FRFR Speakers (I don't think the topic is exhausted just yet...)

Alrighty well I guess it's not going to work out as I had hoped :( It's just too tight adding in my power source. I have a smaller power source that I could use or I just use the onboard tuner and make the boost as a scene. I guess that would be the way to do it right? The only other issue is that I was going to screw the FM3 onto my Temple Audio board. The screws that come with are 3.5mm x 8mm. I went to Home Depot and got the the ones that seemed to match which was the M4-0.7mm x 14 mm to accomodate the depth of the foot on the Fm3 and the pedalboard. 2 fit fine on the bottom feet but the other 2 did not fit the top feet. Either the manufacturing tolerances are slightly off top and bottom, or the packed screws were not quite what they said they were. So for now I have the FM3 attached by 2 screws and 2 zip ties. The PS170 I am not going to muck up with the Temple Audio Quick release plates and the zip ties wasn't long enough so I had to use 2 and I am not happy! It looks rather shoddy and not all that secure. Sigh..... 1675296877700.png

I used the velcro that came with my Pedaltrain.
It's unbelievably strong...almost takes a crowbar to remove the FM3.
Luckily, I never have to. BTW, 3 of those switches are boosts...plus the volume pedal.
Tuner activates on volume pedal heel down position.
20221212_100924.jpg

RLD I removed all the pedals that I had from my previous board iteration. Since it is a Temple Audio board all the pedals had the Quick Release thingys attached. They are miserable to remove. I am going to have to take heat to them and scrape and then Goo Be Gone on them to remove all of it. So I am a little gun shy now of using sticky items on the FM3 and the PS170. There is a post about using a dual switch to get to the tuner quickly. I don't think I'll be using expression pedals anytime soon, so I have room there. Part of the problem is that if I use any pedals my power source then also takes up a fair amount of real estate on the board. Sigh... 1st world problems eh?

You may find that you don't need any pedals, I don't...Fm3 has it all covered!
IMO of course.
RLD thanks, I have to admit though you have me confused. You say you don't need any pedals, "but 3 of those switches are boosts"....wait a minute, you mean that the dual switch and maybe one on the midi switches is tied to an FM3 boost? That is next level for me right now. I have to learn out to do that, and that might be an option.

I meant I don't need any added pedals...FM3 has all the comps, drive, boost, etc. pedals built in.
Yes...you build a preset with all your fx.
I have wah, comp, pitch, drive, amp, cab, chorus, verb and delay plus a gain and power amp boost....and tuner plus tap tempo and volume pedal.
The added switches on my setup turn those fx on/off.

Last edited:
Greetings programs! What would you recommend if you need/want to remove an FM-3 and FC-6 from the board from time to time? Still go with the screw mounting? Velcro? Temple plates? When i go to rehearsal there's no need to bring the Duo 34 board.
Thanks!

So as I work my way through the noobie stage I am thinking that ultimately the best way to get the most out of the FM3 will be a power amp (another discussion) and FRFR speakers.
Doing a random search through Guitar Center, Reverb, EBAY etc. It seems that the FRFR cabinets stock is limited to Headrush, some Line 6's and one type of Laney 212. I had often thought of getting a monitor to put in front of me that was a direct feed of my amp so I could always hear cleanly, but the thought of using the Headrush monitors in front of me as my amp along with the regular band monitors seems both crowded and I'm not sure how the overall sound would be when I stand next to my co-lead with his amp. I really feel like I want an amp behind me. Of course it's possible that's because that's the way it’s always been. What do you all do for live setups? While the Friedman sounds pretty good here I am hoping that the FM3 is going to crush it!

I use a Mesa 2x12 120w cab with V30’s
I’ve tried every way I can afford to use frfr
The FM3 comes alive for me when I don’t use IR’s
The coloring of tone is so noticeable I end up applying GEO equalizer, filters and parametric Ed’s to eliminate any unwanted artifacts…
The amps and effects are awesome with ir’s turned off.
100w orange pedalbaby pushes A/B power
I can have just an amp in my preset and it sounds great. Using the output eq and the tone stack eq I get fantastic amp sounds.
I would spend so much time messing with IR’s and never be satisfied.
Offsetting a reverb and or delay, with a shunt thru improves the dynamics of the effects and gives it a bigger sound.
KISS is the best way for me.
Never been more satisfied with the FM3
Fractal Rocks!

I have a mission engineering 2x12 Gemini 2P for anyone interested.
Pick it up next time you’re around Area 51

I use a Mesa 2x12 120w cab with V30’s
I’ve tried every way I can afford to use frfr
The FM3 comes alive for me when I don’t use IR’s
The coloring of tone is so noticeable I end up applying GEO equalizer, filters and parametric Ed’s to eliminate any unwanted artifacts…
The amps and effects are awesome with ir’s turned off.
100w orange pedalbaby pushes A/B power
I can have just an amp in my preset and it sounds great. Using the output eq and the tone stack eq I get fantastic amp sounds.
I would spend so much time messing with IR’s and never be satisfied.
Offsetting a reverb and or delay, with a shunt thru improves the dynamics of the effects and gives it a bigger sound.
KISS is the best way for me.
Never been more satisfied with the FM3
Fractal Rocks!

I have a mission engineering 2x12 Gemini 2P for anyone interested.
Pick it up next time you’re around Area 51
I'm confused ... you use PB into 212 V30s with no IRs? (standard practice), or, you use PB into Gemini FR with no IRs? (less standard practice but if it sounds good, its good👍) , or both? - for the latter, tho I've also gotten "good" sounds into FR speakers using eq instead of IRs, to get a single speaker system to yield many widely varied authentic mic'd cab tones (ie - AC30-212Blu, thru Plexi-412GB, thru Recto-412V30, thru Fender-Jensen??, thru... etc + the added tonal effect of various mic / mic preamp / mic placement options), IRs into FR seems most convenient to me because I don't have the time, skills, or tools to develop my own detailed custom EQ curves to precisely and accurately model all the varied mic'd cab sounds I want to hear from a single speaker source. I usually (basement hacker) play varied sounds thru IRs into studio monitor FR or FR cabs via Matrix, but I also have several traditional g cabs in the room that I sometimes go to with non-IR'd presets (also via Matrix p.a., or via tube amp head returns) - definitely, a cool and different sound/feel but one-trick ponies to some extent given the limited and unique frequency response ranges of those traditional guitar speakers compared to IR/customEQ > FR speakers (or even compared to mic'd traditional cab given various mic / mic preamp possibilities that enhance the raw tones).

Last edited:
I'm confused ... you use PB into 212 V30s with no IRs? (standard practice), or, you use PB into Gemini FR with no IRs? (less standard practice but if it sounds good, its good👍) , or both? - for the latter, tho I've also gotten "good" sounds into FR speakers using eq instead of IRs, to get a single speaker system to yield many widely varied authentic mic'd cab tones (ie - AC30-212Blu, thru Plexi-412GB, thru Recto-412V30, thru Fender-Jenson??, thru... etc + the added tonal effect of various mic / mic preamp / mic placement options), IRs into FR seems most convenient to me because I don't have the time, skills, or tools to develop my own detailed custom EQ curves to precisely and accurately model all the varied mic'd cab sounds I want to hear from a single speaker source. I usually (basement hacker) play varied sounds thru IRs into studio monitor FR or FR cabs via Matrix, but I also have several traditional g cabs in the room that I sometimes go to with non-IR'd presets (also via Matrix p.a., or via tube amp head returns) - definitely, a cool and different sound/feel but one-trick ponies to some extent given the limited and unique frequency response ranges of those traditional guitar speakers compared to IR/customEQ > FR speakers (or even compared to mic'd traditional cab given various mic / mic preamp possibilities that enhance the raw tones).
When using frfr I have to add filters and parametric eq to adjust the color the IR adds.
FRFR without an IR doesn't sound good too me.
I use the V30 cuz everything I play sounds good thru them
Without the IR coloring I have found that the amp sims are more responsive, like an actual amp, to eq adjustment.
So the mesa cab is replacing added eq blocks to shape the amp before it goes into an IR, followed by a parametric EQ to cut unwanted range to the frfr . Too much for my ADHD
There is more than enough tonal shaping for me with just the amp and effects.
I do not do any recording or re-amping so I'm only looking for a decent playback sound here in my cave of solace.
I'm clearly not good at explaining myself. All I know is what I hear sounds so much better with the V30's

When using frfr I have to add filters and parametric eq to adjust the color the IR adds.
FRFR without an IR doesn't sound good too me.
I use the V30 cuz everything I play sounds good thru them
Without the IR coloring I have found that the amp sims are more responsive, like an actual amp, to eq adjustment.
So the mesa cab is replacing added eq blocks to shape the amp before it goes into an IR, followed by a parametric EQ to cut unwanted range to the frfr . Too much for my ADHD
There is more than enough tonal shaping for me with just the amp and effects.
I do not do any recording or re-amping so I'm only looking for a decent playback sound here in my cave of solace.
I'm clearly not good at explaining myself. All I know is what I hear sounds so much better with the V30's
Understood - makes sense - finding IRs can be painful - for me the cab tone is difficult - I get something I think sounds good / correct, and a while later I have a different perception. I've purchased tonnes of them to get to a handful I regularly use. Cablab4 makes dialing them in a lot less frustrating for me.

Isn’t it just use iIR’s for recording and leave them off for live use ? Go traditional guitar cab and power amp live. Is that the best way to use it?

Back
Top Bottom