Friedman ASM-12 Arrives Today

I’ve had my ASC12 for a couple of days. Struggling so far.
The overall feedback seems pretty good on these units. I hope for the best. Worst case I'll ship it back to Sweetwater this is why I elected not to get two at first. This will be my first FRFR go at bat. Gluck I'm sure you will figure it out. If I dont like this I may try one with coaxial speakers vs the speaker/tweeter separated.

Yeah, same Mate. I’m confidant it will work. Just need time with it. What I have found since it arrived, was paying more attention to other models as I was trying to find something to gel with, stumbled on the Mesa Lonestar model..... seriously good.
I’m going to build a patch with scenes based on that, then I will revisit my old patches. :)

The overall feedback seems pretty good on these units.
It... depends. The Friedman ASM12 colors your sound, and if you like how it colors your sound, you'll like it.
Other users who like more neutral sounding speakers don't like it so much.

Best of luck, hope you enjoy it!

My fav amp so far is Das Metal (only had AX8 about 6 days not much time yet)... with a drive and if I can get some good palm mute thumps with tight pick response on lower end I will like it a lot. If it's all muddy bass response I will hate it. I'm stuck in an 80s Metal (early Metallica/Megadeth/IcedEarth/Maiden/Testament/Anthrax...etc) world if I can get them sounds I'm going to be in bliss.

I am currently running through Mesa 50:50 power amp into 4x12 with cab sims disabled. There is a part of me that wants to mess around with Fxloop bypassing cab sim to that and the main output 1 going to Friedman /w cab sims. Should be interesting.

I love my ASM, really great sounding cab. It does add a bit of guitar cab character, but I like the way it does it so it works for me

I have an ASM-12 I keep at rehearsal and 2 of the ASC-12's I gig with. Stereo is amazing.

Last edited:
Well I didn't pay attention and didn't realize the ASM-12 only has an XLR input, oops. Have to wait for a cable. :(

Man that would kill me. I think I'd lay in bed and sleep until it came. I feel for you, bro. Hope you shelled out for overnight delivery and got an extra one just in case your dog bites through the first one. Sucks when it happens and it happens.

80's metal tone will be easy with AX8. I suspect you'll move on to a more complex tone than what was recorded back then. But to get there try a Brit 34 with a tube screamer. Watch the gain. You may think you want it but you'll find less is best.

I will give that model a listen. Thx.

Yeah it def bugged me all weekend looking at the ASM12 but I still enjoyed the AX8 thru mesa 50/50 to 4x12. So the whole time Im wondering ... is this thing going to sound better or worse and miss the 4x12 thump crossing my fingers that once I enable the cab emu again and run into ASM12 the whole new 'wall of sound' opens up..ha Torpedo pun there...

Messed with Blackened all weekend trying to get up to speed with backing track .. forearms sore. The main lick I got down but that part in between that drops to the Bb throws me off a beat still. In time Ill get it.

Im using the Mark IV model and followed Leon's guide tweaking that model. I know they were using Boogie MK IV around then if memory serves me right.

Anyhow I think cable will arrive today ;)

Ok I finally got to try it.... wow just wow.

I cannot begin to express my excitement....

Count me in for #2... soon.

Tight bass, thump, everything I wanted. I just got done jamming like I haven't in like 20 years. I'm almost 50 as of next month and the sound I have between the AX8 & ASM12 is just the bomb. So happy.

Last edited:
Ok I finally got to try it.... wow just wow.

I cannot begin to express my excitement....

Count me in for #2... soon.

Tight bass, thump, everything I wanted. I just got done jamming like I haven't in like 20 years. I'm almost 50 as of next month and the sound I have between the AX8 & ASM12 is just the bomb. So happy.

Thats great bro, happy for you. :cool:
I wish I had the same excitement. I'm trying so hard to make this work, but, its just not hitting the spot just yet. I will continue to persevere, but i'm closer to giving up and just using my Yamaha DBR12's and grabbing another amp.
:(

Thats great bro, happy for you. :cool:
I wish I had the same excitement. I'm trying so hard to make this work, but, its just not hitting the spot just yet. I will continue to persevere, but i'm closer to giving up and just using my Yamaha DBR12's and grabbing another amp.
:(
I wonder. Did you go through all the level settings? Because I was struggling big time til I saw that Austinbuddy gain stage tutorial. I honestly at one point was hating the AX8 early on thinking something was wrong and it was just all my levels.

Summary of my level settings:
AX8 output knob at max (let friedman or poweramp control main loudness level)

Check your actual instrument level in the IO section of setup (forgot what page) i lowered mine a ton.

Db levels of input.

Whenever I get some fizz I cut out the highs.

One thing Ive been guilty of is scooping too many mids and I cant believe the diff not doing that. I was punching through the blackened backing track unlike before.

Anyhow if you know the above no disrespect intended just trying to help a brother out.

I wonder. Did you go through all the level settings? Because I was struggling big time til I saw that Austinbuddy gain stage tutorial. I honestly at one point was hating the AX8 early on thinking something was wrong and it was just all my levels.

Summary of my level settings:
AX8 output knob at max (let friedman or poweramp control main loudness level)

Check your actual instrument level in the IO section of setup (forgot what page) i lowered mine a ton.

Db levels of input.

Whenever I get some fizz I cut out the highs.

One thing Ive been guilty of is scooping too many mids and I cant believe the diff not doing that. I was punching through the blackened backing track unlike before.

Anyhow if you know the above no disrespect intended just trying to help a brother out.
Cheers Mate.
Hanging in there for now.
:)

FWIW, I love the AX8, it isn't going anywhere, just unsure about the ASC12.
It's been hardwork, considering i had no dramas coaxing good tones from my DBR12s.

FWIW, I love the AX8, it isn't going anywhere, just unsure about the ASC12.
It's been hardwork, considering i had no dramas coaxing good tones from my DBR12s.
Whatever works for ya if it wasn't for differences in our ears there would be one product to suit all and no market.

Me as an example I gave up an awesome Boogie Mark V 25 head/cab to get where I'm at . Most would think I'm crazy because yeah it is an awesome amp/cab but for me didn't bode well for enjoying every aspect of the AX8... which is what I wanted to play with "more" than trying to fiddle with both sides of the equation.. just wanted to do it all on the AX8.

Wish you luck!

Back
Top Bottom