FRFR speaker

axegnome

I know this has probably come up a number of times before but what is everyone using as a powered stage monitor for their AF unit. looking for something smaller for small basement jams or small clubs . No big stages .

gary

Currently, the best units for the money seem to be the Atomic CLRs.

This thread probably belongs in the "Amps and Cabs" folder, though. If you go there, you'll find quite a bit of discussion on the topic of FRFR cabs.

Tons of great solutions out there--try as many as you can in person, its the only way to really be sure. Cliff is using Event Opals to dial in the unit FWIW.

Atomic CLR's seem to be everyone's favorites. Also QSC K12's and K10's, Also EV ELX 112's are nice and a bit cheaper if your on a budget. I use the EV's and like them alot. They are a little boomy on the bottom end but can be dialed in with the global EQ.

I use a QSC K12 and it can hang with a drummer and bass player in a trio setting on its own. For smaller gigs I use it as my backline and I think it sounds really good. Lots of praise for the CLR's on this forum for sure - if you have the opportunity to try them out, go for it.

I am currently using 2 Mackie DLM 12. I bought these refurbished so I payed $525 each. I must say they sound pretty darn great for the price. They are incredibly light, have two separate inputs so you can use it as a Standalone PA if need be. Has a full bank of digital processing. You can run it FRFR in flat mode. I will be buying the CLRs this year though. Those are the ones I wanted last year when I bought my axe but didnt have all that money at once. My opinion: The Best deserves the Best meaning the axe and CLR

specs:

2000W power via Class-D amplification
12″ LF woofer / 1.75″ HF compression driver
Incredibly compact, lightweight design
Powerful TruSource DSP delivers seamless clarity, consistent coverage and unmatched fidelity
DL2 Integrated Digital Mixer
Powerful, one-touch digital mixer with bright OLED screen
Two highly versatile input channels with FX
Independent channel level, 3-band EQ and effects control
16 great-sounding channel effects include reverb, chorus and delay
XLR/TRS combo and dual RCA connectors
Handles mic, line, stereo and instrument signals
Unmatched system control for professional applications
Multi-band feedback destroyer
Six speaker modes deliver the perfect voicing for your application
Alignment delay up to 300ms for delay stack, balcony, etc.
Three memory locations for instant venue setting recall
Smart Protect DSP dynamically protects amp/driver
Innovative ultra-compact design
1/3 smaller than a traditional 2-way
Fit an entire DLM system in nearly any car
Stack them up for storage
Pole-mountable on tripod or atop DLM12S using SPM300 speaker pole
Flyable via standard M10 rigging hardware
Wall-mount them using SWM300 articulated arm for stealthy, powerful install system
Roadworthy PC-ABS cabinet with pro black finish and ergonomic top carry handle
Rugged, powder-coated 20 gauge steel grille
Integrated kickstand delivers perfect angle for personal monitor use
Ridiculously lightweight (31 lbs. / 14.1 kg)

I also use the QSC K12. I went back and forth utilizing Guitar Centers awesome return policy and out of all the ones I tried the K12s were the best. Insanely loud, nice flat response and great options in the controls.

Hi, If you move around more than 2 steps, it's best to chose ones that have a 90 degree horizontal spread OR 2 speakers, horizontally. I use the 2 single 12" Neo Atomics. I justified the cost since they serve a double duty, as studio monitors AND live guitar/bass cabs.

Last edited:
I use a single qsc k12 and it is more than powerful enough. I use it as a monitor for my Guitar/Axefx signal and also in series brfore FOH for my own vocal monitor. I can't seem to trust our older passive wedges and power amps. I love the feeling of not being so dependent on others and others' gear. Control freak...perhaps.

In the thread about Blue MoFi headphones Cliff said he is using Event 20/20, the older passive version, not the more expensive Opal.

Gabe

Last edited:
I've been using the RCF NX12SMA wedge monitor for quite a while, both at home and at gigs of all sizes. Sounds incredible, small footprint, has been bulletproof in live gigging for me. The Axe FX also sounds great on all studio monitors I have tried it with, most recently some smaller Genelecs. In a home gigging situation, I'm not sure I wouldn't lean towards the studio monitors as a best size/use option.

I use the Xitones, and I have tried several from Qsc K12's, Mackie Dlm's, to various others from other brands the Xitones work best for me so far.

Back
Top Bottom