Friedman BE 100 VS. Recto 2 FM9

richb

Inspired
I’ve bever played the real version of either amp. I really like the FM9 version of the Friedman BE 100. It has a very “real amp in the room” feel. But why then, does the Recto 2 FM9 sound like there’s a “blanket over the cab”? Is there a way to correct this or is this what it should sound like?
Thanks for any direction.

I’ve bever played the real version of either amp. I really like the FM9 version of the Friedman BE 100. It has a very “real amp in the room” feel. But why then, does the Recto 2 FM9 sound like there’s a “blanket over the cab”? Is there a way to correct this or is this what it should sound like?
Thanks for any direction.
Here is a good recent tutorial on Rectos check
Master Volume cap and Bright cap values

Thanks but I hear the “blanket over the cab” on a lot of models. Is that correct? Should they sound like that?

Some models are definitely on the darker side but the IR that you are using is going to make the biggest difference, play around with a few of those or the Dyna cabs where if you want a brighter tone use the SM57 or SM7 dynamic mics

Maybe post a clip so we can hear what you are looking for

It ironic that you like the Freidman as I think of that as one of the darker models if ya couple of recommendations for a brighter tone

Atomica High
5153 Blue 50 watt
Marshall JVM

The cab makes a HUGE difference. I generally find that amp models are not paired with the cab I might choose. It is also the case that microphone choice makes a huge diff. So if you have an amp that sounds dark with something like a Rumble cab, try a brighter cab. If it's still dark, try SM57. I usually put Recto cabs with recto amps, but I do also audition all the possible IRs of that cab. With Dyna cab you can also grab an SM57 and stick it in the center of the dust cap for brighter tones, then drag outward to taste. Pair with a R121 for some rumble as well.

Back
Top Bottom