Friedman ASM-12 vs Studio Monitors for home use

Braddles

Hi Guys

I recently bought an AX8 and have been playing it through my (expensive) home stereo. It sounds great, however I would like to buy the AX8 its own speaker/speakers to play through.

If cost wasn't an issue, would you rather play through a Friedman ASM-12 or a pair of studio monitors (Yamaha HS-7)? I won't be playing it super loud (above TV levels), I just want the best sounds/playing experience for my AX8. I only play at home, so having the ability to play with a band isn't really an issue for me.

I would be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers
Brad

I have a couple of FRFR options, and use the RCF NX12SMA live, but at home I just plug into a small set of Genelec 1029As. It sounds fine and gets surprisingly loud. There is a limitation in the bass extension, but that's to be expected with such a small cone. I'm not a metal player, but do have some patches with a lot of bottom and they can push the speakers beyond what they'll reproduce cleanly if I get too volume happy. Bigger speakers can cure that limitation; something like the Friedmans or a larger monitor. I have the Presonus Scepter 8s, for example, and they will get louder than I want to sit next to, for certain.

So, if you play at sociable volumes, any decent speaker will get you there. The louder and lower you play, the more likely you'll need a larger speaker to do it well.

I recently switched from a pair of HS8's at home to the ASM-12. The Friedman is very loud but also sounds great at low volumes. It definitely has more of a cab type sound than most other active monitors or FRFR....it sounds great...

I would rather have a good set of studio monitors for just home use. Plus for what you'd pay for two ASM's you can get a very solid set of monitors and enjoy stereo.

The Yamaha HS7s would cost me A$600 vs A$1,495 for an ASM-12. I would need to get some sort of stands for the HS7s, which would reduce the cost difference. The ASM-12 does look nice!

I use a Friedman ASM-12 when doing studio recordings to monitor myself when playing guitar parts but then hear the recording back thru my cheap ass Bose computer monitors. I love monitoring thru the Friedman. I play late at night and people can be sleeping in the next room and don't hear a thing.

I'm eventually going to have to get a second ASM-12. :)

Best thing to do is try them all. I have a Friedman ASM, an Atomic CLR and a Matrix fr212. The ASM im returning and the CLR is the best out of the three IMO. But i love the combo of the Matrix and CLR. Don't get me wrong the Friedman sounds great. Just don't limit yourself! Try them all if at all possible :)

I've got both a set of studio monitors (Equator D8) and a pair of ASM-12's in my studio. Both sound great. It's hard to argue against a good set of nearfield monitors if you're just playing at home. Then again, the ASM-12s give the sound and feel of a real amp in the room. The question I'd say is not what would sound better, you can get great tones out of both, but what feel you're looking for. Do you want the feel of a real amp in the room, with the cabinet resonating, or are you fine with a recorded, album tone?

Are you looking to do mixing as well as playing? I wouldn't want to mix through the ASM-12's. They sound fantastic, but do offer their bit of coloration to the sound. Mind you, it's an awesome, guitar-oriented coloration.

Back
Top Bottom