FRFR Setup Question

jz3r0

Hey guys! Fractal n00b here, just got my Axe-FX II last August and I'm having a blast with it so far! Would first off like to thank Cliff and the entire team at Fractal Audio for developing such an amazing unit. The versatility and tone is just flat out incredible. Now, onto my question. :D

Currently, I'm running my Axe into my studio monitors for just jamming and recording, but I'd like to use my Axe at shows as well. My question is, would an FRFR wedge monitor be enough to play shows at smaller venues such as clubs/bars? I was leaning towards the Mackie HD1221, using that with my Axe FX and the MFC. I'd run a cab + poweramp, but I would prefer to simulate the cab on the Axe FX, as that is one of the main reasons I purchased it :mrgreen . Is it realistic to use the HD1221 as a 'cab' and face it towards the audience, or should I stick to running that as a personal sound monitor and plugging into the venues PA?

Thanks!

From my experience your gonna need your own rig sometime. You should try a few different FRFR's to see which suits you. Also check in and post this in Amps and cabs

+1 on all the info so far. I would also add that you will want to place it on a pole if your using it as back line support.

Matrix GT1000FX & CFR12 is a excellent FRFR solution for AXE FX II...I've been using it live...connecting simultaneous to FRFR speaker, guitar cab and direct to mixer...excellent tones...

AxeFXIIMatrixGT1000FXwithStand.jpg

Matrix GT1000FX & CFR12 is a excellent FRFR solution for AXE FX II...I've been using it live...connecting simultaneous to FRFR speaker, guitar cab and direct to mixer...excellent tones...

AxeFXIIMatrixGT1000FXwithStand.jpg

I really like this setup, but would prefer to not have a poweramp and just go right into a powered speaker. Being a typical broke college student, I'm trying to minimize costs as much as possible.

Are poweramps a better choice? Do they affect the tone?

Edit: Also, I love that rack case! Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

I really like this setup, but would prefer to not have a poweramp and just go right into a powered speaker. Being a typical broke college student, I'm trying to minimize costs as much as possible.

Are poweramps a better choice? Do they affect the tone?

Edit: Also, I love that rack case! Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

Poweramps will let you have the option to connect to FRFR speakers or guitar cabs which would be useful in a loud environment where to feel like a real guitar amp...but some of the some of the better powered speakers is quite costly too. So it depends on your budget and preference. I bought the 3u Gator rack case...make sure you choose the standard rack case instead of the shallow version...the shallow version might not fit well for AXE FX II length..

Poweramps will let you have the option to connect to FRFR speakers or guitar cabs which would be useful in a loud environment where to feel like a real guitar amp...but some of the some of the better powered speakers is quite costly too. So it depends on your budget and preference. I bought the 3u Gator rack case...make sure you choose the standard rack case instead of the shallow version...the shallow version might not fit well for AXE FX II length..

Okay, thanks!

I guess my question has changed now: is poweramp+passive FRFR better than an active FRFR setup? I'd like to use my FRFR as my 'cab', but also have the option to use it as a wedge as well and go direct into a venue's PA system.

Okay, thanks!

I guess my question has changed now: is poweramp+passive FRFR better than an active FRFR setup? I'd like to use my FRFR as my 'cab', but also have the option to use it as a wedge as well and go direct into a venue's PA system.

this question will not get a Yes or No answer, it' just the begining in opening Pandora's box, the technology is changing as we speak and most of us are waiting for the results of the latest creation- new Matrix CFR12 (passive for now but active is on the way) and the highly anticipated but not yet released New Coincident Linear Reference Atomic Cabs (both passive and active) that are possibly making an announcement about a launch before months end... we are all waiting right now to see what the next 'best' option is... there is such a plethora of info available via the SEARCH function it's mind numbing

things you might want to look into- QSC K10 and K12, RCF NX12-SMA, EV ELX 112P, Atomic cabs and wedges, XITone Cabs, etc... many times each product is available in both passive and active form... my suggestion is start with what you know, ie. (most likely) guitar cabs and move to FRFR after you've found a way to make it work for you using a power amp/guitar cab, otherwise it can be a bit daunting... best of luck

Back
Top Bottom