FRFR speaker vs Guitar Cab ....advice

Hello Axe-mates

Have been using the Axe-II since FW-8.... and it`s all been a thrill. Love FW12 must say.
I`m using a Matrix-1000 poweramp through a 2-12 VHT delivarance speaker cab. (I sold my VHT 2/50/2 poweramp)
Besides the expence, I have stuck to my guitar cab cause the Axe amp block have all these parameters ....have been happy with not have to tweek anoter block...the cab.

Now I`m thinking of getting FRFR speakers active or passive so I can use all of the Cab IR`s ......cause ... I dont know....like to try it all.

I`m a rock/pop kind of player... (No church)

What am I missing using a standard guitarcab? I`ve heard samples of the great cleans & effects shimmer with CLR etc...

Advice /Opinions?

Take your guitar with you and come over and try.

Hello Axe-mates

Have been using the Axe-II since FW-8.... and it`s all been a thrill. Love FW12 must say.
I`m using a Matrix-1000 poweramp through a 2-12 VHT delivarance speaker cab.

Now I`m thinking of getting FRFR speakers active or passive so I can use all of the Cab IR`s ......cause ... I dont know....like to try it all.

Advice /Opinions?

I'd stick with what you have. Especially if it is working for you and you like what you are hearing. I bought a pair of active FRFR speakers because they are lighter than my 4x12's and FRFR gives you the option of using cab IRs, but I'm thinking of using the Axe FXII with a stereo power amp and real cabs. I'm not totally satisfied with using active FRFR speakers.

Personally, when I first got my AFX, I was hoping that I could just run it into my 2x12 G12M cab and hear pure heaven... well, that wasn't quite the case, sadly. I tried everything I could, but I could never get the Axe to sound decent through my guitar cab, to be honest. I began running it through my Yamaha H50's in my studio and I was becoming quite happy with the sound I was hearing, which led me to do alot more research on this topic and figured that FRFR was the way for me to try. I also decided on this route due to the fact that I had just spent alot of $$ on this "magic black box" and by going into a "colored" guitar cab, I realized that I would be wasting all the cabs, mics and custom IR potential that the AFX offered, as I would be turning those things off generally when running into a typical guitar cab.

Now I haven't tried the Matrix NL cabs or anything, but I did have Mick at Xitone build me a custom 1x12 FRFR cab for this thing and so far I'm very happy with the results, even though I'm still searching for my tone and learning the ins/outs of the AFX. By powering it with a Matrix GT1000, I do feel that it does come very close to the "guitar amp" feel for me, but some say they don't get that result and would rather play through a typical guitar cab. In time, I'd like to try the new Matrix cabs and hear/feel the differences and compare, but can't really afford that venture at the moment. But as of now, my Xitone has been giving me a great tone and will be what I'm building all my presents around for now, with no regrets on my decision to go FRFR with my current rig.

I am pretty much the same as chris; if I start tweaking on cabs, I usually end up using one of two or three that I like, no matter which amp it is. There's that Mad Oak that Cliff gave out on the forum before, and the 1x12 boogafunk evm, maybe a couple others. Actually, I started using the AXE through a boogafunk 1x12, and I have it sitting in the corner now, so it's funny that after spending several thousand on frfr cabs, I pick the friggin boogafunk 1x12 sim instead of just using the real cab. I am an idiot.

For me, in a gig senario you dont want lots of different irs being used for various sounds in a set. It kind of makes things dis-jointed.

I think having them all available to TRY and find one or two that work then tailor you patches around those couple is great - and you cant do that with real cabs, however once you have that then their isnt much difference in using the AFX and cab sims v using a real cab or two.

For recording its completely different however, and you can use as many irs as you like on different recordings.

Thank you .I`will. My favorite guitar is on repair for changing a pot. I sholud have been redy yesterday, but gitarhuset have send me wrong type.. so am waiting for them to send me a new.

Kult. Tlf nr mitt står vel i signaturen på en av e-postene.

Jeg har masse gitarer, men det er alltid greit å ha med sin egen også.

I was using FRFR for a while. It certainly has its place and the summary in the OP is pretty good.

For me, as 99.9% of my guitar playing is in my own space or small venues where the guitar is not going through the PA, running the AxeFX through a power amp and cab just makes more sense. I prefer the sound of it. Essentially, I get the amp in the room sound because it really is in the room ;-)

I am with you on this. I do about 40 or so shows a year in NW NJ and I have yet to play in a club that had a sound system. We use our PA only for vocals.

I really liked the way my Axe sounded with the Matrix amp/Q12 combination. For me it was the easiest FRFR solution to dial in and according to other folks on this board my patches translated easily to other FRFR monitors.

However, I took a chance and purchased a pair of the Matrix NL12 cabs when they first came out ... and man I have to tell you I am so glad I did.

these are real guitar cabs that fall somewhere between FRFR and a real guitar cab and they were made specifically with Axe players in mind. They sound incredible with every amp sim I have thrown at them and they weigh nothing (17 pounds each).

After playing the NL12s it will be very difficult for me to go back to FRFR monitors unless the situation/gig calls for it.

That being said, I would love to try their FR2x12 cab -- from all reports, the thing can push some real air.

I'm on the opposite boat.
Been using the Axe with studio monitors ever since I got it, I was used to playing a Mark 5 through a Mesa 4x12 prior to that.
It's amazing for recordings, but I really miss the feel of playing through a real cab. Not because the IRs aren't good, but just because it's a completely different experience.
I would really like to try an Axe through a power-amp and a guitar cab

Kult... eg har også ein bra ibanez RG2550E som den forrige eiger bytta ut pickups på. Den har Bare Knuckle Painkiller i neck og bridge, og Bare Knuckle Trilogy Suite i middle . Kjøpte de på impuls. En veldig god float trem. ,,,,, men etter å ha brukt EBMM gitarer .... love and afection for desse.
Har litt mykje unger de neste 14d men tar gjerne ein tur på besøk til deg etter det : - ). Hadde vore artig og hørt CLR`s ne dine mm

Last edited:
Thank again you all for your inputs on this. I`m going to visit Kriig and try his FRFR system... and he can try my 2-12 VHT cab if he wants to. Will let you all know how it turned out. Will read all posts one mor time. Thanks again. Great Forum!!

So did I just read that right? That I should be taking off the cab sim if I'm using my Matrix CFRs?

Back
Top Bottom