of the song then its get its own preset usually.

Sure I can post my preset from my FM9. Thanks for taking a look for me I really appreciate it!
Ok, got it. I'll take a look later today and let you know unless someone else does first.

Just took a peek with Fractool and you'll need to remove one of the amps to load on an FM3. Can you edit and repost?

Just took a peek with Fractool and you'll need to remove one of the amps to load on an FM3. Can you edit and repost?
Sorry forgot about that. I recently edited that one so it only had one amp block and forgot to transfer over to the FM9. There are a couple of channels in the 2nd amp block I use but I can easily use control switches on a couple of those as they are usually just a duplicate channel but with some extra gain etc for solos. This is from my Axe but it will be the same for my FM9 too.

Attachments

• Main Rig - Cab.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Sorry forgot about that. I recently edited that one so it only had one amp block and forgot to transfer over to the FM9. There are a couple of channels in the 2nd amp block I use but I can easily use control switches on a couple of those as they are usually just a duplicate channel but with some extra gain etc for solos. This is from my Axe but it will be the same for my FM9 too.
This one adds a Rotary block which extends the grid length to 13 (max for FM3 is 12 and your two amp preset was twelve blocks long so grid size worked). Can you rearrange into a 4x12 grid? You could remove the Rotary and shift over or optionally make use of Send and Return blocks to work in a smaller space.

I think preset compatibility isn't so hard going from III to 9, but the 3 has the smaller grid.

This one adds a Rotary block which extends the grid length to 13 (max for FM3 is 12 and your two amp preset was twelve blocks long so grid size worked). Can you rearrange into a 4x12 grid? You could remove the Rotary and shift over or optionally make use of Send and Return blocks to work in a smaller space.

I think preset compatibility isn't so hard going from III to 9, but the 3 has the smaller grid.
I gotcha! Yeah I could just remove the rotary as it's hardly used. If I need it it can go in its own preset. That works then! I'd just need to know how much CPU is up to on the FM3.

I gotcha! Yeah I could just remove the rotary as it's hardly used. If I need it it can go in its own preset. That works then! I'd just need to know how much CPU is up to on the FM3.
Once I import it I can always try to add it back in.
The easiest thing may be to take that first preset and delete one amp.

Once I import it I can always try to add it back in.
The easiest thing may be to take that first preset and delete one amp.
Ok no probs. There's definitely a way to do it I just need to fiddle with it to be honest. When I had the old MK1 FM3 I did manage to fit quite a bit in there. Now we have the extra 11% it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Back
Top Bottom