FRFR speaker (like atomic CLR) vs. just a PA?

Aeser

Inspired
Been wanting to eventually get a FRFR speaker set up for my AFX3 down the road so I could potentially use my AFX3 in a band setting, but the more I think about it starting to just wonder about putting together just a nice PA system instead that way I could use not only the AFX3 but also have vocals and laptop with backing tracks from ableton and whatever else I’d want, which I wouldn’t get with the atomic CLR.

I guess I’m wondering how much, if any better does the atomic CLR and other comparable FRFR speakers sound with the AFX3 than just a decent PA system? Since plenty of people seem to be using AFX3’s just straight into PA’s live anyway, and people say the FRFR solutions don’t really sound much like the whole amp in a room sound anyway due to the frequencies of tube power amps and most guitar cabs rolling off the highs and kind of pushing the mids anyway.

just started to seem like a better bang for the buck to just put the most resources into the best PA system I could build them I could potentially run everything through it, not just the AFX3.

I’m using the QSC Touchmix 16 mixer with QSC mains and subwoofer. Expensive system, but really nice, and would work fine for your application. I use IEM also. I prefer an amp behind me. 😀🎸

I have both. For my needs, the PA is definitely a way better solution. Every band member has IEMs. Our PA consists of 3x EV Evolve 50's (L/C/R) and 1xEKX15 Sub. We use an A&H Qu-Pac as the main board w/AB168 snake.

Jbl srx pa here, srx812 sound amazing for axefx3, both as monitors and as foh (with matching srx subs, basically everything sounds great foh)

I also sometimes use my dsr112 as monitors to save space/weight.
In a mix it's fine, but solo I can miss the low end a little bit depending on the gig.

100% if you need a pa, go this way.
Pre covid I even started to pick up some gigs just running sound for bands - a good, versatile pa rig can be used in many scenarios. (And may even make you some $$ depending on your local scene)

I use CLR's for FOH (with subs) and for my personal monitor (everyone else in band is IEM). Sound awesome. Better than the typical prosumer speakers (I A/B'ed them against QSC K series and it was no contest).

Yea this was about what I was thinking. I guess I was just curious as to the sound difference with regard to just the AFX through an FRFR speaker vs. through a decent PA?

A decent PA is FRFR (in theory). Nothing is truly FRFR, but the CLR is pretty close, and can't be beat for the price. I will say one thing though, I have to use 2 per side for fairly loud classic rock in medium sized clubs, where I have seen other bands get as loud with a single QSC K12 per side. But the two CLR's give me much better dispersion than a single K12. So I am able to get even sound throughout the listening area instead of a narrow beam that the K12 creates. And the CLR is noticeably clearer and less harsh.

As far as I understand it, Frfr doesn't sound like an amp in the room because of the directionality of a cab and how an IR is captured with a microphone/preamp baked in. There's also the dreaded tweeter squeal that has plagued me while coil splitting a particular guitar.

The perks of widely available frfr speakers over niche speakers is that they're widely available if you ever need to replace or rent one. You can't just buy a CLR or xitone at the local guitar center.

It's all really up to preference. There's something special about a traditional cab in the room. But I'm happy with frfr too, even some less than perfect ones. After all, it's more about the notes that you play than whatever you are playing through.

With that said, I own an axe fx and have tone chased through thousands of dollars in a near addict like frenzy while searching for perfection. I won't be trading in my Axe fx, but I will be searching for notes rather than speakers for my wallet's sake 😂😂.

Fractal gear will get you there as long as you aren't playing through absolutely garbage speakers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom