FRFR with coaxial drivers. What are the options?

onemoreguitar said:
I could tell you model number by model number, but it wouldn't do you a lot of good. Unless the box that it's in is built to the exact specs, it won't sound the same. Just a warning that my system is built to my criteria. It's not very heavy, but it's also not small. If you're interested, I can put you in contact with the builder.
I'll give it some thought and probably PM you in a few days. I'm just about to leave for my son's wedding on the weekend.

Terry.

xrist04 said:
Radian Apex 1200

http://www.radianaudio.com/index.ph...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=40&vmcchk=1&Itemid=40

e36cf0c17a92ac72254a6ea92d38a2f1.png

You can also spend a grip of coin and go with EAW's version of the Micro Wedge which was Raidian's name and design to begin with which EAW subsequently bought... I think the 12" sells for around $2,000 + ship
http://www.eaw.com/products/MicroWedge/Index.html

Last week I tested an active coax Tannoy V12 for two hours.

What shall I say: I was blown away.

In the last three years I heard the Axe-Fx with Atomic (No-FRFR), JBL (Scott's former fave), RCF 310 a, FBT Verve 12ma
and Atomic-FRFR.

But for me the Tannoy V12 is in a complete different league.

Sound is a matter of personal taste and the Tannoy V12 is much more expensive than the speakers named above.

But I would recommend to everyone who has the chance to hear the Axe-Fx with highest quality FRFR to do so.

IMHO the sound quality of the Axe-Fx grows extremly with the quality of the FRFR-speaker.

It seems paradoxical to me that to reproduce of the sound of something as decidedly lo-fi as a guitar amp we have to use the highest fidelity equipment possible.

It's a tribute to Cliff that the higher the fidelity of the power amp and speakers used the better the Axe sounds.
That means he's truly hitting his mark.

But wouldn't it be nice, and I'm just fantasizing here (talking out of my ass actually), if he also came up with some sort of an algorithm/effect that made it so that running the Axe through every-day, readily available, "medium-fi" FRFR equipment sounded just as good as a real lo-fi guitar amp too?

setzinger said:
Last week I tested an active coax Tannoy V12 for two hours.

What shall I say: I was blown away.

In the last three years I heard the Axe-Fx with Atomic (No-FRFR), JBL (Scott's former fave), RCF 310 a, FBT Verve 12ma
and Atomic-FRFR.

But for me the Tannoy V12 is in a complete different league.
That's good feedback setzinger.

The AxeFX sounds best to me through my studio monitors and the old set of Tannoy's I have. I'd love to try out the newer V8 and V12, but that would mean a purchase where I live. I appreciate the review.

joegold said:
But wouldn't it be nice, and I'm just fantasizing here (talking out of my ass actually), if he also came up with some sort of an algorithm/effect that made it so that running the Axe through every-day, readily available, "medium-fi" FRFR equipment sounded just as good as a real lo-fi guitar amp too?
The gotcha of course, is that each of the "medium-fi" FRFR solutions has a unique set of issues. The only approach that can work is one where you take steps to address the specific short comings of the medium-fi solution yourself, using equalization. There are of course limits to this but as BrianG often points out, it's the most pragmatic approach (buy the best you can and then fine tune with EQ).

Terry.

Tone Seeker said:
The gotcha of course, is that each of the "medium-fi" FRFR solutions has a unique set of issues. The only approach that can work is one where you take steps to address the specific short comings of the medium-fi solution yourself, using equalization.

Unfortunately most of these issues cannot be fixed with EQ.

S.R.

srooijens said:
Tone Seeker said:
The gotcha of course, is that each of the "medium-fi" FRFR solutions has a unique set of issues. The only approach that can work is one where you take steps to address the specific short comings of the medium-fi solution yourself, using equalization.

Unfortunately most of these issues cannot be fixed with EQ.

S.R.

True, but it's also true that the biggest issues, those that are immediately obvious to a listener most of the time, are errors in the frequency response domain that can be minimized using simple EQ tweaks. You don't have to get into errors pertaining to crossovers, phase, port resonance, polar response, ad nauseum to make worthwhile improvements to most of the *ahem* junk on the market.

Most of the discussions here, whether stated or implied, relate absolute reproduction quality to price. In other words, can I afford what I'd ideally like to hear? There is a practical side that comes into play for most people.

Of course, if you insist on buying a plastic cabinet that throbs at every low note, your problems are self-inflicted . . . :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom