FRFR users: What do you take to the gig?

mtlin

Inspired
I'm going to start gigging again after a long hiatus. I'm contemplating going the FRFR route. For those of you who do this, what's in your gig bag?

Goes with me:

Axe-FX and power conditioner in a 4 space rack.
Lexicon midi controller.
Suit case with cords.

Stays in the van:

Crown XLS602 in a 2 space rack.
Pair of Carvin LM15 monitors.

That reminds me- I need to pick up a junk suitcase from a thrift store to use for gigging instead of the bag. I think that is vastly better solution.

I take a rig similar to the above.

4 Space SKB with the Fractal and Furman power supply.
FBT 8ma powered monitor
Rocktron All Access Controller in a bag with my cords/cables. Also has a pocket for my set lists.
Gig Bag (I use an Access bag) with expression pedals. some more cables, spare strings, tools, guitar straps, slides, capo, tuner, gaffer's tape, flashlight, etc, etc.
Guitars with stands.

I am using a DI for back with my acoustic and Tech 21 "English" Character Pedal should the Axe-FX die. Never a hiccup in over 100+ shows though.

I have a RocknRoller Mini-cart that I've owned and used for many years now. http://www.rocknrollercart.com/

All fits neatly in my trunk, though I carry the guitars with me in the car.

Three space rack bag with the Axe-Fx and X2 rackmount wireless. Going to switch to a four space and drop in a another X2 that will connect to a Variax for acoustic, 12 string and detuned sounds and connected to input 2 on the AF.

Shure PSM400 IEM with Future Sonics earphones and custom molded earpieces. No wedges for me although am looking into the FBT Verve 12m to come up with sounds at home so I know they are FOH worthy.

Midi Mate foot controller attached to Mission Engineering SP1-R and Ernie Ball pedals.

Line 6 Pod X3 Live as my backup rig, been collecting dust for quite a while now, I should pull it out to make sure it still works. Wish I could do what Scott does but I use almost thirty different sounds throughout an evening so I need precisely tuned effects and delay times even in a backup situation so need something like this as a guarantee that the show will go on.

Tacklebox with all the tools, strings, and crap you typically need for a gig.

Have the rack and roller that Scott uses too, has saved my ass, especially when doing corporate gigs where the load in is like a mile long.

Thanks for the replies. Great idea with the Character pedal as a back up, Scott. I use their SVT pedal for recording bass direct sometimes and it sounds pretty good and is cheap and small.

What cables do you bring? Have you ever had to provide a cable to the board?

I am a former Cub Scout, so I bring lots of back up for everything. I have two of everything I actually use, sometimes more.

My cables depend on the gig.

For an Electric Guitar only Gig with powered monitor: Guitar cable for guitar to Axe-FX. Midi cable from Axe-FX to Rocktron All Access. Two short TRS/TRS 1/4" for expression pedals. XLR cable from Axe-FX to FBT powered monitor. Power cable from Furman to FBT powered monitor. If needed, I carry a Radial JDI DI so I can can go out from instrument level outs on Axe-FX to DI and then out to FOH if line level from Axe-FX is too hot. Usually house provides an XLR.

For my P&W shows, I run a 1/4" guitar cable from the Axe-FX out to their preamp they run from backstage (no XLR; line level is too hot for their setup). I also don't use the FBT, and instead have a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone extension cord for IEM's I carry.

For an Acoustic Gig (or in addition to the Electric rig setup when I run both acoustic and electric on the same gig): Add in the Fishman Aura pedal that I run the guitar into and then into the back of the Axe-FX with a short 1/4" guitar cable.

axe_rig_on_cart.jpg

MK_axe_rig_2008b_sm.jpg

MK_axe_rig_2008c_sm.jpg

I have a second expression pedal and a pair of FBT 12ma's shipping tomorrow to replace the QSC's. Other than that....this is basically it.

Enjoy!

MKeditor, does the Ground Control Pro fit into your rack for transport?

This is what I carry:

4-space shallow Gator rack for AxeFX and Monster conditioner
2 QSC K12 wedges (or just 1 for smaller venues)
Big laptop bag for Ground Control Pro and cables and expression pedal

In the car, I keep a Crate Power Block and a few stomp boxes should the AxeFX go down.

SKB-rack (Axe-FX Ultra, Shure PSM-400 InEar, Sennheiser EW-172 wireless)
Ground Control Pro and 2 Ernie Ball expression pedals
"Blueamp" or "Blueamp light" (frfr-guitaramps)

rp911 said:
MKeditor, does the Ground Control Pro fit into your rack for transport?

I place the GCP standing up in the back of my six space rack. It is not shallow. I put one pedal in the drawer and one sits in the back of the rack, on top of the drawer. Other than my guitars ...I only have three items to load in.

Scott Peterson said:
I carry a Radial JDI DI so I can can go out from instrument level outs on Axe-FX to DI and then out to FOH if line level from Axe-FX is too hot. Usually house provides an XLR.

hey scott, can you describe how you connect everything for the scenario when you have to use a DI. I've read a few posts on here where people need to use a DI to get their FOH signal working correctly and I have never used one ever coming from tube amp world.

rsf1977 said:
Scott Peterson said:
I carry a Radial JDI DI so I can can go out from instrument level outs on Axe-FX to DI and then out to FOH if line level from Axe-FX is too hot. Usually house provides an XLR.

hey scott, can you describe how you connect everything for the scenario when you have to use a DI. I've read a few posts on here where people need to use a DI to get their FOH signal working correctly and I have never used one ever coming from tube amp world.

Some boards can't take line level (somewhat rare) and many clubs with house systems simply don't have it set up to use from stage except for keyboards. Even then, I've found it sort of dumbfounds a lot of soundguys when I tell them I can give them a line level into an XLR or instrument level from 1/4" or a DI.

Most places will look at you funny, then hand you some beat to snot Whirlwind that has seen better days for you to run a 1/4" into. I like to feed FOH from Output 2 so I can control their output (set it and forget it) and still adjust my stage volume from the front of the Axe-FX (though it's not a big deal to do it from the back of my powered monitor, just a personal preference).

When I run a DI, I have a short 1/4" guitar cord from output 2 to my DI I carry. I just then take the instrument level XLR from FOH's snake and plug it into my DI's output. That's it.

No matter WHAT the house system needs, I am covered this way. I also can use the DI direct from my acoustic if the Axe-FX ever farts on a gig (not happened, knock on wood).

Depends on the gig. At my church gigs, I can usually plug into a house monitor of some sort, so I leave my 12m at home. For conventional club stuff, I take it with me.

So, total damage is:
4 space rack: axe, art SLA-2, 1u of mini-mixer and iem transmitter
pedalboard: LF jr, 2 exp pedals (it's nice and compact!)
guitars
12m or not as the case may be

Guitar
Gator rolling rack case (awesome!) with Axe and Ground Control Pro
Backpack with all cables/exp pedals/leads/slides/picks etc.
12ma

fandyboy said:
Guitar
12ma

Do you have the Gator bag rolling rack case? I was wondering because I wanted to know if the Ground Control Pro would fit on the bottom of the rack? Would it just slide into the back of the rack if it had the bottom rack space open? How do you like the GCP with the fractal?

feinberger said:
fandyboy said:
Guitar
12ma

Do you have the Gator bag rolling rack case? I was wondering because I wanted to know if the Ground Control Pro would fit on the bottom of the rack? Would it just slide into the back of the rack if it had the bottom rack space open? How do you like the GCP with the fractal?

Yes I slide in the GCP into the Gator rolling rack alongside the Axe, with a bit of padding (I just use old clothes for now) it fits perfectly and it is wedged in solid when closed. The GCP is great, two exp pedals is enough for me and I use the 4 preset mode with the 8 IA buttons. There's a great vid stickied in the "Floor Controllers & Midi CC questions" forum for setting up your GCP with the axe.

See this topic for pics of my mobile rack:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6543

Yes I slide in the GCP into the Gator rolling rack alongside the Axe, with a bit of padding (I just use old clothes for now) it fits perfectly and it is wedged in solid when closed. The GCP is great, two exp pedals is enough for me and I use the 4 preset mode with the 8 IA buttons. There's a great vid stickied in the "Floor Controllers & Midi CC questions" forum for setting up your GCP with the axe.

See this topic for pics of my mobile rack:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6543[/quote]

Thanks, a lot. Thats really cool. I just got the GCP today (traded a pedal for it) and I get my Ultra on Wednesday. My friend got a Standard and I am really looking forward to getting to mess with the Ultra.

Back
Top Bottom