FRFR Speakers (I don't think the topic is exhausted just yet...)

Chrose1201

Inspired
So as I work my way through the noobie stage I am thinking that ultimately the best way to get the most out of the FM3 will be a power amp (another discussion) and FRFR speakers.
Doing a random search through Guitar Center, Reverb, EBAY etc. It seems that the FRFR cabinets stock is limited to Headrush, some Line 6's and one type of Laney 212. I had often thought of getting a monitor to put in front of me that was a direct feed of my amp so I could always hear cleanly, but the thought of using the Headrush monitors in front of me as my amp along with the regular band monitors seems both crowded and I'm not sure how the overall sound would be when I stand next to my co-lead with his amp. I really feel like I want an amp behind me. Of course it's possible that's because that's the way its always been. What do you all do for live setups? While the Friedman sounds pretty good here I am hoping that the FM3 is going to crush it!

If you want the best, both of course! Get a powered frfr pair of speakers, and also a traditional cab with power amp.

Traditional you mean my Carvin V212 as shown? I am wondering though if that will defeat the purpose of the FM3, hence the OP.

I have a pair of QSC K12.2, but one of these days I’m thinking it would cool to hear what the QSC’s combined with Out 2 with no cab or power amp modeling into the return of my PRS tube amp into my 2x12 cab would sound like.

Most of all you guys are really kicking the ABB!👍

So as I work my way through the noobie stage I am thinking that ultimately the best way to get the most out of the FM3 will be a power amp (another discussion) and FRFR speakers.
Doing a random search through Guitar Center, Reverb, EBAY etc. It seems that the FRFR cabinets stock is limited to Headrush, some Line 6's and one type of Laney 212. I had often thought of getting a monitor to put in front of me that was a direct feed of my amp so I could always hear cleanly, but the thought of using the Headrush monitors in front of me as my amp along with the regular band monitors seems both crowded and I'm not sure how the overall sound would be when I stand next to my co-lead with his amp. I really feel like I want an amp behind me. Of course it's possible that's because that's the way its always been. What do you all do for live setups? While the Friedman sounds pretty good here I am hoping that the FM3 is going to crush it!

The “FRFR” designation is not a standardized term used by the industry, it’s a marketing term only, used to hint at the potential use for the cabinet.

Several of us use EVs PXM-12MP stage monitors, which easily fit into the “FRFR” concept as they have a very flat frequency response and are full-range. They’re also easily mounted on poles and their EQ adjusted for full-space use or set on different edges to project at several different angles, and the EQ again adjusted for half-space use to fit every stage. They are able to cruise at 100+ dB without breaking a sweat.

They also sound great with the Fractals.

PS - Electro Voice is owned by Dynacord, and their products are available around the world. They're a big fish in a big pond.
PPS - The PXM-12MP have a mode that defeats the coaxial tweeter, resulting in a powered cab with a single 12". EV knows a thing or two about 12" speakers and guitar amplification, so, though I haven't used that mode, I expect it would sound pretty good. Two of them side by side, or stacked so they're reinforcing each other should keep up with a 4x12.

Last edited:
Yep, Out 1 to FOH, Out 2 to one or two of the DIY Celestion F12 cabs. I incorporated Dayton plate amps to make my cabs self-powered. Works great, sounds great, feels great. Just did a gig with a Deep Purple tribute band, used a single preset all night with the Plexi Jumped (6CA7 maybe?), one dedicated Solo scene with a 3 dB boost and some delay, and a few other scenes used sparingly. In spite of the worst noise interference I've ever experienced I thought it sounded terriffic.

You won't have any problem recreating the sound in your vid with Fractal gear
I use a FRFR (CLR) in my live rig and have for years.
I love it and would not use a stand alone cab unless I had to.
I've used my FM3 infront and in FX return of tube amps and l like the CLR better.
You never know what type stage you're gonna be put on and the wedge angle plus pole mount option has saved my ass a few times.20220704_193205.jpg

Last edited:
Like others here I use output 1 to FOH and output 2 to go to an FRFR speaker behind me. I use a Xitone powered speaker, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get those nowadays. I hear great things about the EV PXM-12MP. For me, the goal is to travel light and have a quick setup. Using a traditional cab and power amp defeats that goal. YMMV.

What I do is send Output 1 to FOH, and used the “copy” feature to Output 2. Output 2 I send to a Powerstage 170 then into a Bogner 3534 1x12 ported cab loaded with the Celestion FRFR speaker F12-X200.
I’ve been using the celestion triple cone with powerstage 170 into a 1x12 very happy- like This better then my EV more traditional guitar cab sound IMHO - the EV is still a great choice too, just not used to the wedge sound with speaker facing me. Tried moving EV on its side helped but then have to change EQ around. FRFR never ending journey

Thanks again all I am set. I bought a pair of the Celestion F12-X2000's. A local amp builder is building me a pair of 112 speaker cabs with a pair of outputs to I can run both speakers in parallel with one in front of me as a wedge like RLD has and another behind me in a traditional cabinet setup. His cabinet is not ported but the speaker will also be rear mounted. This is done based on his experience and Celestions blessing. If I don't like the speaker in front of me I'll have them both behind me. I also got a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170. So on my board I plan on keeping my Peterson Strobe Tuner, my Friedman Golden Pearl as a boost the PS170 and the FM3 and I should be all set. I imagine the sound guy will run an XLR from Out 1 to the FOH board and then I'll run a 1/4" cable from the FX Send 1. Yes? Or do I need to do it as mentioned "Output 1 to FOH, and the “copy” feature to Output 2." The plan per the attached picture is the guitar will input to the Temple Audio board from there to the tuner, out to the FM3 input. Out 2 to FOH and Out 1 to the PS170 out to the Friedman Golden Pearl to the Temple Audio board out to the FRFR speakers. Thoughts are always welcome and appreciated

Attachments

• FM3 Pedalboard setup.jpg
    FM3 Pedalboard setup.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 26
Thanks again all I am set. I bought a pair of the Celestion F12-X2000's. A local amp builder is building me a pair of 112 speaker cabs with a pair of outputs to I can run both speakers in parallel with one in front of me as a wedge like RLD has and another behind me in a traditional cabinet setup. His cabinet is not ported but the speaker will also be rear mounted. This is done based on his experience and Celestions blessing. If I don't like the speaker in front of me I'll have them both behind me. I also got a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170. So on my board I plan on keeping my Peterson Strobe Tuner, my Friedman Golden Pearl as a boost the PS170 and the FM3 and I should be all set. I imagine the sound guy will run an XLR from Out 1 to the FOH board and then I'll run a 1/4" cable from the FX Send 1. Yes? Or do I need to do it as mentioned "Output 1 to FOH, and the “copy” feature to Output 2." The plan per the attached picture is the guitar will input to the Temple Audio board from there to the tuner, out to the FM3 input. Out 2 to FOH and Out 1 to the PS170 out to the Friedman Golden Pearl to the Temple Audio board out to the FRFR speakers. Thoughts are always welcome and appreciated
I'm a bit confused about this. Are you running the power amp into a boost? Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like you are going to cook that pedal (e.g. running power into a pedal that is meant to take an instrument level signal). To me it seems like you want that boost pedal before the power amp.

Also, the way you have this your boost is not going to have any impact on your FOH feed. This. might be OK if you expect the sound person to bring you up when you boost, but I've never counted on anything like that (I always have my FOH signal boosted 2-3 db and let the sound guy know that I'm set up that way so he can leave me some headroom).

I'm a bit confused about this. Are you running the power amp into a boost? Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like you are going to cook that pedal (e.g. running power into a pedal that is meant to take an instrument level signal). To me it seems like you want that boost pedal before the power amp.

Also, the way you have this your boost is not going to have any impact on your FOH feed. This. might be OK if you expect the sound person to bring you up when you boost, but I've never counted on anything like that (I always have my FOH signal boosted 2-3 db and let the sound guy know that I'm set up that way so he can leave me some headroom).
Thanks, makes sense! That's why I posted this, for people smarter than myself to comment :) I shall relocate the boost in front of the PS170.

Thanks, makes sense! That's why I posted this, for people smarter than myself to comment :) I shall relocate the boost in front of the PS170.
No worries. I kind of want to know what would happen if you run a 170W power amp into an instrument pedal, but I REALLY don't want you to sacrifice your beautiful pedal for my curiosity. ;)

Anyway, glad it was helpful.

FWIW: Except for the boost pedal this is more or less what I do. For the fusion band I play in I have a Headrush 108 I use for my personal monitoring and feed that from output 2 and go FOH with output 1. For the rock band I play with, they like a traditional super loud stage, so I run output 2 (with no cab block) to my PS200 and then into a traditional 4x12, with output 2 (that does have a cab block) to FOH. I really like the PS200. We play pretty loud (the other guitarist has a Friedman BE50 and 4x12) and I never have it more than 50% up.

If I were you I'd use the FM3 tuner and boost...lots of different boosts in the FM3 and you're sure to like one.
You could also easily add a volume pedal after the amp block and that's another type of boost

If I were you I'd use the FM3 tuner and boost...lots of different boosts in the FM3 and you're sure to like one.
You could also easily add a volume pedal after the amp block and that's another type of boost
Agreed. I assumed OP likes the mojo of the pedals, so didn't mention, but I use the FM3 for both of these and am incredibly happy.

Understood and I do use the boosts etc through the unit. In this case this is my Friedman Golden Pearl which I like as a boost just if I need it over and above the FM3, and the tuner is my favorite strobe tuner and it too is already on the board. While going to the FM3 tuner may be simple I am still new to it and there's enough that I have to think about for now without having to think about getting to the tuner too. Maybe when I have enough hours on the FM3 and I'm more comfortable bouncing around. Try this one then: 1675260288455.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom