Friedman ASM-12

bloodninja

Inspired
I got my ASM-12 yesterday, and I'm a little nervous... I'm still on the waiting list for an AX8, but I was able to test it with my phone, iRig 2, and Bias Amp / Jamup. To be honest, it was pretty bad. Every single amp sounded flubby and like I was listing with a blanket over the speaker. I played some music through it though, and it sounded good. I've never been able to get anything to sound good with Bias Amp, so I'm hoping that maybe it's the iRig that is sucking the tone out and it will sound killer with the AX8.

I don't think you should worry -- a lot of people here enjoy theirs, including myself. I'm using it purely for stage volume and I even keep the low cut off because my patches are set for IEM/FOH direct, and they don't sound flubby at all (even with my baritone).

The ASM-12 kills with the AxeFX II and should equally kill with the AX8. I have 2 ASM-12s and am very happy. With my back turned, I'd have no idea that I was playing out of a modeler and not a great pair of tube amps. And I've played some quality gear in my time. Trust me, you'll be happy when you plug in the AX8.

I don't know a lot about the other units you plugged into the ASM-12 (phone, etc.) but I can tell you that as others have mentioned, with the Axe-FX, it sounds amazing.

The ASM-12 is awesome and doesn't sound boomy at all. Pretty much only positive reviews from Axe users who have one...I'm sure you will be happy with it.

The main reason why I bought the ASM, having played a good handful of FRFR solutions, was because it sounded the most natural to me. Natural; as in, most cab-like to anything that I'd heard played prior. It not only it sounded more cab-like, but the feel was more cab-like too. Based on that, it was a winner within seconds of first strumming that E chord..

Will have to chime and say I love my ASM-12. Perfect bridge between FRFR and Guitar Cab. Thumpy (read: Cab-like) low end which I dig. Sounds great. Dave Friedman told me himself that people switching from other budget to consumer priced FRFR solutions will think the cab sounds 'dark', because most of those other speakers are hyped in the top end as a PA speaker for vocals. I'd have to agree. Sounds dark compared to my QSCs (which I use for a PA), but not that dark compared to studio monitors (Adam AX7s and NS10s). YMMV

Awesome. There's no special setup you need to do. Just plug in and jam. Oh, FYI I usually keep the ASM's volume at around 75% of max. You will hear a noticeable hiss for a few moments after powering it on, but this is totally normal. It's only an issue if it doesn't go away.

Let is know what you think.

Thanks guys. I still haven't been able to get a decent sound from Bias/Jamup, but I think it may be the cheap interface. The AX8 arrives today, which will be the real test!

Somewhere on here I have a bunch of settings I do with the ASM-12. For the life of me I can't find my post but you should look for it. I mess with the mids, EQ block with a slight dip, dephase, etc. in the CAB block. Really makes a difference and tames the mids.

Somewhere on here I have a bunch of settings I do with the ASM-12. For the life of me I can't find my post but you should look for it. I mess with the mids, EQ block with a slight dip, dephase, etc. in the CAB block. Really makes a difference and tames the mids.

Thanks, I'll look for your presets!

My AX8 came yesterday, and I finally figured out what the deal with the ASM 12 is. The muffled sound doesn't go away until it gets relatively loud, and then it sounds amazing. It has to be waaaaaay above bedroom volume to sound good though, so I'll probably have to find a separate solution for quiet practicing.

That's interesting. How loud do you have to play to get it un-muffled? Admittedly, the cabinet does influence the sound, and it would make sense that the more you juice it up, the more the cab will resonate. To be honest, last night I was binging Game of Thrones while practicing with my Friedmans. I didn't have it where I'd say it's super-loud, but I did turn on the TV subtitles. It sounded fine to me.

It was pretty loud, much louder than you'd want it just practicing while watching TV or whatever. It's possible that I'm doing something wrong. I just read on teh AX8 forum this morning that you don't control the volume by adjusting the main output level, so maybe turning it down too low causes the muffled sound. If it's not there and not on the Friedman, then how do you adjust the volume lol?

Generally I have the volume knob on my ASM up about 3/4 of the way to max, though you can adjust this to taste. I use the output knob on the AxeFX to adjust volume from there.

Generally I have the volume knob on my ASM up about 3/4 of the way to max, though you can adjust this to taste. I use the output knob on the AxeFX to adjust volume from there.

I did set the level on the cab to 75% based on your post above. In the AX8 manual it says to turn the Out1 level up and adjust the volume on the monitors. I'll try that after work today. If it still sounds muffled, I'm afraid I might have a defective ASM.

Thanks a lot for your help Ben.

I did set the level on the cab to 75% based on your post above. In the AX8 manual it says to turn the Out1 level up and adjust the volume on the monitors. I'll try that after work today. If it still sounds muffled, I'm afraid I might have a defective ASM.

Thanks a lot for your help Ben.

Make sure you have everything hooked up right and your settings set right. Check your speaker cables too.

Any updates on this ?

I just picked up a used ASM12 on Ebay for a pretty nice price, and part of my applications for it does include some lower volume playing later at night. One of the benefits of FRFR is supposed to be they sound good, and consistent, at both quite levels and also high gig levels.

I was glancing at the PDF manual and it looks like you want the gain on the monitor above the half-way setting for optimal performance, and then for playing quieter you just run the output of the Axe at a low level. Is this what people are doing ? and/or, if you turn the gain way down on the ASM, does it not sound quite as clear at low volume ?

Back
Top Bottom