Friedman 2010 model with Friedman suggested settings is my new go to…

The higher bass in the Amp will affect the amp tone, response, etc vs cutting lows after the fact, which is just EQ.
Of course. Low cut before the amp is super common, to tighten things up. But I often see bass set low too, for the same reason. Setting bass high is an interesting strategy, unusual.

Of course. Low cut before the amp is super common, to tighten things up. But I often see bass set low too, for the same reason. Setting bass high is an interesting strategy, unusual.
Right... But low cut before the amp is not the same as low cut with the bass knob.

Maybe there's something in the tone stack circuit of the amp that's more "interactive"? I know some older amps are like that - all the tone knobs have an affect on the others...

Or maybe it's just about the quote someone else posted about "bedroom volume"?

Right... But low cut before the amp is not the same as low cut with the bass knob.

Maybe there's something in the tone stack circuit of the amp that's more "interactive"? I know some older amps are like that - all the tone knobs have an affect on the others...

Or maybe it's just about the quote someone else posted about "bedroom volume"?
Right, re your right :)

Re tone stack location and its effect, dunno, but my assumption (not fact) is that's somewhere where it has SOME effect on the distortion process and tone, i.e., it's not just output EQ.

Re bedroom volume, i.e. Fletcher Munson, that'd be more in the domain of output EQ, probably not the bass control.

But. Bottom line is that we can each check out this strategy and see what we think, without open heart surgery on our actual amps.

OP, ever tried Cameron CCV 2A/B/C/D at stock settings ?

You´d be suprised, if you are in the marshall modded camp anyway.
I actually had a prototype of the ccv because Mark was fixing a modded Marshall he did for me and gave me a proto to jam on for a week…until mine was done…

What about Dirty Shirley? Do we have any recommended settings?
I am wondering about that one myself. I own a Twin Sister and love it, just a DS X2. I briefly tried the Shirley and it sound all congested to me. Is this one worth trying to dial in? I know there is only one model in the FM9, does it clean up when the gain is lowered?

Is this one worth trying to dial in?
This one is the BEST of them all many (including me) think
The manual has this:
We recommend starting the amp with the Bass on 6, the mids at around 7 or 8 and the treble and presence at 5. Set the gain around 6 and then bring the master to taste.
But make you experiment with it - this amp is a gem of epic proportions, even if it is 40w "only"
does it clean up when the gain is lowered?
It does this and more!
Make a few channels/scenes in a preset with different gain-MV combinations and see for yourself!

This one is the BEST of them all many (including me) think
The manual has this:

But make you experiment with it - this amp is a gem of epic proportions, even if it is 40w "only"

It does this and more!
Make a few channels/scenes in a preset with different gain-MV combinations and see for yourself!
Thanks for the tip! I have had my FM9 for two weeks so I am still in the exploring/overwhelmed at options mode. I am going to try this tonight, my Twin Sister is my favorite amp head I own. So versatile. Fat Clean up to Medium/high gain stuff.

Back
Top Bottom